Jace

My eyes stray over to Clio during the game. She looks how I feel--tired. Her hands are wrapped tightly around the little girl, who points every time Darryl gets the ball, saying, "Daddy!" excitedly. She turns back to Clio, grinning.

I sigh, trying to focus on the game, but my mind isn't even on it anymore. I take another look at Clio. She looks amazing tonight. In something as simple as a basketball jersey, a snapback, and a pair of skinny jeans. It's those hips. And that ass. And the way her eyes light up when she smiles. And--

Her eyes catch mines. She gives me a dark look. "What?" she mouths.

I grin. "You're beautiful." Maybe I should stop telling her she's pretty. I don't want her to get too excited about it or anything. I don't want her to think I'm actually in love with her. 

She gives me a surprised look, but turns away. I bite back a smile as Lai cheers, throwing her hands into the air and almost knocking me out. She doesn't even notice.

It wouldn't be that hard, I tell myself, blandly watching the game, to tell Clio I love her. Give her that power over me. She wouldn't abuse it. She wouldn't hurt me like Tina did.

On the contrary, Jace, you'd probably hurt her more than she would hurt.

I mean, look at you, you're already hurting her. Just tell her you love her. Make her able to control you. You've been controlling yourself for the past ten years, and look how well you're doing. Maybe it's time to give the reins to someone else.

I sigh, shifting uncomfortable, thinking about the other night. She stopped me from murder. Lord knows I was really going to do it. I was going to go find Tina and beat the shit out of her first--and then kill her. Put a bullet through her heart, back, and head. Made sure there was no way she would live again. But no. Clio distracted me. 

I can't focus on anything but her when I'm around her. And it's hell playing basketball with her. Especially with her getting low like that and playign defense in a near-squat with her ass sticking out. I can barely keep my head in the game.

I look over again. She's smiling, tickling Day during a time out. Oh. It's almost over. Great. Ten point lead for the Jays, Darryl's team, and two minutes left. Not impossible. But unlikely.

Clio's mouth moves as she says something to Day. the little girl nods, and then they both turn to me. Almost immediately, a toddler is sitting in my lap, playing with my hair.

"Oh. Hi."

She laughs, throwing her chubby arms around my neck. "Jace!" she cries. "See Daddy? Daddy play backet-bawl." 

I nod. "Really? Is he good?"

She starts to nod, but stops, thinking. "He can't jump."

Actually, Darryl has some mad hops. I tilt my head to the side. "He can't?"

She shakes her head. "No. I can jump over him."

"You can?"

She nods, completely serious. Then she switches the topic in complete toddler fashion. "I love Clio."

"You do?"

"Mmmhhmm. My Clio. You love Clio?"

Little girl, you have no damn idea.

</3 </3 </3 </3

I get out the shower in the hotel suite, meeting Clio at the door. She already showered earlier, and she still has that sweet, soapy smell on her. Her pajamas consists of a long shirt--mines--and a pair of shorts I can't even see. I loosen the towel around my waist, hoping to cover up my display of hormonal lust.

She rolls her eyes. "Please. I've seen it before, remember? You decided to drop your pants a few weeks ago." She keeps going past me, bare feet padding against the carpet floor.

I follow after her, desperate to see her. Touch her. Anything. "Clio, wait."

She sighs. "What could you possinbly want now?"

Her lips look amazing. Plump and full and kissable. "Can I kiss you?" I blurt out, watching her lips.

I don't see her hand come up and across my face. "You idiot! Jace, what the hell do you want? A booty call? You say you don't want me, but then you-"

I can't take it. I shut her up by kissing her, molding my body to hers. She fits perfectly. So right. She lets out a little moan, her hands on my chest, trying to push me away and pull me closer. I come up for air for a few seconds, a smile on my face. "That little slap? It was hot."

She lets out a frustrated growl before walking away from me. The door slams in my face.

I laugh. Damn.

</3 </3 </3 </3

Lai comes in drunk, Titus carrying her, looking for all the world bored. Most guys would be looking down her shirt right now. Which makes me think. Is he gay?

He sets her down on the sofa, and she snores. He doesn't notice me yet, instead choosing to make  a call. I don't move yet. I want to see what's up with this new kid. And why he got permission to leave the House this soon. It took me four weeks to be able to go anywhere but school. Probably because I was a dick. But still.

"Hello? Dylan? Yeah...." He smiles, almost a breath of relief.

Dylan? The fuck?

"I'm good, baby, how are you?" He chuckles. "I'm tryin'.... we'll still have to go out of state to marry, though."

Aw shit. This guy is my fucking roommate.

I don't have a problem with gay men--as long as they are far, far, far away from me. I strain my ear to hear the last part of the conversation.

"Yeah, well, I haven't told anyone either," he whispers. "I'll see you soon."

I stand up then, staring at him. "Look, Titus, if you're gay, it's perfectly fine, but--"

He looks shocked. "Gay? What? I'm not--I'm not gay!" 

I give him a look of understanding. "Then who's Dylan?"

He laughs--loudly. "Oh, God, no, Jace. Jesus Christ. This is Dylan. Dylan Ann Leblanc." He lifts up his phone and shows me a picture of a pretty blonde with blue eyes. 

Oh. oh. I feel like a dick now. "Oh. Sorry about that then... why can't you marry her?"

A dark look crosses his face. "I'll tell you my business when you finally tell Clio you love her." And then he, too, leaves the room.