She's Growing Up

I know I've been working a lot lately, but it seems that lately everytime I see Melissa she looks different every day. I hate to admit it to myself, but my little girl is growing up. She's looking more and more like her mother as the days go by. Smiling softly, I had fixed breakfast for the both of us, and after that we were going to spend the day together.

Someone then knocked on the door, and we glanced up at each other. I wonder who that could be, and I stood up walking out of the room. Going into the front door I opened it to see Cali. Giving her a smile, I let her inside, before closing the door behind me.

"What brings you by Cali?"

"Oh nothing much, just came to see how you have been."

"I'm ok."

She eyed me with her green eyes, before folding her arms.

"Your working too much Malcolm."

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair, before giving her a little grin. She gave me a scowl, before letting out a sigh, and I leaned back against the door.

"I know, I know, but I can't help it."

Her eyes soften for a moment, before she moved toward me, and took my hands.

"Malcolm I know that ever since Madeline passed away, you've thrown yourself into work. I know your grieving in your own way, but remember Melissa still needs you."

Sighing I smiled giving her hands a little squeeze, before I nodded my head.

"I know, it's just everyday she looks more and more like her. She's not my little baby no more Cali, what am I going to do?"

"Well first you should spend as much time as you can with her."

"Yeah, I know."

Letting my hands go, she moved toward the door, and I raised my eyebrow at her.

"Where you going?"

"I'm leaving, beside don't you have plans today?"

"Well... yeah."

"Then it's fine, tell Melissa that I said hello."

"All right."

Stepping aside, she waved as she went out the door. I'm really grateful for Cali being here. I can't always be here for Melissa, but I know that Cali is always just a call away if I need her. Smiling, I closed the door, and heard footsteps coming from behind me.

"Dad, who was it?"

Turning around, Melissa was standing by the wall staring at me curious, and I smiled at her.

"Aunt Cali came by, but she had to go. She says hello."

"Oh did I miss her?"

"Yeah, but it's ok."

Walking over toward her, I wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

"You know Dad?"

"Hmm?"

"Next weekend, why don't we all do something as a family."

"Just us?"

"No I mean, you, Aunt Cali, Catherine, Nanna, and I. We could go out for dinner or something. Wouldn't that be nice?"

"Yeah it would."

I'm actually surprised that she included Catherine. I know that they try to hide their dislike for each other over the years, but I still know they don't get along. My baby is really growing up, and we walked back into the kitchen to finish our breakfast.

"Dad?"

Looking at her, we were sitting at the table, and she was leaning on her hand.

"Huh?"

"You know, I'm not a little kid anymore. I know it has been hard just being with me, and you had to support the both of us, but listen. I don't want you to over work yourself ok. I worry about you."

Staring at her shock for a moment, her cheeks turned pink. Letting out a sigh, I stood up, and walked over toward her. Leaning down I pressed a kiss on her forehead, and she glanced up at me.

"I love you kid."

"I love you too Dad."

She gave me a smile, and I suddenly had this pang in my chest.

My baby is all grown up