24.

Before I knew it, Amber academy's student break had fallen upon me. It wasn't like spring break or anything; all it did was give you a free trip home. I didn't want to go home, though, so I guess you could say I felt a little stuck.

Vic and I went to Mrs. Abram's office, asking her about the changing schedule and if we were required to return home for this break or not. Unfortunately, the answer was yes. Every student was forced to return home because it would be around the year mark since most attendants saw their families again. Unfortunately, visiting my parents was not my top priority, and I don't think it was Vic's either as he seemed disappointed with Mrs. Abram's answer as well.

We left the office, both annoyed. The walk back to our dorm was rather short, but there was never a gap of silence as we both filled it up equally, complaining about why we didn't want to return home and how we'd much rather stay here, even if we were regulated like hell.

That was another thing, while Vic and I's "relationship" was an exclusive deal and started off painfully awkward, the atmosphere had lightened. It didn't feel as if I couldn't handle myself when I was around him anymore, and it didn't feel like we had nothing to talk about, either. In fact, I discovered we had very much in common; everything was just hidden gems in the dirt that I had to dig out for myself.

Anymore, I felt as if we could discuss any topic or issue, regardless of our personal bias towards those things. It felt as if, when he and I spoke, we were transported to an alternate universe (possibly just a small portion of one), where nothing else existed but ourselves. We could go from debating welfarism to making out and vice versa within minutes and it still felt completely normal.

I guess the heaviest emotion I had started to develop was being wanted. I felt important; needed even, when I was around Vic. It was nice, and as blunt and subtle as that is, there was not a better way to describe it. Nice; not spectacular, but nice, wherever that falls.

Once we reached the dorm, Vic fell back onto the couch and let out an exasperated sigh, fluttering his eyelids shut.

"Two and a half weeks stuck at home with nothing to do," he mumbled in agitation. "I've already explained why I don't like going home, but what about you? Why don't you want to return?"

"Well, they live so far away from the academy, so traveling is a pain, and I just don't really get along with them. My mom's second husband has always wanted to get rid of me and my mom always fell blind to that. I hate him and I doubt he would even want me to return anyway. Maybe when I arrive, I'll sneak out and pay for a hotel," I joked, laughing at that notion.

Vic's eyes widened suddenly as he sat up. "Wait, that's it," he spoke, and for the first time I could trace a hint of enthusiasm in his tone. "Let's rent out a hotel room instead of returning home for break. The city nearby is huge, so we wouldn't get bored and-"

"Vic," I interrupted before continuing with "Not to rain on your parade, but we aren't old enough to rent out rooms and besides, hotels are expensive. Our money combined wouldn't be enough for over fourteen days in a hotel," I explained logically. Vic's excited expression dropped.

"Well, it was a nice thought," he commented with a shrug, getting ready to lay back down when another idea flickered through his mind. It was painstakingly obvious because of the way a glint flickered through his eyes.

"What now?" I spoke, rolling my eyes at him.

"What if we did go home, together?"

"You shouldn't word it like that," I commented immediately, laughing a little, but I knew what he meant nonetheless. "I only have one ticket and you do not want to come to my hometown."

"Then come to mine," Vic suggested hastily, smiling. I frowned in response, shaking my head. "I have my ticket and Mike received a ticket as well, but while we were talking yesterday, he informed me that Tony's parents were on vacation and that Tony invited him to fly out there with him for the remainder of the trip. That means there's one extra ticket," Vic explained. I felt my body light up with subtle excitement.

"But... My parents-"

"Well, your dad isn't your actual dad and you don't want to visit your mom, so what's the big deal? Just call and tell them there had been a change of plans and that you can't return this time," Vic spoke without a care. He had a valid point. "It should have clicked with me sooner. My parent's have good money too, so maybe I could get them to rent us a hotel for awhile and we could go into the city not too far from my suburb."

"That all sounds too good to be true," I muttered in disbelief. Vic chuckled at me.

"And you're being awfully negative about it all. If you don't want to come home with me, you don't have to," he clarified, eliciting an annoyed groan out of me.

"Don't word it like that," I complained again, sitting down as my head started to ache. "And it's not that I don't want to, it just seems like a lot of deceiving and who knows if it will work."

"I can make it work," Vic retaliated, sounding awfully sure of himself, but I wasn't nearly as convinced. Still, his tone of voice sparked some recognition of hope from deep within me. My mind wanted me to flat out turn down his offer, but I found it extremely difficult to do so.

"You better," I finally breathed, hiding my sly smile discreetly. Vic smiled as well. "I'm depending on you to get the tickets and make sure we don't get caught, got it?" I added. Vic's smile widened as he stood up, making his way over to me slowly.

"Got what?" He joked, shaking his head when my expression showed no amusement. "I'm kidding; whatever else would I do?" Vic added, gently caressing my chin, tilting my head upwards before he planted a kiss below my ear. I shivered as the sudden source of heat warmed my body up within seconds, but all too soon, it was over. Vic's lips left my skin as he whispered goodnight in my ear before he disappeared into the bedroom. I sighed, taking a seat and throwing my head back, eyes tracing the ceiling's cracks.