32

EMMA

"Life isn't measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

~°~
"So," Emma said slowly. "You like Norman..."

"Mhmm," Ray replied, sulking. He buried his face, which was a deep shade of crimson, into the sleeves of his shirt.

".. and you want to shoot your shot before we schedule a blind date for him?" Emma finished, sipping her cup of chamomile tea like she was drinking secrets.

"Yes," Ray whispered, his voice hoarse with embarrassment.

They were sitting in Emma's house, drinking tea from a teapot and mooched  round this big antique wooden coffee table.  The armchairs were big and fluffy. Emma watched as Ray almost sank fully into his.

"Mm, yeah. I like that."

"Huh?"

"The thing is, the date is already scheduled," Emma said. "Sorry Ray."

"What?!" Ray looked up, panicking. "So you're saying Norman is going on a date with some random person- ?"

"Calm down," Emma assured him. "The good news is, I was actually going to drop over to your place to tell you: you're the candidate for the blind date!"

"... Excuse me?"

"You're the one Norman's going on a date with!" Emma shouted, doing jazz hands for an enthusiastic finish.

".. Pardon?" Ray gawked. His jaw looked like it might fall to the floor.

Maybe Emma needed a slower, clearer approach. "Alright, Ray," she said slowly and loudly. "Norman is going on a blind date. A date is when two or more people who love-"

"I got that much, Emma! But why am I going on a blind date with Norman?"

"Huh?" Emma said, making sure the confusion in her voice was clear to Ray. "Because, you love him, idiot! And there's every chance he could be in love with you!"

"I don't... no. Not like this. I don't want to," Ray refused.

"You don't want to what?" Emma asked. She was taken aback. What was Ray refusing?

"The blind date, I mean. I'm not going."

"What?! Why not?" Emma yelled, shell-shocked.

"I don't want to go on a blind date when Norman doesn't know who I am, yet I know everything about him. It just doesn't seem right," explained Ray. "It's clearly unfair."

"But life is unfair, Ray!" Emma argued. "You've got to seize the moment-"

"Give it up, Emma," Ray insisted. "I'm not going."

Emma looked down to the floor. How could Ray refuse her offer to set them up on a date? If he loved Norman so much, why didn't he just take the opportunity? Then her eyes brightened.

Ray didn't want to go on a date with Norman. And he didn't need to. That was OK. In fact...

"Hey, Ray," Emma said calmly.

"Listen, Emma-" Ray began, but he was cut off.

"No, you listen," Emma insisted. "I don't really ship you and Norman anymore."

"You.. don't?" Ray asked. He seemed suspicious.

"No, I don't," Emma agreed. "So how about you give up on him. You don't need him. Haven't you spent enough time chasing after him?"

"I.. I guess so.." Ray muttered. He couldn't seem to meet her eyes.

"So how about, Norman goes on his blind date," she said cooly, "and you go on yours."

"I.. don't understand?"

"Obviously, neither of you are interested in eachother anymore. You can show Norman that you don't care anymore. Go on a blind date with someone else. He can have fun with his date, but you'll have even more fun with yours," Emma concluded. "What do you say?"

"I- I don't know, Emma. I never said I'd gotten over Norman, I only-"

"Come on, Ray!" Emma rolled her eyes for dramatic effect. "If you're really stuck to him that much, it might make him jealous. But I guess then if you get together, you'll have to spend the rest of your life kissing his ass. You might get married," she continued, "And adopt little mini-Normans, who'll wreck the house and-"

"Emma, that actually sounds pretty cute. I'd love to get married to Norman.  I think you're trying to make Norman sound unappetising. Why though, that I don't know." Ray glared at her, though his expression was deadly calm.

Emma swallowed. Maybe this wouldn't work after all. "I-"

"I'll go on your stupid blind date. But just know.. there's no way I'll ever, and I mean ever let go of Norman. Living or dead. So don't try your luck."