Jace

A little girl grabs my pants leg, smiling a toothless grin at me. She looks to be about two while she's sporting some kind of hairstyle that has a.... Lollipop? stuck in it. "I'm Maggie. I'm five."

"Oh." I glance around, looking for Clio--who took off at the first sign of basketball players. Somebody by the name of Jay Davis.

"Who're you?" She opens her arms. "Pick me up."

Her demanding tone throws me off. I pick her up immediately, setting her on my hip. "I'm Jace."

"Oh." She wrinkles her nose. "That sounds like a girl name."

"Maggie sounds like a boy name."

She shakes her head. "No it's not. Have you seen my mama, Mr. Jace?"

Probably. But I wouldn't recognize her. "Maybe. What's she's look like?"

"Like a mama."

Well that really clears shit up. "Where did you come from?"

"Home."

I bite back an irritated sigh. Children never answer what you really want to know. "What was the last animal you saw?"

"RAWRRRRR!" She puts up her hands like claws and makes a growling face. "That."

Lion? Okay. That's a start. "Was your mom there?"

"Yeah. She took picture." Maggie pulls up my shirt sleeve and touches my tattoo. "Your boo boo is pretty."

"Thanks, Mag."

"'Swelcome."

I go back to where the lions are, watching for some panicked, worried mom. Meanwhile, Maggie is chatting her ass off, playing in my "girl" hair. Her little hands are tangling it up, and I'm aware how this girl can look like my daughter--you know, if I had her at thirteen--to some people.

I see a security cop, doing a quick scan of the zoo, almost like he's looking for something. A child, maybe? I hurry up to him, offering Maggie. "This girl came up to me, sayin' she lost her mom...." I trail off, unsure what to add.

Maggie rests her head on my shoulder. "Jace is nice, Mr. Police-Man. He said he was gonna help me find Mama."

The officer smiles. "Are you Maggie?"

She nods. "I'm five."

He nods his head at me. "Thanks for bringing her to me. I'll make sure she gets to her mom."

I nod, going off in search of Clio, who is leaning over a table by herself, the so-called NBA player staring directly at her chest. She bats her eyelashes and giggles, a charming smile coming across her face.

Jealousy hits me. She hasn't smiled at me like that.

A security guard tries to stop me from going into the area. I give him a dark look. "That's my girl--girlfriend," I say. The word feels foreign in my mouth. I've never had a girlfriend. Or a friend that was a girl. I've had sexual partners. But nobody permanent. 

I shake his hand off.

Clio stands up when she sees me, a smile dancing across her face. "Hey, Jace." She wiggles her fingers at me, turning back to the NBA player. He's ugly. I don't judge boys, but this guy is ugly as hell. He gets nobody. His wife is going to be a gold digger. "You know Jay?"

Jay? Why does she sound so personal with him?

I step closer to her, wrapping my arm around her waist and pulling her closer to me. "No, why?" She fits directly under my armpit. Short girls aren't cute--bending down to kiss them and hurting my back is shit. Fuck that "romantic" lotion. My back hurts too much for all that. But I can see how it could be cute.

"Oh. He's cool as cucumbers. He was jus' tellin' me about bein'  a rookie last year," she gushes, shrugging from underneath me. 

"Oh really?" I glare at Jay, who gives me a confused look.

"Mmmhmm." Oblivious, Clio chatters on excitedly. I grab her hand, marking her as mines. I slept with her last night. Maybe not in the way he might think I did, but, hell, I did it.

A small woman with dark hair comes out then, clipboard in hand. "Okay, guys, you have to go now. This Day at the Zoo is officially over."

Clio pouts. "Aww! Well, bye, Jay! See ya at a game or somethin'."

He waves. "Later, Clio." His eyes dart to her chest once more.

I do something even I think is too much.

I squeeze her tit and give him a look that clearly reads, You jealous?

Which is why I don't see her hand across my face.

</3 </3 </3

I've killed the friendly mood we had. But, honestly, it wasn't going to last much longer anyway. She wouldn't be able to not be herself for any longer. And I had rude ass comments bubbling up anyway.

"Hey, fatass, you want a burger. I know you're hungry. You didn't get to be that size by diets, right?" I look over at her from the driver's seat.

She ignores me.

I grin, pulling down the street to our home. Home? When did that place become home anyway? "So, Clio, Jay was looking directly at your breast. I have to admit, I got a good handful. Double D's huh?" I  eye her chest. Of course, I already know her bra size. It's one of my skills.

The steam is practically rising off of her. I pull into the yard, parking her car. "Looks like your dad is still here. You going kiss and make-up? Emphasis on the kiss? You an' Vic pretend your brothers, and you're fuckin' him. Maybe you like incest."

Some kind of reaction, anything....

She turns to me, water brimming in her eyes. "You know what, Jace? I'll make up with my dad when you make up with that Tina bitch!" She gets out and slams the car door.

I take a deep breath. 

Fuck.

_____________

A/N: For some reason, this chapter, and Jace's chapter before this was deleted. Not sure why, though. I'll try and rewrite it.... or something. Anyway, the next chapter will be long! I've just been boggled down with school stuff and junior class things, and sports, and.... you really don't care. I'll just update by Friday, hopefully, Sunday at the latest.