006

My knee bounces in apprehension, trying to keep me from touching anything in his car. My eyes wander, taking in the interior and all the buttons on the dash. I swallow hard, my hands resting in my lap as the car rolls past the streets and many buildings.

"Why so tense?"

The sound of Jesse's voice causes me to flinch, my pulse quickening as I turn my head to look at him. "Hmm?" I hum, my knee suddenly slowing until it stopped completely.

"You look a little pale," He notes, glancing at my face before returning his attention to the hectic streets of the city. "Was it the coffee?" He asks, "I know you said wanted it black but, I didn't think you actually took it like that."

Frowning softly, my eyes flicker down to the cup tucked into the holder. I forgot I even had it. Moving my hand from my lap, I reach for the paper cup, bringing the rim to my lips to take a sip. As soon as the coffee settled on my tongue, recognition flashed in my head. "Vanilla latte?" I mused, remembering the other day when I accidentally messed up on the cups.

"Yeah, did you not want that?" Jesse asks, "Or were you serious about plain coffee?"

"No, I just...It's good, thank you." I reply, letting myself smile. The office was rolling closer, the familiar sidewalks I use to get there, passing us by. The car slows to a stop, the glass doors that lead into the lobby coming into view.

Jesse raises the break, shutting off the engine with a push of a button. Before I could thank him for the ride, he unfastens his seatbelt and stepped out, shutting the door behind him. I watch him, my hand lingering on the button to release the seat belt. He walks around the front, jogging to my side and pulling my door open for me.

I look up at him through my lashes, somewhat taken and confused. "Thank you," I mumble, clicking the button before reaching for my purse at my feet as well as the paper cup. Was there a chance he could actually be a decent man?

"You're...welcome," He trails, reaching for his cell in his pocket, frowning at the screen. "Why don't you head in? I've got to make a call."

I nod hastily, not even caring if he didn't want to be seen with me. I was just glad he wasn't going to fire me, at least not yet. I head up the stairs and pry the door open.

"Mornin' Miss Katherine!" Tony greets me, waving from behind his desk. "You're actually on time for the second time in a row, that's gotta be some kind of record," He jokes, making me shake my head as I fish out my pass, scanning the barcode to get buzzed in.

"Don't get used to it!" I exclaim, the elevator doors closing shut. I blow out a breath, recalling my morning as I take another swig of my latte. My eyes meet the reflection of the mirrored walls inside the elevator. Even I had to admit, the clothing was nice quality, better than my Saturday morning target runs for new business attire.

The dial dings above me, the doors opening up to the very top floor and I immediately start for my office but am soon stopped by Karen as she emerges from the break room. "Kat!" Her brows lift in surprise, her fingers dunking a tea bag into her mug by the tag. "You're early, you even made it here before the boss."

I nod in agreement. "Yup," Little did she know that we arrived together. "I might make it a regular thing, ya know? Coming to work early just to spite the boss."

Karen snickers, scrunching up her nose as she shakes her head at me. "Always trying to get a rise outta him, huh?" She cradles her mug in her hands, her eyes taking in my appearance, "You look nice, new clothes?"

"Something like that," I reply, "I've been meaning to ask if you called Jennifer. Curious matchmaker and all,"

"Yeah," Karen beams, her face lighting up, grinning brightly. I swore her cheeks were turning pinker. "It was a bit rough at the beginning but, I explained that I was nervous and hadn't been on a date in years," She continues, glancing down at her shoes before meeting my eyes again.