Alcohol

*Evie's P.O.V*

It had almost become a sort of scheduled thing that happened at least once a day. Lady Dimitrescu would check on me and make sure that I was doing well. It was quite strange honestly. I had never had someone that cared for me so much that they would make time to check on me. It was so strange.

With her coming to check on me though, came the teasing from Cassandra. It seemed Cassandra was fine with her mother speaking about me but the thought of her mother checking on me each day was something she couldn't pass up the opportunity to tease me about.

So every time Lady Dimitrescu came to see me, Cassandra would come shortly after she left. It had gotten to the point that I expected to see her every single time. After a week of this routine, it kind of startled me that she hadn't shown up within five minutes after Lady Dimitrescu left.

After another 30 minutes, I actually left the library to look for her. I had been spending a lot of time in the library as of late since it was the only part of the house besides my room that I was comfortable in.

I checked the cellar first since that was where Cassandra usually was. Surprisingly I saw Bela there instead. She was checking the cells and so I stood behind her silently until she turned around and nearly jumped out of her skin when she saw me. It was kind of amusing, I didn't know that she was startled so easily.

"What the hell Evie?" Bela asked as her hand rested on her heart. I could hear it pounding in her chest.

"I did not know you were scared so easily. I thought you would be used to things appearing randomly behind you," I shrugged my shoulders.

"Why would I be used to that?" Bela asked before pausing for a moment. "Oh wait, yeah Daniela does it a lot. I was just expecting to see her and not you if I was being scared," she stated.

"Don't tell Daniela that I'm stealing her thing, she might try and attack me," I said as I looked around to make sure that she wouldn't appear and try to kill me.

"I won't tell her," Bela said simply. "Now what are you doing in the cellar?" she asked curiously.

"I came to look for Cassandra, she normally comes to see me after Lady Dimitrescu visits me. She didn't come today so I was just wondering if she was busy," I said simply. My cheeks flushed as I realized just how much I liked the routine of her visiting.

"Well I don't know where she is. I would say the armory but she's pretty good at keeping track of the time," Bela said with a small frown. She dusted her hands off and I realized she had been destroying the inside of the cell.

"What were you doing?" I asked with a small frown as I tilted my head to look past her into the cell.

"Making it more uncomfortable," Bela stated. "Lord Heisenberg is sending some prisoners over and he expressed that he would like for them to be very uncomfortable," she said.

"Well I vote that Lord Heisenberg be locked in a cell," I muttered with a huff, making Bela laugh. It surprised me, she always seemed so serious.

"Mother would prefer the same but Mother Miranda says that he is useful," Bela stated.

"Mother Miranda thinks a lot of things are useful like herself when they're not," I said. Bela paused for a moment before she smiled slightly and nodded.

"I agree," she said quietly. "I could help you find Cassandra if you would like? You haven't seen the armory yet have you?" she asked.

"No, I kind of just stick to my room and the library," I said after a moment of thought.

"And mother's room," Bela said, making me huff slightly at her words. I hadn't been in Lady Dimitrescu's room ever since she had laid me down to take a nap. That was like a week ago so her accusation made no sense.

"Just take me to the armory," I said simply. Bela giggled slightly as she disappeared into a swarm and started to fly out of the cellar. I morphed into the shadows and started to follow her after a moment.

We darted through the halls and finally ended up in front of a closed door. Bela knocked on it and waited for a moment. I formed beside her as she knocked again.

"Something tells me that she isn't going to answer," I said simply. Bela huffed as she opened the door, nudging it open. The door swung open with ease and the room was dark.

"Oh god," Bela closed her eyes. "It's harvesting season," she muttered after a moment.

"Is that supposed to mean something?" I asked as I looked at her.

"It means-" Bela was cut off abruptly.

"It means alcohol, lots of it," Daniela said as she popped up from the dark room. Bela flinched before groaning.

"No more doing that today," Bela said simply. It was clear that Daniela had gotten a little drunk already. You could smell it on her breath. "Does Mother know?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Noooo," Daniela whined with a small huff escaping her. "We can't tell, we got extra this time and she would take it," she pouted.

"Yes because you don't need more than two bottles a month," Bela stated.

"Party pooper," Daniela said as she reached over and pulled Bela into the room fully. "You can come in too Evie, just so you won't tell Mother about this," she stated.

I hesitated for a moment before shrugging and entering the room. Daniela shut the door behind me and I looked at Bela who groaned.

"Belaaaaaa, come here," Cassandra groaned from the floor. She was laying on her back and reaching out her hand. "Dani won't help me up," she huffed.

"I'm not helping you up either," Bela said. I rolled my eyes as I walked over and helped Cassandra up. She smiled as she kissed my cheek, making my brain stutter to a halt.

"Thank you Evie," Cassandra said before she skipped over to the alcohol bottles. My brain was too broken for me to respond at the moment.