Chapter 4

I woke up to Chris screaming through the megaphone. I groaned. He was horrible "Alright campers. Enough beauty sleep, time to show us what you're made of!" Chris announced. Duncan was still fast asleep, his arms wrapped tightly around my waist. "Duncan, wake up. We gotta go to the challenge" I said quietly. "I swear to God if Chris keeps waking us up this early he won't live to see another day" Duncan said with a groan. I chuckled lightly and went to get ready.

We ate breakfast the walked out towards this stage. We sat on another set of wooden bleachers and waited for Chris to explain what we were supposed to do. Lindsay was rambling on about musicals. I knew it wasn't a musical. She's just stupid. Duncan and I eyed Tyler, who was flirting with Lindsay. "They always want the jocks" Duncan whispered. "I'm surprised anyone would date a girl who can barely remember names" I said. Duncan laughed at my comment, but I quickly shushed him so he wouldn't give away our gossiping. I turned my attention to Chris as he walked over. "Welcome to our brand new deluxe, state of the art, outdoor, amphitheater. Ok, this week's challenge is a summer camp favorite, a talent contest!" Chris said. Owen screamed in delight. "Each team has 8 hours to pick their 3 most talented campers. These 3 will represent them in the show tonight. Sing, dance, juggle, anything goes! As long as it's legal." Chris said looking at Duncan. Duncan snapped his fingers in frustration. "You'll be judged by our resident talent scout, former DJ, BJ, and rap legend, Grandmaster Chef, who will show his approval via the chefometer. The team that looses will send 1 camper home tonight. Good luck!" Chris said as he walked away.

Sadie and Katie decided to audition with a weird dance. It wasn't awful, but it wouldn't be enough to win. Courtney and Bridgette looked mortified. Tyler attempted some yo-yo moves, but ended up wrapped in the string. Amazing. "Man, that is weak." Chris said as he walked by. But we had some hope. DJ had this fun little ribbon dance. It was elegant and quite entertaining. We all clapped, except for Courtney. "Fine, sign him up. Next" Courtney said. "Me! I can stand on my hands for 20 minutes. Watch!" Bridgette said as she quickly got into a handstand. "Ok, it'd be cute if you were a monkey. I just don't think it's quite what we're looking for. Next!" Courtney said. Harold walked up. He didn't even get to perform whatever he was doing before Courtney cut him off. "Next!" She said. Geoff went up next and did some great skateboarding tricks. We cheered in delight. "Well, I guess it's Geoff, DJ's ribbon thing, and your solo." Bridgette said, gesturing to Courtney. "I'm gonna on TV, man!" Geoff said. "You're already on TV, Geoff." Bridgette said. "Oh yeah" Geoff said, running up to the camera. "HELLO OUT THERE DUDES!" He said. Now that we had our acts planned, we had a little bit of downtime. We all walked to the amphitheater to hang out, and so Courtney could practice her violin. It was really nice. "So, can you really stand on your hands for 20 minutes?" Geoff asked Bridgette. "Wanna bet that I can't?" Bridgette said, holding up my chocolate bar. That's my girl. I knew she liked Geoff a lot. She hadn't acted on it though, like some people did. "Oh you're on!" Geoff said. "I'll take a piece of that action" Harold said. "Yeah, that's like virtually impossible" DJ said, looking up from his game of cards against Duncan. "Anti-up" Bridgette said. Everyone bet various things, mostly money. I didn't. I didn't have anything on me. It was all in the cabin. "Ok, 20 minutes starting.. now!" Bridgette said as she kicked up her legs. She was off balance, so she started walking around on her hands. It was all fine until her leg got caught in a random rope. Before any of us could help her, she moved and the rope unraveled, causing a stage light to fall and crush Courtney's violin. "Oh no!" Bridgette yelled. God dammit. We had 3 really great acts. What would we do now. Most of us decided to leave for a little bit so we wouldn't have to see Courtney rage, including me.

Later that day, we were all chilling on the stage practicing. "Ok, I know I'm not as good as you are at violin, but I can do this!" Bridgette said. I smiled lightly at her. "Bridgette! Oh, too bad about the accident. I guess you're going to get your 15 seconds of fame after all, huh?" Heather said with mock sympathy. "What's that supposed to mean?" Bridgette asked. "Oh nothing, no one would sabotage their own teammate... unless they maybe felt threatened." Heather said. She was just trying to stir up trouble again. "Hey! Maybe that's how you Gophers operate, but the Killer Bass have more class than that. We're a team." Bridgette said. "Well, I guess you'll go down as a team too. Oh and easy on those chips. You don't wanna sink that surfboard of yours do you?" Heather asked. I was done. I grabbed Bridgette chips and threw them in Heather's face. "Back the fuck off" I said.