That First Encounter...

“Come the heck on, Adara! A snail in the garden is making better time than you are!” My mother wailed from the bottom of the staircase. 

“I suppose it would be too much to ask for an extra hand here, eh Mum?” I retorted playfully whilst trundling clumsily down each step. 

“Pfft, not on your nelly my girl! How many times have I told you not to take so much of that rubbish to work with you?!”

I cannot help but laugh at her playful admonishment. 

“Mother dear, the items you refer to as “rubbish” are the records of the patient’s on my list today so they are actually a vital necessity I will have you know!” 

Just as she always did whenever I reached the bottom of the staircase, my mother laughed at how dishevelled I looked. With my hair tossed up in a messy bun, papers seeping through every gap of my fingers and a heated flush that only came when running ludicrously late for a team meeting burning my cheeks, I looked more as though I were a crazy old cat lady than a nurse specialising in Dermatology. 

I couldn’t even blame it on being a one time deal either! I had always had an issue with waking up on time and I always ended up looking like a mad scientist when running out the door, especially when there was a lack of caffeine in my system.

Once her mocking has subsided, my mother places her palm to my cheek and gazes at me with nothing but admiration. 

“I am so proud of you, my darling. You have done so well to get here.” 

Though I was physically swamped by the records and struggling to keep my over-packed bag upon my shoulder, I managed to manoeuvre deftly enough to pull my mother into a firm hug. 

“I love you, Mama. I’ll call you later this week for a coffee date, okay?” I muttered softly as she engulfed me just as tightly as I had her. 

We stood there for a solid thirty seconds, just holding one another before I left for the busy week ahead. I knew my mother had been having a hard time accepting that I no longer lived at the house, she had been the same when Andre had left for university too. So, I tried to make sure that at least once every couple of weeks, I would stay over and have a movie night with her and dad. 

“Look after yourself, baby. I’ll see you soon.” She called as I gracelessly stumbled down the driveway towards the passenger door of my brother’s care. 

“Hey Mum!” Andre waved as he wisely opened the door for me. He knew just as I did that if he didn’t have the door opened then the files would end up in the puddle I had stepped in. 

“Hey sweet pea! Make sure you don’t drive too fast just because Addie is late again!” Mother mocked, smirking her cheeky grin. 

“Look if you need help, you could just say.” Andre chuckled as he relieved my arms of some of the files. Given that some of the looser paperwork was now being held on for dear life by my teeth, I was grateful for the help. Once the two of us were buckled in the car, I stuck my middle finger up at Andre for his buffoonery. 

Mother waved us off and as Andre headed towards the Dermatology Clinic, I managed to get my face, my paperwork and my need for caffeine sorted out. For someone who had been a qualified nurse for a little over three years, you’d think I would have had a better sense of organisation. Nope, not me. 

 Andre was quite the lifesaver that way, he knew I was an unpunctual mess in the morning so on his way over to pick me up for work, he always brought me a latte or hot chocolate. 

I took a sip of the lukewarm, chocolatey goodness as we headed out onto the motorway, contemplating what excuse would be best to use when I did eventually reach the staff room.