Thoughts

*Evie's P.O.V*

I looked up when I heard Moreau approach. Normally I would have smelt him long before he had approached me but being in his underground lab meant that I was constantly dealing with the heavy scent of fish and swamp water.

"Mother's called for a meeting," Salvatore informed me. We were now on a first name basis, one was bound to be when they worked on experiments together.

"She hasn't called for me to attend Sal," I said simply as I smoothed out my dress while looking at him.

"Oh well yes but I'm sure she wants you to attend, Mother always wants those that can attend to attend," Salvatore said. I sighed softly as I blew a long strand of hair out of my face. Salvatore was always so concerned with Mother Miranda and how she would feel about things. It could be annoying at times but he was the only Lord that I could comfortably call my friend.

"It would be rude of me to attend without permission," I informed Salvatore gently. Sometimes it took a more gentle approach, an approach laden with manipulation. "Although if she did invite me after the meeting has already started, we could always show her how far I can shadow travel? Think of how proud she would be to know that you figured it out, Sal," I said sweetly, a small smile on my lips.

"Oh, Mother would certainly be proud of that," Sal said with a wide smile. "Perhaps she would let me conduct more experiments," he murmured, more to himself than me. Sometimes I wondered if he even knew he was speaking out loud.

"Yes, Mother Miranda would be so proud," I reassured him, a small grin on my lips. I let Salvatore reassure himself before he left to go to the meeting. Sal had gotten used to me being in his lab so he had no problem with leaving me alone in it.

Perhaps it was wrong of me to use the latest discovery of how far I could shadow travel to manipulate Sal into not thinking I would need to attend the meeting. Sal had been so proud of how his suggestion had led to me realizing that I could shadow travel anywhere as long as I had been in the room previously.

Truthfully Cassandra had been thanks to me being able to do such a thing. She had insisted on bringing me fresh blood every single meal and watched me drink it. If I tried to refuse, which I had refused at first, she would pin me down and make me drink it. I think it was her way of showing that she cared about me.

Truthfully I didn't know which of the sisters scared me more, Cassandra or Daniela. Daniela had this crazy look in her eyes and was most certainly unhinged. However Cassandra was quite strong and seemed to have a tendency to hurt others. Never one of her sisters but I could tell the maids feared her more.

Bela was the most intriguing one of them all. She was reserved but there was a darkness that lurked behind her golden eyes. She kept her temper in check at all times, taking it out on items rather than people. She was quite similar to Lady Dimitrescu in that way.

Lady Dimitrescu was in another category of her own. I rarely saw her at all, she was always in her office or in the wine cellar. I could tell that she went to other rooms but I could never find her when she was actually in those rooms. I could smell the lingering smell of the smoke from her cigarettes when I was in those rooms.

She mainly spent time in a locked off wing of the castle from what I could smell. However I could never get into that wing of the hall. I was quite curious about what she was hiding but it wasn't my place to snoop when I was a guest in her home, no matter how much I really wanted to.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by a sudden calling that seemed to reach into my soul. I could instantly tell that it was Mother Miranda calling to me. I huffed as I tried to ignore it while trying to push it away for a few moments. It only grew more intense as I tried to ignore it and I sighed as I let my hand drift into the shadow of the seat I was sitting in.

I melted into the shadows and I pictured myself standing at the entrance of the old church that Mother Miranda had showed me. I found myself standing in the entrance in the shadows and I stepped out of them. The tight feeling that I had felt in my soul had started to loosen up. I observed the old being with mild interest.

This place certainly suited Mother Miranda's dark aesthetic that she seemed to have. The old church, the stupid golden bird mask and claws she had, and of course the dresses that she wore. I snorted at the thought of her meticulously planning out those things. It sounded like something that she would do.

I was drawn out of my thoughts by a crow cawing as it flew down from the roof of the church. It circled me, daring to peck my head. I reached up slightly, causing it to falter in its flight when it saw my hand raising up. I moved swiftly with my other hand and snagged it out of the air, using both hands to hold its wings to its sides as I held it still.

The intelligent look in the bird's eyes told me that it was one of Mother Mirandas. There was no way one of the birds that she often used to spy on people just so happened to come and attack me.

"You're a bitch Miranda, you and your little birdies," I whispered softly to the bird. The bird's eyes narrowed as I carefully let it go. It decided to try and attack me, flying up and then diving at me. I snorted and melted into the shadows, smirking when the bird hit the ground with an indignant squawk. "Bye birdie," I whispered as I entered the church with a small grin.