025

There she was, in all her glory-arrayed in an ivory gown, sweetheart neckline bedazzled with rhinestones trimming the edges. Blonde hair swept and combed into a low bun, a few curls framing her face-the biggest smile painted on her face as she danced with her new husband. Amber looked beautiful, and no matter how angry I was at the time, I was happy for her.

The moment I saw her, it dawned on me that Jacob wasn't who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. In a weird way, I was glad he cheated on me. I glance at Jesse, his eyes on no one else but me. He flashes me a warm smile, taking a hold of my hand to place a soft peck on top. "You doin' okay?" He asks, leaning closer so that I could hear him over the sound of Ed Sheeran's, Thinking Out Loud.

"Better than I thought," I reply, leaning close as well. "You being here is enough." I breathe, and I meant that with every bone in my body.

The song ends, the bride and groom share a kiss before they join the rest of the party. The crowd grew loud once again, laughter and clinks of champagne glasses filling my ears. It wasn't until I took a sip of my drink, that her blue eyes caught mine. Why do people keep spotting me? "Great," I sigh, setting the flute down. "Here comes the bride."

Jesse follows my line of vision, squinting lightly as she dismisses herself from her mother. He glances back at me, then at Jacob. "That's Amber?" He mumbles, scooting his chair closer to mine. I nod in response, tossing the napkin on the table to prepare myself and Jesse for an ambush.

"Why do you ask?" I grumble, hiking up my v-neckline that dipped farther than most. "See something you like?" I know I shouldn't have said it, jealousy oozing through my pores but, I couldn't help feeling like a second option. Whether it be Jesse or Jacob, was I always going to come in last?

Jesse kisses his teeth, glaring down at me. "Don't," He grunts, taking a hold of either side of my jaw. "She doesnt even compare, sweetheart. Trust me," He mumbles, his eyes flickering down to my pouty lips. "You'd have to be blind to pick her over you." Gently, his mouth captures mine in a kiss, my hands cupping his cheeks to pull him closer. God, I liked him so much. He turns his head, working his mouth over mine before slipping his tongue in, and for just a moment, I'd forgotten where we were. I pull away, cheeks burning furiously-forehead leaning against his and before I could go in for another, someone clears their throat.

My eyes flicker up to her face, her lips tightening, arms crossing at the sight before her. I close my eyes for a moment before retracting from Jesse. "Amber Locke," I acknowledge, feeling Jesse's fingers interlace with mine. "It's been a while."

"Katherine Stratford," Amber replies scornfully as if my name were a forbidden curse that mustn't be spoken-sandpaper scraping her tongue. "It's been almost seven years now, I wasn't expecting you, is all."

I shrug nonchalantly, gesturing as if to say, here I am. "And yet somehow," I chuckle softly, "Seven years don't seem like enough, do they?"

Amber ignores me, her eyes raking over the man beside me, his hand in mine. I guess she liked what she saw. The look in her eyes was the same she gave Jacob all those years ago, I just didn't realize until right now, and yet, Jesse never took his eyes off of me. Keep looking, sweetheart, I'm the one who's under him. I almost shocked myself with that thought. I mentally shake my head, refocusing on the bride.

"Bug, who're you-" His eyes met mine, his hand placed against the small of Amber's back. He was pale, eyes rounded as if he had seen a ghost. Fuck yeah, it was, the ghost of girlfriend's past. Jesse rises to his feet, I follow suit as he offers his hand for me to take-his arm snakes around my waist, holding me flush against his side. "Ka...Kathy?" He stammers, his expression is almost dumbfounded.