Clio

"Get her out," I growl, glaring at Kayla, who is wrapped around Jace. Vic has his hands around my waist. "She don't need to be here, Vic. I don't care if the restrainin' order DID expire yesterday...."

I'm seething. I absolutely hate Kayla. Not because she hates me, but because we used to be friends in ninth grade. Until she slept with my boyfriend at my house during MY birthday party.

Vic looks over at her. "Just ignore her. Get in the hot tub and enjoy life." He pats my hand.

I shake my head. "Whatever. I don't even wanna swim anymore. I'm gone." I pull away from Vic and head inside, slamming the door.

Robbie and Steven look up from the stove, identical looks of confusion on their faces. "Clio... How do you cook Ramen noodles?" Steven asks.

I bite back a smile. "Hot water. Pour noodles in. Pour out hot water when noodles are done. Season noodles."

He nods, glancing back at the pot. "Oh okay, I think I got this." He holds a finger up. "It's bubblin'. ROBBIE GET THE NOODLES."

Robbie takes off and throws four packs at him successively.

Bad mood not entirely gone, but put off to the back of my mind, I head to Mama's room, dripping water from my brief stint in the pool.

A moan greets my ears as I pass by Drake's room.

I've learned to not even check anymore. You'll see some things checking on every little thing.

I pause at her closed office door when I hear voices. A male voice. And not one I remember.

"Listen, I don't need your help," Mama says, almost pleadingly. "I'm successful. You told me that you would leave us alone if I had a way to provide for her. She's well taken care of, happy, and she gets what she wants."

Her? She? There's no other girl in her life but me.

And why does she seem so agitated? It worried, better yet.

His voice is deep and cool, almost scary. It makes me want to step away. "I'm not worried about you needing my help. I have claims to the child, as you would know. She needs to know me."

Child? I'm SIXTEEN.

Mama sighs. "Not right now. When she's eighteen, she'll be given that choice. But I say no. I'm her mother." Her voice breaks.

He laughs. A chair moves. "See, you keep speaking as if you won't give in to me, darling. Just like you did sixteen years ago."

There's a sharp intake of breath. "Stop," Mama mumbles.

I hurry and turn to open the door. It's locked. "MAMA," I call, banging on it. My stomach turns.

She opens the door, keeping it hidden. "Yes?" Her face is drawn tight, concealed.

I try to peer behind her. "Who is that? Is he botherin' you? I can take care of'em." I cross my arms, attempting to look menacing.

A small smile somewhat crosses her face. "Go take your shower, babe. I'm fine."

I arch an eyebrow. "Are you sure? I don't mind usin' these fists of fury." I raise them up.

She sighs. "Go, Clio. I'll be out in about thirty minutes to eat dinner."

I give her my patented Look. The one I give misbehaving or lying boys. "Mama," I warn, "I don't trust him--he might hurt us."

. "YOU don't have anything to worry about. And as long as you're here, I'm fine. So go." She shoos me away.

I turn on my heel, upset.

<3 <3 <3

After getting out of the shower, I perch myself at her door. The voices have dropped to where I only catch a few words, none of them I recognize. They're arguing, too.

I play "what's the word?" on my phone, waiting. I'm determined to stay here all day. I refuse to let my mother get hurt. I didn't come to get rescue once, and she got stabbed by one of the Boys. She told me it wasn't my fault, but I still don't believe it. Thirteen is old enough to help.

The door opens down the hall. I hear Kayla and Jace share a long, passionate kiss. I can't even. I give her a dark look that she doesn't notice.

I hear footsteps coming closer to the door. I stand up, tucking my phone into my pocket. The door clicks, and I wait for him to come out.

As soon as he does, my heart drops in my chest.

He looks exactly like he did seven years ago. From that curly haircut to that dangerous smirk, and then that slender body encased in an immaculate suit. It's a wonder how the people I'm related to have been so neat and organized, and I'm so messy and out of place.

His smirk broadens into a full-on grin. "Miss me?" his eyes ask, but his mouth is saying something else. I can't believe that this guy could be my father. Not after what he did last time.

I shiver.

"You should listen to your mom, Squirt. Didn't she tell you to go?" His voice is, as I remember it, mildly amused and uncaring.

I nod.

He reaches out to touch me, put a hand on me. I flinch back.

"Now, now, don't be like that," he says soothingly.

He reminds me of a snake about to attack. Calculating the right moment to sink his fangs into me.

I won't let him.

I take off down the hall, trying to get as far away from him as possible. I run blindly, straight into someone's chest.

"Clio?"

"Lemme go," I mumble, as Jace grabs me. His arm tightens behind my waist.

"You're safe."

I don't why, but I believe him.

A/N: sorry it's short, but I'm just tryna get some chapters out there in my spare time.