6

NORMAN

"Don't change yourself to protect somebody else's ego."

~°~
Norman was dreadfully embarassed. He had meant to say 'hello' to Ray by picking him up at the work place, but had instead made a complete  fool of himself by tripping over his outstretched arm. Norman faceplanted on to the floor.

"Norman! Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," he said, although since his face was squished on the marble tiles it probably sounded more like, "Mhm fin".

Ray turned away, making Norman peek up abruptly. "Hey, why are you ignoring me? I'm hurt!"

"Well, you said you were fine," was Ray's reply. Norman pouted and sat up.

He positioned himself beside Ray, peeking over his shoulder. "What are you looking at?"

Ray tensed and pocketed his phone. Norman decided it was best to leave his actions be; he didn't want to raise a touchy subject. Even when he was younger, he knew what upset people. Norman had learned to never push people to do things they don't want, or to make them uncomfortable by asking too many questions.

He rubbed his forehead. Norman was pretty sure it was bruised. Dang it, where was Gilda when you needed her? She always carried around a first-aid kit.

"Want some chips?" Ray waved a clearly empty crisp packet in his face. Norman shook his head. "Very funny," he told Ray. "This one's been used on me multiple times, I know the gist. I don't want a packet of crisps that's empty."

Ray blanched. "Aw, fuck." Norman raised his eyebrows. "Pardon? Language, Ray. Not appropriate talk for work."

Ray rolled his eyes behind Norman's back, but of course Norman (being Norman) noticed immediately but said nothing. "I just realised I said 'chips' instead of 'crisps'."

Norman snickered. "Seriously? Drama queen." Ray glared at him. Norman thought he was dead until the man said, "Drama queen? You mean Lord Drama, Emperor of Dramatics. Watch how you talk, Mr. Snowball."

"Wha- snowball? What did I do to deserve that?"

Ray grinned and shoved an empty chocolate bar wrapper in Norman's face. "Nothing. Just felt like it. Anyways, aren't you here to pick me up?"

Norman knew Ray was trying to change the subject but he let it slide - the time was getting late.

"Yeah, uhm - I walked here. I might need to use your car." Ray raised an eyebrow. Norman, again, ignored his antics.

~°~
"Bye." Norman waved awkwardly.

Ray coughed. "Yeah, uhm.... goodbye, I guess." There was silence. Norman turned to walk back to his apartment but Ray grabbed him by the coat sleeve. "Wait. Do you want to, like, stay the night?"

Norman beamed. Ray look shocked and then put on a defiant face. "I mean uhm - it's not like we're friends or anything! I'm still deciding on that one...

"But if you would just, y'know, stay, you could help me contact Lambda Productions about moving into the apartment near my... near our work place."

Norman nodded. "Sure. Just let me contact my agent. Hayato gets fussy when I don't tell him where I'm going."

He brought out his phone and dialed Hayato's number. It was a while before he answered. Norman tapped his foot on the pavement. "Hayato."

"What do you need, sir? How is Ray doing?" Norman replied, "He's great. Listen, can I sleep at his?"

Hayato paused on the other side of the line. "Mhm.. yes, I suppose. Sleep early, wake early. Is that clear?"

"Yup." Norman ended the call. He was most definitely not sleeping early.

He turned back to Ray. "Hayato said 'yes'!"

Ray nodded and gestured for Norman to come in. Norman entered the hotel. It was a relief as heating and the smell of cinnamon rolls hit him. "Mm, tasty!"

"Which?" questioned Ray. Norman looked at him like he was crazy. "The cinnamon rolls, you idiot!"

"And you're talking to me about language! Naughty little shi-"

"RAY, LANGUAGE!"