050

Jesse

The evening brings a chill, the soft wind blowing through her hair while we stand outside the restaurant to wait for her mother. I watch her chew on her dark red lip, leaning forward to get a clearer view of the street-many vehicles passing by on the well-lit streets.

"What time did your driver pick her up again?" Katherine asks softly, gazing over her shoulder to meet my eyes. I could see the doubt clouding her forehead, a deep-set frown pinching her brows together. I glance down at my watch. It was a quarter til' eight, and I had sent my driver twenty-five minutes ago, and Mrs. Stratford should've been here by now.

"It's been fifteen minutes since then, baby," I lie, stepping toward her. I didn't want to lie to her, but it felt like the right thing to say to soothe the apprehension. She visibly relaxes, shaking out the nerves through her hands. "There was probably some traffic on the way there. She'll be here."

"I know," Katherine sighs, running her fingers through her hair to comb it back. "I know, it's just...I know my mother, Jesse. Bailing on this dinner wouldn't be much of a surprise."

I bite my tongue, refraining from giving insight she didn't ask me for-I was here for Katherine. She's the only person who mattered in this situation. A sleek black Mercedes leisurely rolls against the curb, settling the anger that had started to bubble a few moments ago. "This should be them."

Her frigid fingers slip into my grasp, tightening her hold-her body tensing beside me. I could feel her quickening pulse against my wrist, the lone sight of my driver stepping out of the car making her nervous. Hell, so was I.

I imagine what it must've been like for Katherine to meet my parents-my family. She probably felt just as I do right now. My eyes shift to the profile of her face, her teeth nibbling anxiously on her lips as the driver pulls the passenger door open. My pulse quickens as soon as she steps out-a leather flat touching the pavement.

"Sorry, I'm late," Her mother speaks softly, dusting off her skirt before her eyes meet mine. "I couldn't find the shoes I wanted to wear. Guess I forgot to pack them."

Katherine's lips pull into a tight smile, sharing a glance with me, and she steps forward-dropping my hand to take her mother's. "I'm just glad you made it, mom."

She lets out a breathy laugh, squeezing her daughter's hand. "I told you I would, honey. Now," She exclaims, her attention darting to me. "Who's this?"

I swallow hard, letting my girlfriend pull me beside her. "This is Jesse, ma. My boyfriend. Jesse," She says. "This is Olivia Stratford, my mother."

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Stratford." I outstretch my hand, my mouth suddenly becoming dry. Her eyes narrow to a pinprick, the fine lines crinkling. The exact shade of green I was used to swirling into her irises. It was easy to see where Katherine got her beauty from-Olivia being the source of that, just older.

"Jesse," She starts, accepting my hand for a shake. "I've heard a lot about you." Her honeyed tone-setting off my skepticism. I wasn't sure if it was to be trusted or doubted. I couldn't say the same for her, but I smile anyway--granting the older woman a polite smile.

"And I, you," I reply, dropping her hand altogether. "They were all good things, I hope?"

Olivia swallows thickly, concurring with a nod as she answers. "Ditto."

"Okay!" Katherine exclaims, clasping her hands together with a loud smack, startling us both. "Shall we head inside?" Her panicked eyes dart between her mother and me-- almost worried that we didn't like each other from the jump, but I kept my opinions at bay.

"Absolutely," I grin, offering my arm to her mother. "Let us begin."

> > > > > > > >

--Katherine--

I divide my attention between the three; my poached salmon and a side of greens, Jesse, and the worried glare my mother was giving him.

It was almost as if they were at each other's throats without speaking a word. It plagued me. I knew right off the bat that Jesse was on edge with my mother. And my mother's weariness was not hard to see. They hadn't said a word since we'd gotten our food and I was starting to sweat. I had to break the tension somehow.

"So..." Olivia begins, making me sigh in relief. "Why couldn't your brother join us?" God, if Dylan were here? This silence wouldn't even exist.

"Dyl had an interview today with...He got a call from your brother, Jess," Jesse's gaze drifts to me. "Did I forget to mention that?"

"Caleb called me beforehand," He mumbles, tearing his eyes away to push around the greens with his fork. "From what I heard, Dylan has the job."

"Oh?" Olivia chimes, tucking her folded hands underneath her chin--curiosity swirling in her eyes. "You have siblings?"

I take a deep breath, unnerved by the direction of this conversation. Jesse nods, meeting my mother's stare. "I have three, not including myself." He answers cooly, the cling of his fork hitting the plate echoing around us.

"And you said that Dylan had an interview with his brother?" Her focus averts on me, subtly asking for more without actually asking.

"Caleb Thomas owns a developing company in San Francisco," I explain, carefully observing her expressions. "I told him that Dyl wants to make video games, and he just happened to have an open door."

She hums in response, a tight smile pulling the corners of her mouth. I couldn't tell if she was happy for her son or just plain bitter. It was always hard to tell. "Sounds like you kids made something of yourselves, huh?" Her smile softens, head tilting to the right. "Landon would've been proud."

Her remark makes my heart tighten, the very thought of my father causes my eyes to water. God, I missed him so much. "Thanks, mom," I mumble, blinking back the oncoming tears.

"You okay?" Jesse grunts, leaning closer as he squeezes my wrist--his eyes locked onto mine.

I nod reassuringly, grabbing his hand to interlace it with mine. "I'm fine, promise."

Jesse's lips gently peck the side of my temple before he kisses the top of my hand with a peck. "I'm here, I always am."

"I know," I smile appreciatively, slowly disconnecting our hands as I go to stand. "I'm going to the restroom," I say loud enough for my mother to hear as well. "I'll be back in a moment."