Chapter Seventeen

It's been a day since Aurora's birthday and Abegail is back on her routine. She goes back and forth to the ICU and not to mention looking after her daughter. Abegail decided to check on Aurora who is at the moment is on her last therapy for the day. She gave her a quick kiss and told her that she will be back later with a promised to stay the night with her. She planned on calling her Gwen but according to her Mom she is running some slight fever could be from the jetlag. She is currently doing her rounds when her phone started ringing.

"Hello." Abegail checked the unknown caller.

"Hi Abegail! It's Ivan am I disturbing you?" Ivan greeted at the other end somehow that call made Abegail's heart skip a beat.

"Oh Hi! Nope you didn't just finishing up and I'll be home in an hour." Abegail checked her watch.

"Good! I'm half a mile away from the hospital right now." Ivan says from the other line.

"So why is it good?" Abegail creased her eyebrows.

"Did you eat?" Ivan questioned her back.

"Not yet, but I'll have one soon I'm also starving." Abegail heard her tummy growled. Good thing Ivan is not there to hear it.

"I'll pick up our dinner if that's fine with you, can you hold for about fifteen minutes?" Ivan took a stop at the restaurant.

"Hmm okay I guess." Abegail went to the nearby coffee vendo machine and decided to have caffeine in her system.

"I'm craving Japanese do you like it?" Ivan recommended.

"Yeah." Abegail can hear Ivan greeting someone it must have been the waiters.

"Great! What do you like to have?" Ivan is standing in front of the waiter.

"Just anything but without tuna I'm allergic to it and no wasabi please." Abegail doesn't have anymore energy to think.

"Okay, got it, anything else?" Ivan on the other line speaks with the waiter.

"No, I'm good. I got to go. Duty calls bye!" Abegail had to cut in a rush since there is an emergency call from ICU.

Abegail rushed to the elevator and proceeds to her next destination her hungry was soon forgotten and the coffee she just bought left untouched. She sanitized her hands and put on the gloves, the hair net, face mask and also the gown to protect any kind of bacteria that she might have.

"Red code!" The Nurses shouted and Abegail rushed in to check her 10 year old patient.

Upon entering she immediately took the defibrillator and charged it to 200 volts as a start. The patient's body rise up after she did the first take but still got no response.

"Clear! Charge it to 300!" Abegail demands on the standby Nurse and it still doesn't work.

"Clear!! Take it to 400!" Abegail barks again.

"Come on! Don't give up on us." Abegail chanted as she performs the reviving procedure.

It was a total chaos inside the ICU but Abegail remained calm as possible. After that last attempt the patient's heart started beating again and everyone then begin to relax. Abegail makes sure the ventilator is working and placed it properly on the patient's mouth before she left the room. After she removed the gloves and face mask she discharged it to the designated bin just then she got another call from the Emergency Room department this time. Without anymore introduction she did the normal medical analysis to the patient while checking the vital signs. Abegail clipped her stethoscope to her ears and listen to the patient's heartbeat.