Being Selfish part 1

Sadly Zach got in trouble staying the night, by his Dad and got grounded. I feel bad, because it was because of me that he stayed. I probably shouldn't have acted spoiled like that. He got his phone taken too, so I really don't have anyone to talk to now I was home.

Putting my bag down, I laid down on my bed. Staring at the ceiling I let out a deep sigh. Getting up, I went out my room, and down stairs. The phone then rung, and I answered it.

"Hello."

"Hi sweetheart."

"Hi Nana."

"Happy birthday."

A small gasp fell from my lips, that's right my birthday is today.

"Thank you."

I talked to Nana for a while, before she had to go. I wonder if I'm strange for forgetting my own birthday. Going into the kitchen my eyes widen. There on the table was a gift, and a card on top. Walking over to it, I sat down before picking the card up. It was a birthday card, with a message inside.

This day sixteen years ago, i fell in love for the second time.Melissa having you in my life and watching you grow up has brought me so much joy. It seems every year you look more and more like your mother. I know it has been hard since your mother died, and I know I haven't always been there. But I want you to know that I love you and I am very proud of the woman you are becoming. We may not be able to spend today together, but I'll make it up to you I promise.
Love Dad

Smiling at the card, I closed it before taking a deep breath. Man does dad know how to pull at your heart. Looking at the present, I opened it, and smiled. It was a heart shape locket, and I opened it. There was a small picture of him and I. Smiling I have to remember to give him a big hug next time I see him. I then spent the rest of the day like I normally would.

The next day at school, I was at my locker waiting when I heard my name being called. Turning I saw Marie running over to me, and I smiled at her.

" Hey Marie."

"Hi Melissa, happy belated birthday."

"Um thank you."

She smiled glancing behind me, before waving walking away. I wonder how she knew that it had been my birthday. My shoulder was the grabbed, and I was pressed into the lockers. My eyes widen when I was staring into dark blue eyes.

"Zach?"

He had blocked me with his arms, and he seemed upset. His lips were in a straight line.

"When was your birthday?"

"Yesterday?"

He seemed even more upset now, but I don't know why.

"...why?"

"Huh?"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Well actually I kind of forgot myself."

Slowly he pulled away, and gave me a look.

"How does one forget their own birthday."

I gave him a sheepish look, and he sighed shaking his head.

"So how did you spend it?"

Looking away, I rubbed my arm staring at my feet.

"I..."

"Melissa!"

Turning my head, Catherine ran to me and hugged me tightly. I hugged her back in surprised.

" I'm so sorry about yesterday, my Dad was sick so I went to spend the day with him. My Mom said she feels bad too. Did you spend it alone this year?"

Biting my lip, I pulled away giving her a smile.

"Its fine."

"But... are you sure. We can make it up to you if you want."

"No I'm fine really."

"Well we'll get you something anyways."

She gave me a smile, before running off. Why was she making a big deal out of it. Glancing back at Zach, his face was expressionless now. Cocking my head to the side, he moved in front of me again.

"You spent your birthday alone..."

Frowning I gave him a slow nod, and he racked his hand through his hair. Letting out a sigh, he stared at me, before pressing his chest to mine. Staring at him shocked, he leaned down. Pulling me into a tight hug, I hugged him back.

"I'll make it up to you after school."

"But aren't you grounded."

"Little details."

" Zach..."

"You know its Ok to act spoiled."

"Last time I acted spoiled, you got in trouble."

"That doesn't matter, your supposed to act spoiled with me. You should say how you feel, say what you want, and be happy."

"What will you get out of it with me being like that?"

He groaned, before leaning back, and flicking my forehead.

"Stupid, I'm not supposed to get something out of it. Your my girlfriend so I want to spoil you."

I could feel my cheeks turning red, and I stared down. My hand was then grabbed, and I was pulled down the hallway. Soon pushed in a corner, I stared at him. Grabbing my waist, he pressed a hard kiss to my lips. Moving my hands, I wrapped them around his neck.

Parting my lips, he pressed himself against me. Feeling the kiss, I felt warm all over, and I opened my eyes. Thus meeting his blue ones, and he broke the kiss. A lazy smile fell on his face, and he pressed his forehead against mine. Tighting my grip around his neck.

The warning bell rung, but we didn't move. Slowly he leaned back down pressing a chaste kiss in my lips, before giving a deep kiss. Closing my eyes back, I knew we could get in trouble. I knew someone could see us. I also knew that we were going to be late. Did I care? No not at all, because I was content right here.

Running a hand through his hair, he pulled away. Pressing his forehead against mine, I smiled running my hand down his chest, before taking his hand.

I really do love him