Chapter 10

It has been a week and I haven't seen him, not even a text or a call and I guess we meant what we both said or what I said and he agreed. I haven't had the courage to tell my family that we broke up that day. All that they know is that he's out of town for an important meeting.
I have never been proud of myself  in the most painful way before.
Violet and I have been thinking of a way to overcome this crisis and I feel like giving up and maybe it is time to let my guards down and ask Cher to pay for Shirley's fees this time until I can figure something out.
I managed to pay for the rent as it will be so humiliating going back to my parents' house. I went inside the office and I slump on the chair and loudly groan.

Violet and I went to visit Mrs. Hayford and her son's condition is still the same and she was the one encouraging us to keep on. I feel like a hypocrite for reciting those words and right now I don't know if I believe in it and for goodness sake my name is Faith. I stare at my phone my thumb scrolling the call log and it was getting hard calling Cher.
I replay what I was going to say in my head and I tried not to tap on Nathan's name too although it was tempting.
I close my eyes getting the courage to tap on it and the door burst open startling me and Violet just stood there and smiles.

"Good news girl." She said closing the door and sat in front of me sparking my interest.
"Good news sound foreign to me now." I used a bored tone and she rolls her eyes.
"Someone paid for Shirley's fee Faith." She cheerfully said and my eyes widen. "What! Wait that means it is not Cher and I hope it is not someone who knows my current financial status." I scowl and Violet chuckles.
"Who is the person and where can I find him to tell him I will pay him back?" I asked and she shook her head.
"You can't find him Faith. It is supposed to be anonymous but you know me." She proudly said and I lean forward. "And you know more than that." I said and she grins.

"Aidan Lance Walker but sadly he's dating." She pouts and I laugh.
"Too much info and I thought you were into Li..." "Don't mention his name and don't be silly, I was thinking about the two of you." She said and I frown.  "Just because he came to save me at the right time doesn't mean I should go ahead and date him. He might not even like all of me but I might consider if he can save my life which is priceless." I chuckle and she stares at her phone.
"My pride is wounded that a total stranger just saved my ass." I said and she absently nods.
"Faith you know what this means, it means whoever is causing the misfortune is losing the game. There's still hope." She said looking at me and then went back to her phone.
"Just look at his pictures Faith." She said and my phone rings making her pout.

I look at the name and I froze. "Is everything alright?" Violet said and I nod. "It's Nathan." I said and she just went back to her phone. "Hi." He said and I didn't know what to say.
"Don't say anything Faith, I want to see you tonight and it's not a de-demand and damn I don't know how to say and make it sound alright." He said and Violet glances at me.
"Please Faith I need to see you and I understand if you don't want to but I hope you would." He said and I rub my temple.
"Text me the address and I will be there and add the time." I said and Violet went out.
"You would? Baby..." He sounds happy and surprised at the same time.
"I miss you." He said and I closed my eyes for a while. "Bye Nathan." I said ending the call.

I drove to his apartment and I was reminded of good memories of the two of us and this is where I met his best friend Caleb.
I pressed his doorbell and waited for him to open. He opens and smiles at me and darn it I really miss him and he was looking great in his office attire except without the suit and tie and his white shirt has the first two buttons unbuttoned. He opens the door wide for me and I enter.
"Hi." I said and he brightly looks at me and I raised an eyebrow.
"Oh right, forgive me." He nervously said leading me to sit down and he holds my hands in his making us stop midway.
"I miss you so much." He said and I forced a smile. "Why didn't you used the password to enter?" He asked disappointed and I shrug.
"Is that what you want us to talk about?" I asked and he slowly shook his head.

"But I made dinner for you." He cheerfully said and I chuckle. I followed him to the dining hall and I gasp, it was a candle light dinner for two.
"Nathan, it's beautiful." I murmur in awe and he hugs me from the back. I pull away and he pulls a chair for me after muttering apologies. "Thank you." "I made rice and gravy and I think it's a little spicy." Nathan chuckles and I smile.
"The important thing is you made an effort." I said and he looked down.
"I haven't made an effort when it comes to you and I am sorry for everything and I know you don't believe me but give me a chance to try again." He said and I put the rice in my mouth as I didn't know what to say.
"Your dad was right Faith, you're rare and I will regret it for the rest of my life if I let you go." He said taking my hand in his and we ate in silence.

I was in his couch watching tv as he was in the kitchen washing the dishes and didn't want me to help and he brought me an ice cream and my eyes widen making him smile.
"You should see your face, you're so cute." He pinched my nose and I scoff. He sat beside me sipping his wine and I enjoyed my ice cream and I turn to him.
"Thank you." I said and he nods.
"I love my dad. And just like many marriages theirs didn't work." He starts and I could feel the pain in his words but I wanted to know so I didn't bother asking questions.
"My mum found out my dad was having an affair with a girl just like you." He coldly uttered and his eyes stare deeply into mine making me swallow my ice cream.
I have seen his picture once and I do understand why he doesn't want to talk about him or his mum.

"They reconciled and decided to have a church wedding. With all the things I heard from my mum about him, he was still my hero but something happened..." I saw his jaw clenched and he just switched to a different person when he stares at me. "What happened? You can trust me." I softly said. "You killed him!" He accused and I gasp. "What! I beg your pardon?" I muttered in confusion and his eyes soften.
"I'm sorry baby, anytime I talk about it it's like I've the murderer in front of me and I am confronting her.
"Her?" I incredulously asked and he smirks. "It was that slut who shot my dad when he was on his way to the church for their wedding." He grits his teeth and I frown.
"So is she in jail paying for her crimes?" I asked and he bitterly huffs.
"Just the opposite of that, she's here." He spat. "She's somewhere in this world." He continues and I nod.
"I'm so sorry." I softly said and he shook his head. "Sorry won't bring him back to me. Sorry is what you should be feeling when I put you in prison for life!" He coldly spat and I gave him time to calm himself down.

"I thought I was strong to leave all these behind and I guess I took it out on you. I see that murderer everywhere Faith and when I met you it was never my intention to fall but I am glad I did. But talking about marriage, wedding just brought all the bad memories I tried to bury." He said with so much pain and I cup his cheek.
"I want to give your dream wedding but I can't do the church wedding. It still haunts me but I know I will lose you." He said and I look at him.
"You should have talked to me. All I want is to be one of those old couples who made it." I said and he pulls a ring from his pocket making me gasp. "I thought I could find a perfect time to do this but there's never the right time and I know you're having doubts but I want you to have this." He said and I just looked at him.

"It's removable and all I am asking is for you to to give me one more chance to prove myself and if at the end you don't want to marry me you can remove it." He said eyes begging for permission and I nod. "You don't have to do anything Faith, let me be the one to regain all that you've lost in me." He said putting the ring on my finger.