052

-Katherine-

I stare up at the ceiling, combing my fingers through my damp hair in the darkened expanse of the guest room. I couldn't fucking sleep, recollecting the argument a few hours prior.

"Would you just talk to me?"

Jesse's voice is strong enough to echo in the quiet of his living room as I storm through the unlocked doors. I toss my jacket over the arm of his sofa, crossing my arms in defense. "There's nothing to talk about," I whisper, meeting his steel blues, as the doors slammed shut.

"Did I do something wrong?!" He exclaims, gesturing to himself-nostrils flaring from the frustration that had started to bubble since we got in the car. "Was it your mother?"

I shake my head, chewing on the inside of my cheek-breaking eye contact while I turn away from his line of view.

"Is it your birthday?"

My head snaps back to him, my arms falling to my sides at the source of my irritability. "I told you to let it go. I've asked you in the car to let me be. Why can't you respect that?" My birthday was a touchy subject. Even Jen understood that. She didn't poke or prod, and I was grateful for that. Yes, Jesse had a right to know why, and though he was my boyfriend-I wasn't prepared to discuss it.

"Sweetheart, it's me," Jesse pleads, striding toward me-reaching out to hold my face in his palms. I step out of range, making him drop his hands with a sigh. "Whatever it is, you can tell me. you know that, right?"

I stare at him, beginning to chew on my bottom lip. "I'm tired, Jesse," I finally say, not having the strength to argue about something stupid. "I don't have the energy."

"Why are you being like this?" He remarks just as I brush past him. "Why are you being so fucking difficult?"

I froze, my stomach pulling and twisting at the words that fell from his mouth. My throat had begun to dry out, and now it's as if I'm arguing with Jake for the millionth time. "What did you just say to me?" I whisper, remembering when I've heard those exact words before. He caught me just before I stormed out of the venue-mascara running down my cheeks as I threw the bouquet at him. We argued terribly, but I didn't give him a chance to speak.

"You're just walking away," He grunts. "How are we supposed to make our relationship work if we can't communicate? You want me to drop your birthday? Fine, I won't bring it up. But don't fucking walk away because you want to avoid it."

"I'm not avoiding shit!" I snap, seeing nothing but red at this moment. "Sorry, I'm not you. I'm not good enough for perfect Jesse Thomas. With his perfect life and family!" I sneer with my pulse on fire.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Jesse argues, "I never said you weren't good enough! Where the fuck is this coming from?"

I swallow hard, shaking my head at him as I turn on my heel-continuing my journey up the stairs.

"There you go," He grumbles. "Walking away again."

I stop in the middle of the stairs, looking down at his figure below. "Fuck you, Jesse." And I storm into the guest room-slamming and locking the door behind me.

I shake away the sleepless thoughts, glancing over at the clock to count how many hours it'd been. I blow out a breath, shutting my eyes at the hurtful words floating through my mind. It was three-thirty in the morning-the loud city never quieting down. I toss the sheets from my body and sit up, swinging my legs to the ground.

I didn't feel right. I was in the wrong, and I knew that Jesse meant well. He's been nothing but a good boyfriend. He didn't have to agree to dinner. He didn't have to pick up my mother or even pay. He did those things for me. The least I could do was give him a rational explanation as to why I was being an asshole. I owed him an apology.

My bare feet pad across the wooden floors, halting in front of the door as I go to unlock it-pulling it open. I'm met with the absence of light, a sliver of it emerging from the cracked door to Jesse's room. I tiptoe towards his room and slowly swing it open. His figure comes into view-the bottom half of his body tangled in sheets while the top stood on display. But he was asleep, from what I could tell. I step further into the room, fiddling with the ends of my sleep shirt. "Jess?" I whisper, cautious as to not startle him awake.

"Jesse," I call out firmly, hoping my low voice was enough to wake him, and I step even closer-stopping at the edge of the bed, his back facing me.

He stirs, humming at the sound of my voice before turning his head-eyes narrowed, adjusting to the obscurity. "Katherine?" He murmurs, my name simply panging at my chest. "Why're you up, baby?" That settled me, his body fully turning to me.

"I couldn't sleep," I mumble, and I regard him scooting further to make room for me. "I...I'm sorry. I'm sorry for what I said, and I'm-"

"Sweetheart," Jesse interrupts me as he pushes himself up to sit against the headboard. "C'mere," He beckons with a curl of his finger. I comply wordlessly, climbing onto the bed beside him. He kisses his teeth, pulling me onto his lap with a tug of my hips. "I'm the one who should be apologizing, not you. You were right. I should respect your boundaries-I shouldn't pry. I'm sorry."

"No," I oppose, shaking my head at him. "You were right. I can't-shouldn't walk away in the middle of a discussion. And it wasn't fair of me to lash out as I did. You didn't deserve that either. You have been nothing but kind and understanding with me. I'd be a fool to take advantage of that. You're the last person I'd want to keep in the dark. I want you to know me, just as I've gotten to know you."

Jesse's lips pull into an appreciative grin, his hand gently cupping my cheek-his thumb grazing the soft skin beneath it. "I love you. You know that, right?"

I answer him with a slight nod, leaning close to rest my forehead on his. "I know," Fuck, if I didn't. "And I'm sorry about my birthday. I..."

"You don't have to tell me right now," Jesse leans back to capture my gaze. "Whenever you're ready, I'm here for you."

I push the hair away from his forehead, combing it back with my fingers, nodding at his suggestion. There wasn't a casual way to begin, it was fucked up from the jump. "I don't want to sound like I'm seeking pity or that I'm dumping trauma on you." I heed, dropping my palm to his shoulder.

"You're not, I promise."

"Okay," I breathe out, glancing below at my knees on either side of his thighs. "I...I lost my father that evening." I finally say, not daring to meet his eyes. "I spent the majority of my birthday in the ICU. He was pronounced dead around eight o'seven. I hated my birthday ever since."

"Oh, sweetheart," Jesse coos, drawing me against him to hold me in his grasp. "Fuck, I'm so sorry, baby. I...I didn't know and-"

"How could you?" I mumble, shrugging my shoulders as I look at him. "I never told you. I never even told Jennifer. And when it does come up, she'll hand me a card and a gift without saying a word." I chuckle, remember the many times I'd see a card slide under my door.

"Your mother's right, you know?" He trails, treading lightly with his words. "I'm sure your father would want you to celebrate."

I nod softly, knowing damn well that Jesse, and my mother had a point. My dad would've hated my reasoning. "I don't know, Jesse. I mean, I know it's been a long time since then, but..."

"We don't even have to sing the song, or buy you a cake. Just," He pauses, grazing my bare thighs. "Lemme take you somewhere, yeah?"

I ponder on it, long and hard before I answer him. "I still want the cake though."

Jesse grins widely, snickering at my answer. "I'll buy you a thousand cakes if it means I get you to myself for a weekend."

"Where are we going?"

"That, my love," He whispers, drawing me against his lips. "Is a surprise."

•••••••••••••••••••

Alrighty, these next few chapter are gonna be a little *clears throat* smutty...so, if you're uncomfortable with that sort of thing, I'm sorry and if you A-okay with it, well...enjoy the ride😏😘