Chapter 5

Chris woke us up early one again. We were all sitting on little log stools waiting for Chris to explain the challenge. "Campers, today's challenge will test your outdoor survival skills. I'm not gonna lie to you, some of you may not come back alive. Just joking, hahahaha! All you have to do is spend 1 night in the woods. Everything you need is at your team's campsite in the forest. You just have to find it" Chris said, throwing 2 maps and 2 compasses our way. "Oh and watch out for bears. Lost a couple of interns in pre-production. First team back for breakfast wins invincibility!" Chris said. He blew a small horn. "Well, off you go" Chris said. LeShawna and Owen started talking about bears but I ignored it. Duncan had our map, so I leaned over his shoulder and looked at it. "This is gonna be fun" I said with sarcasm laced through my voice. Izzy started rambling on too. Gosh, these people could not shut up. We started into the forest. Courtney had our map now. We walked in a single file line behind her. Sadie and Katie had stopped and were talking about something. I didn't really care. They'd catch up.

"Sadie and I are BFFFL's." Katie said. "Best female friends for life!" Sadie said. "We even got the chicken pox together!" Katie said. "Oh my gosh that was so fun!" Katie said. "It was so nice to have someone to scratch all your little scabs!" "I know right?"

"Sadie's like the prettiest girl I know." "Aw, we'll you're the prettiest girl I know." "We are really pretty aren't we?" "Don't you love that we can say that to each other and not feel totally conceited?" "I love that about us!" "Me too!" Katie and Sadie said.

It was already night when we made it to camp and started to set up. I was helping Harold with the fire. "Wow, you pitch a tent like a god" Geoff said, looking at Bridgette. Bridgette just gave him a weird look.

"Wow you pitch a tent like a god?!?" Geoff said as he facepalmed himself.

"I mean, you're not all girly about getting dirty and stuff" Geoff said. "Gee, thanks" Bridgette said unenthusiastically. Oh Geoff. He'd get it someday. "What's for dinner woman? I'm starving" Duncan said to me. "I'm not answering that" I said. "Hey guys! Look what I found!" DJ said, holding the cutest little bunny. "Well, I've never had rabbit stew before, but what the heck! I'm game" Duncan said. "No! This is my new pet. I'm calling him Bunny" DJ said. "You couldn't find any food? Then it looks like we're eating grubs and berries for dinner." Courtney said. "Has anyone seen Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Idiot?" Duncan asked, referring to Katie and Sadie. "Oh god. I think they got lost." I said. "It's fine. We can find them later" Duncan said. "How nice of you" I said with a chuckle. After that we all decided to gather around the fire. Bridgette sighed. "Be cool, it's just an owl" DJ said reassuringly. "Sorry, I just get really freaked out in the forest" Bridgette said. "This reminds me of this really scary story I heard once" Duncan said, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. It was the first time we had even done anything like that with everyone looking. I'm gonna admit, it was kind of nice. "Awesome, tell it man" Geoff said. "Are you sure? Because the story I'm thinking of is pretty hardcore" Duncan said. "Oooo, we're so scared" Courtney said. "Alright. But don't say I didn't warn you. One night, a lot like this one.... So suddenly they-they heard this tap tap tapping on the side of the car. The girl started to freak out, by this time even the guy was getting a bit scared. So he turned the car on and he stepped on it. When they got back to the girl's house, she opened the door and screamed. Because there, hanging from the door handle, was the bloody hook. They say that this killer is still alive, wondering these very woods. He could be just about anywhere really. Maybe even right HERE!" Duncan said, pulling out a hook then grabbing me. We all screamed. Duncan let out a laugh as everyone hid behind DJ, except me who was still in Duncan's grasp. "Duncan that was so not funny!" I whined. "Oh, yes it was! I just wish it was all on camera. Oh wait, it is!" He said. All of a sudden a wolf howled in the distance and I gripped onto Duncan's torso. "Sorry.." I said. I was going to let go until Duncan stopped me. "It's ok, you can stay like that" Duncan said as we sat down.

