The Plan That Went To Shit

James wasn't too bad, he didn't try to cause me any physical or emotional harm so he gained a point just for that. He was rather...young and easily distracted but he was easy to talk to. He wasn't as tall nor as well built as the other men and because of that I felt less intimidated. By how chatty and puerile he was, I assumed that James was more of a potential recruit than an actual member of Jordan's crew but of course that did not exclude me from respecting him as my 'superior'.

"So, what did you do before all this?" He asks as we begin the third lap down the corridor that leads from the kitchen to Jase's office door.

I was caught off guard by the question but more so by how casually James had asked it. Thinking back to when I was a free woman always felt like a baseball bat had been oscillated against my chest, knocking the air from my lungs and leaving me enervated to the point of where I would want to scream at the injustice of how my life had been stolen.

"You..you don't have to answer that actually, sorry. I didn't think-" James rushes out, obviously having noticed my expression.

"I used to be a Nurse, Sir." I muttered, trying with all my might to keep from thinking about the hospital I loved and missed so much.

"Oh, that's pretty amazing. Most of the women Jordan brings back here are thick as dung." James chuckles, petulantly ignorant to my rising fury.

That fucking psychopath was keeping me prisoner but seeing other women? What was the point of all of this?! What was the goddamn reason for me being here? For me to suffer?!

"He...he brings other women back?" I ask, struggling to mask my vexation.

"Oh yeah, all the time! I'm amazed you haven't heard him, his bedroom is right above your cell."

The rage I felt had consumed every nerve and though James was enquiring more about the duties I had as a nurse, all I could hear was the thump of my own heartbeat.

I had never felt such malice. I had never wanted to hurt someone so badly in all my life but I knew I had to be patient and bide my time. I needed to be methodical. I needed to get the fuck out of here but at the exact right time.

"Adara, you alright there?" James asks as I work to ease my boiling anger. It doesn't work.

"Excuse me, Sir but how the hell am I supposed to be alright when Jordan is fucking other women?"

James is surprisingly unphased by my mild outburst.

"But I thought you didn't care for Jordan anymore?" He asks, completely dumbfounded by my frustration. I felt vomit rise up my throat then go back down again. This guy really thought I was jealous that Jordan was shagging all and sundry?

I feel my right eye twitch. I was incensed.

"Did your fucking mother drop you on your head when you were a baby? Seriously? You think I am pissed because Jordan, the man who has done nothing but cause me hurt and harm, because he is sleeping with other women?"

My voice was incredulous and demeaning and rather callous. It was uncharacteristic of me and I wasn't proud to have been so horrid to James but surely, surely he could see what was wrong with his suggestion?

I hadn't expected it. Not from James anyway. He had always seemed so meek. Evidently looks were deceiving and I was foolish for thinking that any of these men were decent.

James' hand struck my face just as easily as Jordan's did. And just as easily as Jases did and just as easily as Silas' did. He was one of them.

I wipe the small dribble of blood running from my lip but allow my hair to remain as a veil to hide my hurt features.