Babysit

*Evie's P.O.V*

I don't call what I am doing hiding. Because I am not hiding. Well, I am but only a little bit. It wasn't my fault that Lady Dimitrescu was so tall and scary. Sure I could have just obeyed her but that didn't sound fun at all. Her rules were absolute crap so therefore I shouldn't have to listen to her over.

I don't think Bela agrees with me but she is hiding me. I am currently curled up in her bed, ignoring how my hands are kind of blue. Bela won't let me hold onto her or nothing because neither her nor her sisters can survive the cold very well. It wasn't my fault that they were so susceptible to the cold! They should gripe about it to Mother Miranda, she could probably do something.

I was cuddled up in her pillows, watching her Bela read. She has a book in her hands and I can't help but be curious what she is reading about. I sit up, tilting my head as I slowly lean down to try and read the title of the book. It looked interesting enough, the cover of it was a light blue color.

"What is it Evie?" Bela asks as she closes the book. I didn't mean to interrupt her reading. I hope she knows that.

"What are you reading?" I ask curiously.

"A romance book," Bela informs me. I furrow my eyebrows slightly. A romance book didn't sound fun to read. It sounded like it would be super boring. Maybe that's cause I thought romance was icky though.

"What kind of romance?" I ask as I crawl out from under the blankets, sitting criss cross applesauce on her bed.

"One that you shouldn't read," Bela says it as if it is matter of fact. Well now I kind of do want to read it. I only really like reading things when people say I shouldn't. Actually I liked doing anything when people said I shouldn't.

"Why?" I ask as I decide that I don't like sitting, laying down so my legs are off the bed and I can move them up and down. I like moving around, it helps me stay focused. Well most of the time it does. Sometimes it doesn't.

"Because there is a lot of explicit stuff in it," Bela informs me and I furrow my eyebrows, trying to understand what she meant before it hits me.

"You're reading sex stuff!" I exclaim, looking at her with wide eyes.

"I am not," Bela defends herself quickly....almost too quickly. I can hear her heartbeat start to pick up which just adds to my theory.

"Are so," I say, looking at her with a smirk on my lips. She was a bad liar, a terrible one in fact.

"If you're going to be that way," Bela muses from a moment before she disperses into a swarm. I stare at the flies with wide eyes before they swarm around me, impeding my vision. They physically lift me up, apparently when flies work together then they can do that, and I am moved. I can't see where we are going but I know that I am being moved since my body leaves the bed.

I notice that the flies don't really touch the cold part of my body like my hands or feet or face. They tend to gravitate to flying against my back or my stomach where heat gets trapped under my clothes.

I don't even think about shadow traveling, that is far too much effort at the moment. I just decide to trust Bela and the fact that she is usually pretty nice to me. Nicer than Daniela or Cassandra, which doesn't say much but it is the truth.

I am unceremoniously dumped on the floor which makes me pout but I don't complain. It's not like it hurts or anything. I realize that I am in the armory rather quickly since there are a ton of weapons. I also know that this is where Cassandra is since she's slicing at a dummy with her sickle.

"You babysit," Bela informs Cassandra as she partially reforms to make just her face before swarming away.

"Weird bug girl," I huff as I push myself up, having to duck when Cassandra tosses her sickle in my direction. It misses and I let out a breath of relief when that happens.

"I wasn't going to actually let it hit you, just don't insult Bela," Cassandra scoffs.

"Okay, fine," I sulk as I stand up, shaking myself while I try to get used to my new surroundings. I don't really like the armory. I mean it is warm but that's not why I don't like it. I hate it because I don't like being surrounded by weapons. They give me ideas and thoughts that I am not very fond of.

"What are you doing here? Like why is Bela babysitting you?" Cassandra asks.

"Oh she's not, she's hiding me from Lady Dimitrescu," I inform Cassandra who furrows her eyebrows in confusion. She tilts her head, her yellow eyes narrowing as she studies me.

"Why?" Cassandra asks. "Mother isn't that scary," she says.

"I maybe disobeyed her, just a little bit," I admit. Cassandra narrows her eyes and I gulp slightly before opening my mouth to speak again. "Okay, maybe a lot," I say after a moment.

"That is not a good idea, why did you do that?" Cassandra asks and I can tell she is amused by my rather foolish decision.

"Cause it's fun and she's not that scary," I mutter.

"Am I not 'that scary'?" Lady Dimitrescu's voice makes me jump and I spin around, seeing her ducking through the door frame. I take a deep breath before opening my mouth, only a small squeak escaping me.

"Oh you are done for shadow," Cassandra says and despite how terrified I am, I am kind of happy that she gave me a nickname.

"Cassandra, you may leave," Lady Dimitrescu says. Despite her tone being softer, I know it is not a request and so does Cassandra.

"Bye," Cassandra says quickly before she disperses into her fly form and leaves the room through a vent. Now it's just me and Lady Dimitrescu which means I can now panic fully.