1.

Suspension isn't necessarily the first thing you want to hear your principle utter, but for me it was normal. I lost count of how many times I had visited this office over my high school years. It was almost like a second home to me, and not a welcoming one either.

"Two weeks, I'll call your mom and ask her to come pick you up," my principle, Mrs. Webb, spoke irritably before turning in her chair and digging out my mom's number. An exasperated sigh escaped my lips as they talked for a few moments before Mrs. Webb hung up and left me alone on the black, leather couch. I laid down on it, staring at the blank, white ceiling. I knew I was trouble, but I couldn't lie and say that I didn't like the chaos. It was a bitter feeling, one that happened to be favorite.

Personally, two weeks seemed unfair. I had done much worse than graffiti the lockers and steal some freshman's clothes after school hours. Nonetheless, I must have pushed my luck a little too far that time around.

About ten minutes later, I heard the office door open, my mother's voice filling the room as she signed some papers and made her way to me. Immediately, I sat up and gave her a small smirk. Her expression was blank as she stood monotone before latching onto my wrist. I let her pull me out of the school easily, a smile pressed on my lips as some of my friends stared me down from inside, knowing smirks on their lips.

When I was in the car, my mom didn't disappoint with a lecture. She wasn't as fast to yell as she usually was, though; this time she waited until the car was on.

"Would you care to explain why you needed to break into your school last night?" My mom questioned, raising her voice. All I did was shrug in response, avoiding her gaze. "Don't just shrug at me, answer the question."

"A couple guys were gonna give me some cash if I stole some clothes and graffitied," I finally replied, simplistic.

"And why did you need the money?"

"Just whatever," I lied, gritting my teeth. The truth was, I was going to spend the money on another pack of cigarettes, but unfortunately, my coach was working late and busted me when I had barely started. My mom's gaze faltered on me before a sigh escaped her lips, and I knew right away she was conflicted.

"Your dad is home from work, we're all going to talk-"

"He is not my dad," I objected, getting heated at the mere thought of him. My real dad had passed away when I was little, and I was the only one who seemed to care. Instead of mourning my dad, my mom remarried less than two years later to my step dad, Jared.

Out of all the people I had ever met and hated, Jared had to have captured the rightful place as my most hated human being. Something about him was wrong, and I knew that he was going to screw us over someday. Sure, he would let us live with him in his run down house for now, but I didn't have a doubt that their next argument would end with us on the streets.

I was also bitter with my mom, but I knew deep down that I did love her. I never let love get in the way of who I was and what I did, though, because love is unnecessary. Somehow, I managed to forgive her (Partially) over the course of a few years, yet I was still constantly biting my tongue to keep myself from lashing out on her and Jared, too.

When we arrived home, I didn't hesitate to jump out of the passenger seat, slinging my bag over my arm and hurrying through the front door. Without a blink of an eye, I flung my bag onto the kitchen counter and walked into the living room, meeting Jared's gaze. I clenched my jaw and moved past him into the hall where I was going to disappear into my room, but my mom's voice from behind me kept me in place.

"Kellin... Come sit down," she requested in a softer tone. With a fake smile, I walked back into the living room, taking a seat on the end of the couch as far away from Jared as I could get. I noticed in his hands were a couple of flyers.