Later that night we were all huddle up in the tent. To save space I laid on Duncan's chest. One of his arms was around my back and the other was under his head. My waist down was inside a sleeping bag. I heard Bridgette and DJ talking but I ignored it. I didn't want to get up and wake Duncan up. I was pretty sure he was asleep. Next thing I knew, the tent was burned to a crisp. "What the fuck happened" I groaned, lifting my head up. "It's a long story..." Bridgette said. I didn't bother to ask. "Great! That's just great Bridgette! Now, we have no where to sleep!" Courtney yelled. I rubbed my temples. This girl was giving me a headache. I felt Duncan sit up, holding me with one arm so I wouldn't fall off of his chest. "Yo, drama Queen relax. It's cool" Duncan said. "Cool? It's cool?!? Things could not possibly get worse!" Courtney yelled. Then of course it started to pour. I groaned and nudged my head into Duncan chest. "UGHHHH" Courtney screamed. DJ held a leaf over us to keep us dry. All I remember was sitting in Duncan's lap before I fell asleep.

When I woke up I was snuggled up into Duncan's chest. Both of his hands were behind his head as he smiled at me. "Morning sunshine" He said. I smiled back at him and laid my head back on his chest. "Someone tired?" He said with a smirk. "Shut it Duncan" I said. He chuckled lightly and didn't say anything else. Soon after we got up and ran back to our starting point. We made it first! "We're the first ones back!" Courtney said. Soon after the Screaming Gophers came. "Oh no! They beat us here! This is all YOUR fault" Heather said angrily, pushing Owen. "Uh, uh, uh, uh! Not so fast Gopherinos. It seems like the Killer Bass are missing a few fish." Chris said. "Oh you mean Katie and Sadie? I'm pretty sure they got eaten by wolves last night." Courtney said. "Darn shame" Duncan said sarcastically. All of a sudden Katie and Sadie came running in. "We made it!" Katie said. "We're safe! Oh my gosh guys, we got totally lost and then got in this massive fight" Sadie said. "There was this huge bear and he was all "Rawr you're in my crib so get out!" Katie said. They kept rambling on about it. I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying. In the end they just hugged. "Ah he hem, are you two finished your little love fest?" Courtney asked. They both nodded. "Good, because thanks to you we just lost the challenge!" Courtney said. "All right Killer Bass, one of your fishy butts is going home. Gophers, you're going on an all expense paid trip to the Tuck Shop!" Chris said. They all ran off. I balled my fists up. The first reward and we lost all because Katie and Sadie got lost. Everyone gave them a glare. I angrily walked ball to our cabin. I didn't wanna see their faces anymore.

We all sat at the bonfire to vote someone out. "You've all cast your votes. The camper who does not receive a marshmallow must immediately hit the dock of shame, grab the boat of losers, and get the heck outta here. And you can't come back. Ever. Now, I can see you're all tired so tonight, I'll just throw them to you. Savy?" Chris said. Wow he was being nice for once. "Y/n, Courtney, Duncan, Bridgette, DJ, Harold, Geoff, Tyler!" Chris said. Of course it was between Katie and Sadie. "Ladies, this is the final marshmallow of the evening. Sadie!" Chris said. "No! Why Katie?!? Why her?!?" Sadie screamed. "It's so unfair." Katie said. "I so can't do this. I've never been anywhere without Katie. We have to be together or I'll totally die!" "Sadie, listen to me. You can do this. You are strong and beautiful and like maybe even smarter than me. And plus, you're like the funnest girl I know. You have to do it for both of us!" Katie said. And then they screamed to each other, crying while Katie got in the boat and left. I was sitting on the cabin steps when Duncan came over and sat next to me. "Hey" I said with a smile. "Hey doll. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for scaring you." He said. "It's fine. There's no suck thing as a Hookman." I said. "Yeah you're probably right... or ARE YOU?" Duncan said, pulling out his hook. I screamed. He chuckled before putting his hands behind his head. "Ugh-" He said. "What is it?" "I think I cut myself." He said. I walked behind him and saw a small gash on his neck. "Yeah you did. I'll get a towel" I said. I grabbed a small towel from the cabin and wet it before walking back outside. I dabbed it on the cut, trying to stop the bleeding. "Thanks princess" He said with a grin. "No problem. I think it stopped bleeding now. You might want a bandage for it though." I said. "Eh, I'll be fine. Let's go inside." He said. I got up and walked in. Everyone else was near the beach. I walked over to my bed and laid down. Soon after I felt Duncan spooning me. He pulled the blanket over us and I smiled even more. "You happy sunshine?" He whispered. "Mhm. Now shut up so I can sleep." I said. I heard him chuckle before I drifted off to sleep in his arms.