Whiskey

*Evie's P.O.V*

My relationship with Lady Dimitrescu had been strained ever since I had rashly talked back to her. It was mainly strained because I had taken to avoiding her ever since I had talked back. That was because I had taken to avoiding her. She couldn't show how angry she was with me if I never went around her.

However I quickly realized that I missed being around her. Cassandra seemed to notice that I was a bit more sulky and had taken to teasing me about it. I had chosen to ignore her teasing for the most part but it was rather hard to do that when she was doing it constantly. All I had to do to get her to leave me alone though was threaten to steal her alcohol.

Bela seemed to understand what I needed and left a bottle of whiskey at my bedroom door. I had nearly stepped on it but had jerked back as soon as my foot touched something that wasn't the ground. I had picked it up and saw the note in Bela's handwriting that was stuck to it.

I stepped back into my room, sitting down at the chair that was near my door. I pulled the note off and read it in the dim light that was shining through my window. The writing was hastily written so I had to squint my eyes and tilt my head to read it.

'Cassandra made it sound like you needed this. Don't tell Mother,' Bela had written on it. I smiled my head, cracking open the bottle. I hadn't eaten anything today and had only drank a minimal amount of blood so I hoped this whiskey wouldn't mess me up too much. I tilted my head back as I took a large sip of it.

It burned and I had to take a deep breath once I finished swallowing my sip. I leaned back slightly as I took another sip with a small frown on my lips. The burning continued to happen but I did the adult thing and just downed the entire bottle with a few gulps.

I sat the bottle down with a clunk, closing my eyes. This bottle seemed to make my head buzz which told me that the alcohol percentage had probably been a bit higher than the last bottles I had drank. I rubbed my forehead as I stared up at the ceiling, trying to think of what to do now.

For almost half an hour, I just watched the sun get higher up in the sky until it was over the top of the house and I couldn't see it anymore. I was halfway tempted to sneak out my window and sit on the roof but it was covered in snow and I didn't want to be cold. Lady Dimitrescu was supposed to be the one that fixed all my problems and she wasn't doing that right now.

I rolled out of bed, morphing into the shadows before I could hit the floor. I slunk through the shadows until I came to a stop at Lady Dimitrescu's study and I hesitated before slipping through the shadows right into her study. There weren't many shadows in her study since it was usually a well lit room so I had to morph into the shadow of a candlestick which wasn't very comfortable.

Lady Dimitrescu was just writing something down which I thought was very boring. I morphed into her shadow, trying to see if I could somehow peek at what she was writing. Even though her shadow was cast upon the wall, I still wasn't tall enough to see what she was writing.

I unmorphed from the shadows and stood right behind her. Her hand paused after a moment before she set the pen she was holding down.

"Can I help you Evie?" Her voice made me shiver. She didn't sound angry with me but she also didn't sound super happy with me either. That made me pause but the whiskey that had made my head fuzzy made me speak without thinking much.

"Can you make it warmer outside?" I asked after a moment. That seemed to make her pause again but I didn't know why.

"I cannot control the weather, no," Lady Dimitrescu's words made me whine as I tugged at her sleeve to try and get her full attention.

"Please," I whined softly.

"Evie, I can not control the weather. I can not make it warmer outside," she said slowly, turning to face me. Her golden eyes were staring down at me and I could see them narrow just slightly when she took a breath, clearly smelling the whiskey that clung to my breath.

"But please," I repeated, my lower lip sticking out just slightly. She just shook her head and turned as if she wanted to go back to writing. That simply wouldn't do because I needed her to give me all the attention.

I tugged on her sleeve even harder, making her turn to face me again. This time though, I tried to climb up onto her lap. She ended up having to grab me to keep me from falling so it gave me an even better hold to climb onto her lap. I sighed once I was up there, resting my head on her arm as I looked up at her.

"I thought you were trying to avoid me? At least that is what Cassandra told me," Lady Dimitrescu stated as she raised an eyebrow while looking down at me.

"Cassandra talks a lot," I huffed at her words as I tilted my head side to side while holding eye contact with her.

"What are you doing little one?" Lady Dimitrescu asked. Her words sent a shock through me for some reason even though it wasn't the first time she had called me that.

"Don't call me that," I said sternly as I looked at her with a frown on my lips. It was very hard to act mad when sitting on her lap made me feel all giggly.

"Okay," Lady Dimitrescu just shook her head before she went back to work on whatever she was writing. I didn't care to look now, I was just content with sitting on her lap.