The Phone Call

Phoenix looked beyond exhausted, his eyes were dimmer than usual and he looked thinner than the last time I'd seen him. His clothes were filthy and smelt absolutely putrid but as he held me pressed against his chest, I couldn't help but feel immense happiness flood through me.
'I missed you,' I mumble into his hoodie, gripping hold of him as tightly as I could.
'I missed you too darlin, I promise I'll never leave you again'.

It didn't take long before reality set in and the severity of the situation hit home. Jordan was coming for me and I was still hooked to several intravenous drip machines and unable to breathe on my own. I had no choice. I needed to report him.
'We need to call the police,' I croak, my throat so incredibly sore. Archer leapt to his feet, ready to dispute my decision. Phoenix, retracted slightly and stared at me with wide, dubious eyes.
'We are never going to get far enough away from him and I'm tired,' I pause, taking a large breath of oxygen. Never in my life had I struggled to talk, the sepsis really had taken a detrimental toll on me.
Phoenix rubbed his large hand up and down my back, his palm warm and soothing against my aching muscles.
'It's okay baby, take it slow' He whispered.
'I'm tired,' another pause 'I'm tired of running from him. He needs to be held accountable'.
By the time the sentence is finished, I am panting and breaking out into a cold sweat.

Being held captive left me vulnerable and whilst that irritated me - this vulnerability - this physical weakness which was leaving me unable to breathe and mobilise independently was far worse and far more maddening.

Phoenix gently replaces the oxygen mask back onto my face, comforting me with affirmations that everything would be okay and to take it easy. Strangely, it helped more than what I would have given it credit for had I been outside of the situation.
'I can call them for you, lovey' Archer says, noticing how exhausted my frail figure had become. I nod, wearily intending to convey my gratitude and my agreement.
Archer leaves the room and heads towards the nurses station, whilst Phoenix pulled me closer into his side, resting his chin on the crown of my head.
'You know,' he began, his voice deep and soothing as he fiddled with a strand of my hair.
I stay quiet, too tired to speak again but I look up at him, my attention captivated by how handsome he was.
'You're the only woman I have ever met who has made an oxygen mask look sexy'.
I almost choked from laughing so hard. He always knew exactly how to console me and his humour was second to none.

The ache that had been lodged in my chest, the bulb of panic for his welfare that hadn't left my throat and the anxiety of never seeing Phoenix again had completely gone.
I'd pined to hear his jokes again, I'd longed to feel his body against mine and I'd wished with all that I had that we would be reunited once again.
Phoenix, just as he always did, laughed at his own joke but soon fell silent when my chest decided to heave raspy breaths, breaths that sounded as though my lungs were riddled with pneumonia and had me coughing like an 80 year old who had smoked all her life.

With a firm yet gentle hold, Phoenix squeezed my hand and massaged his thumb back and forth against mine.
'I love you'
Despite looking deathly ill and smelling like bleach and the hospital, Phoenix still loved me, he still wanted me and still made me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world. It was a strange sensation, one I had never experienced whilst I dated Jordan but I adored it.
'I...' Another breath of oxygen cut me short but I pushed through, 'love you too baby'.
I hadn't finished, I wanted to thank him for loving me so genuinely, for making me feel as wonderful as he did but my body had used the last of its energy and I dropped into a peaceful slumber.

—————————————————————————-

Sometime later, I woke to find Archer sitting at the end of my bed flanked by two elegantly dressed gentlemen. By the badges clipped to the pocket of their blazers, I assumed they were from some specialist unit lodged within the police hierarchy. Their expressions were stoic and lacking empathy. Not the great first impression to give the victim of kidnap and torture.

I shuffled myself up the bed with the petulant notion in mine, that if I were not lying down, then I could defend myself if they worked for Jordan. Phoenix was nowhere to be seen which naturally sent my anxiety into a chaotic spiral.
The hyperventilating came on quickly and despite oxygen flowing into me, I felt as though a vine was crushing my lungs together.
Archer virtually leapt across the small room, grasping my hand in his. His soft eyes met mine and he began to speak slowly, his voice monotonous and steady.

'Take a deep breath, lovey. It's alright, Phoenix has just gone to grab a shower and some food,' he explained running his free hand through my hair. His gesture was one of a paternal nature, one that reminded me of my own father. It soothed my nerves and my breathing began to return to a more rhythmic pace. I was blessed to have Archer with me, he always knew how to help.

'Ms James, I'm Detective Bodhi and this is my colleague Detective Capaldi, we have some questions about the report Mr Galen has made. Would it be alright if we speak about this now?' The older man interrupts, a thick southern drawl hanging off of each and every word.
'Can you-' I cough violently before continuing, 'you stay with us?'
Archer smiles and strategically pulls a chair behind him with his unoccupied hand.
'Ms James, you've told Mr Galen that you were abducted, is this true?'
I had to bite back the sarcasm loitering on my tongue. Why else would I say it?!
'Yes'
'And it was you're former fiancé who did this?'
'Yes'
'And his name is?' The younger Detective pipes in, scribbling down something down into his ridiculously small, leather bound notepad.
'Jordan Gray'
As the words left my mouth, I saw Dr Tate glaring at me through the diminutively sized window in the door. The fear penetrated me to the core but I had already said his name, I had already gave him up.

'Can you tell us about the night that you were allegedly taken?' The younger, more snooty detective asks. His demeanour showed how much he didn't believe me and his complacency was alarming. Was he so blasé and confident in his own opinion on my ordeal because of his professional occupation or was he so arrogant and portrayed that I was lying because he worked for Jordan?
'I was walking down an alley way in Braintree town. I'd just finished a shift...' I had to stop and catch my breath.
'At the Dermatology clinic on West Street'.
'And what allegedly happened after this?'
'Detective, your tone is very much accusatory and it's pissing me off,' Phoenix snapped. I tightened my grip on his hand.
'It's...it's okay baby. Detective Capaldi was just leaving,' I pant out, giving the young man an unwavering stare. I didn't need his shit.

Taking the hint, Bodhi spoke, clarifying that it was probably best that his colleague wait outside until he was done. To prove my point of how juvenile he was, Capaldi sulked and muttered under his breath whilst gathering his jacket from the back of his chair.
'Sorry about him, he's a rookie so he thinks he knows all...'
I accepted the apology but I knew Phoenix remained dubious.

'I know these questions must seem very basic and somewhat repetitive but I need every detail so that I can find the awful man who has done this to you,' Bodhi explained, showing a small dose of empathy as he repositioned his chair to the left of my bedside.
'Before I answer anything else...' I take another breath, 'can I ring my...my...'
My voice cuts off As does my breath and I feel my body begin to violently convulse. My eyes rolled to the back of my head and the last thing I see before I fall unconscious is Phoenix's calling my name, his face as white as a sheet.

Hey guys and gals!
I'm so so sorry for the delay in posting  but my son was poorly and I've been exhausted! So here is a longer chapter for you all!
Word Count - 1472