Chapter 1

Maybe it's my fate to see my little sis in her white dress, the kind that means I am getting married and me the big sister to be the bridesmaid still single and bitter from her last relationship but can you blame me?
He told me at the last minute when the world thought he was gonna proposed and maybe I will be in the white dress getting nervous and beautiful at the same time like Cheryl. "Oh God I sound like a bitch right now." I groan looking at the mirror rehearsing my poker face when all eyes are on me secretly asking me the infamous question. Even the old folks think I am somehow cursed but if only I had that billionaire title added to my name maybe my name coming from their lips will be an upgrade like the bad bitch billionaire which they can go ahead and explain I am Miss independent who doesn't need a man but this is the harsh truth, I am broke, single and that alone is bad for my reputation and all I need is to buy cats and my story will finally end.

He is right though, we're not meant to be but I am meant to be cursing his name for being the first to break up with me with those cliche words.
I am happy for my little sis, she deserves the best in life and only if I could pull that poker face correctly I can assure myself that there won't be a headline of a crazy bridesmaid sending people to their graves at her little sis' wedding.
"Hey Faith, how do I look?" Cheryl twirls showing her perfect teeth and the elegant wedding gown and I smile although this is the nth time she has asked me.
"Like the golden bride and only the rare lucky men dare to dream of having you." I said holding her hands in mine and she smiles.
"You're beautiful Cher."
Her eyes were warm and kind but they also have that looks that trigger your mind to think about what they think you're thinking and even if I am jealous it is harmless.
I do wish I was in a white dress, my family happy and there will be a man waiting for me at the altar but it's okay because I am not compatible at the moment and I want to focus on my sinking job if I need an upgrade on my name.
"What are you thinking about?" She asked, her eyes searching mine and I playfully roll my eyes. "Stop being a detective and be the bride you are Cher." I run a hand through her veil and she stares at me with concern.

"But Faith..." She trails as the door opens and I was grateful.
"Oh my baby!" Mum gasps and I silently thank God for saving my ass.
I watch mum as she slowly walks towards Cheryl with those amazing eyes a daughter would be dying to see in her mother's eyes.
"My baby is so beautiful." Mum sniffs back the tears and I rub her arms and Cheryl hugs her. "Wait till you see her in the morning." I sing making them laugh and Cher glares at me.
"Wait for me!" My baby sis Shirley squeaks throwing her arms around us and we laugh.
Cheryl is a successful wedding planner and Shirley is in college. "I am so proud of my girls." Mum said eyes radiating pride and Cheryl and I share a glance. We hold our hands and pray and I help Cheryl sit in the car and Shirley joins the other family members in a different car.

"Faith..." Cheryl nervously calls touching my arm making me startle. "Huh?" I turn my attention from the window to look at her and she anxiously bits her lower lip.
"I'm afraid." She blurted out and I hold her hands rubbing it gently to comfort her. "It's not like Manuel won't show up." I chuckle and then stop when I look at her and clear my throat.
"Sorry, bad joke. You're nervous because there's no turning back to join the chronic single group and trust me grooms not showing up happens in stories." I tease and she chuckles. I move closer and hug her and mum's magic eyes calm her when she glances at us.
Dad was already at the church making sure that everything was according to plan although we've told him that is the work of a wedding planner but dad will always be dad when it comes to his daughters. We arrived at the parking lot and most people were standing outside when they're supposed to be inside and were looking our way making the hairs on my skin stand and dad's facial expression as he made his way towards us made my blood drained.

"Oh no, this can't be good." My inner voice screams and I forced a smile at Cheryl hoping my paranoid voice isn't the same one talking to her right now. "Dad, where is Manuel?" Cheryl asked her voice thickened with emotions and dad looks down, he jaw clenched and the crowds were approaching.
"Dad!" Cheryl snaps, tears falling like a waterfall and dad stares with pain in his eyes.
"Read this darling... I am so sorry baby." Dad murmurs giving the sheet to Cheryl and he looks away his fists ready to damage Manuel's stupid face. Mum hasn't said a word and I was afraid she might be in shock. I look around and the people were closing in.

"C'mon baby, I am taking you home." Dad firmly said and Cheryl hugs me sobbing. "He stood me up." She bitterly chuckles and I wipe her tears which she turns as if remembering this day or trying to convince herself that it isn't real.
She abruptly stops crying as if she was controlled to do so and she sat in the car without looking back and mum and Shirley sat in the car with dad.
"Don't worry dad I will take care of this." I assure him and he nods. I gathered the courage as I walk towards them ignoring their audible whisperings and the gazes.
"My apologies to you all but the wedding has been called off." I announce and left before they could ask questions.

One year later...

Cheryl left to the States after accepting an impromptu work and it took her three months for her to finally contact us. Dad wanted to wait until Manuel shows up but mum convinced him to forget about it and we all agreed that it is for the best but I will feel better after I slap him in the face and give him a piece of my mind. It seems like someone is taking my problems as a major course and is excelling.

I admit that the scandal affected me when we couldn't hear from Cheryl but I managed to write for my client and he rejected it not because it wasn't what he wanted but he was focused on saying sorry. I heard Manuel was back in town and the universe found me a new job.
I put on my faded blue jeans and oversized hoodie and wrapping my hair in a messy bun and I went to his house.
"I don't even like your name." I recalled what I told him after giving him a piece of my mind and I realized I was out of words... pretty sloppy but I did slap him.
Damn I did rehearse my lines very well. I was back to the world where everything won't work for me and my freaking car just broke down. So much for my perfect life.
I was furious with myself and he was only defending his stupid action that it wasn't intentional.
"Argh!" I scream as I tripped and I was pulled crashing on a hard muscular chest and hands hold my waist tight making me shut my eyes.
"Are you okay?" A voice asked and I open my eyes to stare at rich brown eyes and I was dumbstruck.
I pull away and he smiles showing his dimples and my brain refuses to work.

"Oh shit." I thought.