Braid

*Evie's P.O.V*

Lady Dimitrescu was cruel. Apparently being drunk meant that she had to keep an eye on me. I had tried to point out that she should watch her daughters but she had informed me that she knew they just slept when they were drunk. However she didn't know what I would get up to when I was drunk.

I took great offense to that since I never got up to anything. Sure I had thought about trying to steal a lycan away from Karl but I wasn't going to tell her that. Besides the lycans liked me more, I had won their allegiance by helping them catch people who wandered the forest since they liked to eat people.

I had noticed that a lot of people and things seemed to like eating people. It was a strange thing, I wondered if Mother Miranda just had a thing for cannibalism. Would it be cannibalism if you were part bird? Would eating chicken be cannibalism since she's part bird? Did she even eat?

I was currently curled up in Lady Dimitrescu's bed, my mind pondering each of those questions. However it was very hard to concentrate because Lady Dimitrescu was running her hand through my hair. It was so gentle and so nice that it made me frustrated.

"Why are you being so nice to me? Everyone says you're mean but you are always really nice to me and it makes me confused," I whined as I tilted my head back to look up at her. Her golden eyes glittered in amusement at my whining.

"Who says I'm mean?" Lady Dimitrescu asked, her voice holding amusement.

"Everyone. The maids, that bastard Karl, everyone," I whined as I turned over to look up at her.

"Well Karl is not a reliable source," Lady Dimitrescu said with a small smile. I scooted closer, my fingers playing with her hair. It was in loose curls that were so soft and nice to play with. Her hand moved to cover my hand as it combed through her curls.

"Are you a reliable source? You don't seem very reliable because you're biased," I muttered as I continued to play with her hair. I wanted my hair to be curly like hers, it wasn't fair that my hair wasn't curly like hers.

"Am I?" Lady Dimitrescu asked, her lips curling up slightly. She seemed very amused by my behavior.

"Yes, yes you is," I muttered as I let go of her hair, rolling away from her. Her hand grabbed my leg before I could roll off the bed and she held me in place.

"Darling, if you continue rolling you will hurt yourself," Lady Dimitrescu said, making me huff.

"Will not," I said as I pushed her hand away from me with a small pout on my lips. I rolled more and fell off the bed, hitting the floor rather hard. I hopped up, shaking off the pain that affected my lower back and butt.

"You hurt yourself didn't you?" Lady Dimitrescu asked as she raised an eyebrow with a frown on her lips.

"No," I shook my head quickly, my hair hitting me in the face with the quick movement. I huffed when it did that and quickly pushed it out of my face. "Stupid hair," I muttered with a small frown on my lips.

"Would you like me to put your hair up?" Lady Dimitrescu asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"Maybe," I said as I tilted my head with a curious expression on my face. "How would you put it up?" I asked.

"In a braid if you would like? Or I could do it in a ponytail?" she suggested with a small smile on her lips.

I tilted my head back and forth for a bit as I tried to decide how I would like my hair done. "Braid," I finally decided after a few minutes. I could tell that she was amused by how much I was tilting my head to decide on what I wanted.

"Come here," Lady Dimitrescu said as she got up, moving over to her vanity. I chased after her, running into her leg and falling down. I popped up after a moment, dusting myself off rather quickly.

"I'm fine," I said simply as I climbed up into her vanity chair. I sat down on my knees, looking at myself in the mirror. Lady Dimitrescu chuckled as she picked up her brush, starting to brush my hair back. I leaned my head back as I allowed her to brush my hair as I felt her start to gently detangle my hair.

Her hands were clearly experienced with braiding hair and I wondered if she kept her hair in a braid during the day. Or if she ever did Daniela, Cassandra, or Bela's hair. I felt like Daniela was the most likely, Bela seemed like she was a perfectionist who wouldn't let anyone touch her hair and Cassandra would most likely never even ask out of wanting to be tough.

I would definitely be asking Lady Dimitrescu to braid my hair again though. It just felt nice to have someone to do it for me. I had never had anyone do my hair before except for maybe when I was really little. I wished Lady Dimitrescu would do it more often.

"I can do it more often if you would like," Lady Dimitrescu said. My cheeks flushed as I realized that I had said the last part out loud. I was going to never speak to her again. "Is that really true? Could you last not speaking with me ever again?" she asked.

My cheeks burned even more as I realized I was still speaking out loud. I clamped my hand over my mouth, vowing to keep my mouth shut forever. I hated how she made me feel, she made me feel like I couldn't think straight. It was all her fault that I struggled with my emotions around her.

As soon as she was done with my hair, I stood up in the chair so we were eye level. I liked being at eye level with people. Before I could think about what I was doing, I leaned close and kissed her cheek before disappearing into my shadow form. Now I really could never be around her again.