Deepest fear, special Christmas

Harry and Roger met Elan and Cedric in the Great Hall next morning after a rigorous workout just before the sun rose, with the World Cup just months away; they were warned by Ray Anderson to take good care of their bodies and to exercise regularly. Ignoring the loud, excited giggling from fans surrounding them, the four hungrily dove at the food in front of them with ravenous hunger.

The irritation from their fans lessened a bit as Cho and Anna Zabini joined them, which all four were grateful for, though the two young women were less than impressed by four athletes' table manners. They spent a whole lot of time talking about what Lupin would teach them and for once, after hearing from Harry that Lupin had taught him a patronus, were eager for Defense.

After finishing their breakfasts, they remained in their places for Professor Flitwick's descent from the staff table. The distribution of class schedules took even longer this year due to the fact that Flitwick had to confirm that everybody had achieved the necessary O.W.L. grades to continue with their chosen N.E.W.T.s. However when Flitwick had reached them, it was a relief since all of them had nine or more O.W.L.S.

"So, Harry, Harry…" squawked Professor Flitwick, consulting his notes as he turned to Harry. "Twelve O.W.L.S, I have to say, you continue to impress…I was especially proud of your Charms mark, very proud. I suppose as usual, Harry you will be tackling all classes with the exception of Divination and History of Magic?" Flitwick squeaked. Harry nodded and smiled weakly when he caught Elena looking at him.

As he received his schedule, he caught the stare of Snape for a brief second as the Potion's Master handed Elan and Anna their schedules. After all his friends had gotten their schedules, they left the Great Hall together with Harry, Elena and Anna walking off to Ancient Runes while Roger, Elan and Cedric had free period.

"How was Runes?" Roger asked as he joined Harry and Elena as they walked to Defense.

"Terrible, first day and we have a fifteen inch essay." Harry grumbled.

"Shame, lucky I didn't pick that class." Roger replied cheekily.

Instead of requesting them to meet in the normal Defense classroom, Lupin was waiting for them in the staffroom on the second corridor. All the other students had arrived and were whispering excitedly, there was nothing in the room save an old wardrobe in which teachers put their spare robes.

It began to wobble as soon as Lupin went to stand by it. "Nothing to worry about," said Lupin as several students jumped backwards in alarm.

"There's a Boggart in there." Elena said with a fascinated look on her face.

"Correct, Miss Turpin, five points to Ravenclaw. Boggarts tend to dwell and thrive in dark, enclosed spaces," said Lupin. "Wardrobes, the gap beneath beds, the cupboards under sinks – I once met one that lodged itself in a grandfather clock." At this he gave Harry a smirk and continued, "This one moved in yesterday afternoon, and I asked the Headmaster if the staff would leave it to give my six years some practice, I know all of you have studied Boggarts in your earlier years so it will be interesting when you face the real thing."

Everyone gave each other grins as they felt that this lesson would be fun. "Quick review, Mr. Diggory! What is a Boggart?" Lupin suddenly asked.

"Shape-shifter that takes the form of the thing we fear most." Cedric replied, causing Lupin to smile.

"Well said, five points to Hufflepuff. A Boggart has no shape while alone in the dark, since he does not yet know what will frighten the person on the other side of the door. Now why would that be an advantage for us, why don't you tell us Harry?" Lupin said.

"Since there are so many of us, it won't know what shape it should take." Harry replied.

"Precisely, five points to Ravenclaw. The charm that repels a Boggart is fairly simple, yet it requires force of mind, what really finishes off a Boggart is laughter. You simply need to force it to assume a shape that you find amusing. The incantation is Riddikulus! Say it with me." "Riddikulus!" said the class together.