049

Katherine

"I have something to tell you."

I watch him with careful eyes, studying the faintest of microexpressions. Jesse held out his silence-his lips set in a hard line. I could hear the clamoring of his employees through the thick walls of his office.

I never presumed a positive or negative reaction, but the unresponsive man in front of me was unanticipated. "Jess?" I murmur, reaching for his face-gently cupping his cheek in the palm of my hand. His eyes lock onto mine, leaning into my touch. "Say something, my love."

A low groan rumbles through Jesse's chest, and his head lolls back-his hands rising to cover the rosy blush on his cheeks. "You don't know what you do to me," He muffles into his palms, and my lips tug into a smile. "I just..." His face comes into view, concern etching his features now. "I don't want to overstep my boundaries by-"

I shake my head, leaning forward in his space. "You're not," I say reassuringly, holding onto his every word. "I want to hear what you have to say. I trust your judgment."

"The last thing I want is you getting hurt." He responds candidly, his brows pinching together in thought-my smile fading slowly. "I mean, I know how devastated you were when it came to the conversation about your mother, and as thrilled as I am for you-I don't want you to get your hopes up, you know?"

I exhale loudly, ripping my gaze away from Jesse's face as I nod in agreement. "Right," I whisper, drawing both of my lips in.

"I don't know your mother," Jesse rectifies, tucking his fingers under my chin to relevel our eyes. "And I sure as hell don't know what went down between you. I only know what you told me and as I've said before, I like to make my own opinions about a person. If that is what you desire, I'll join you and your mother for dinner."

"You will?" I say softly, his consent getting my hopes up.

Jesse takes my face in his warm palms, guiding me mere inches away from his lips. "How could I ever say no to the woman I love?" He beams, his eyes boring into mine-my heart clenching in my chest.

"Oh, Mr. Thomas," I roll my eyes, placing my hands on his chest. "Ever the sycophant." I close the space between us, gently working my mouth over his. I feel his hands slide into my blazer, coming around my back to haul me against him. I stumble-my knees falling into the crevices between his thighs and armrests of the chair. I choke out a laugh, pulling away from our kiss. "Looks like I chose the wrong day to wear slacks, huh?"

"Very much so. I may have to dress-code you after all." Jesse grumbles annoyingly, eyes cast down at my pants. "So," He starts up again, meeting my face. "When is this dinner taking place? That way, I can set up a reservation."

"You don't have to do that," I assure him, but I knew it came off as passive-aggressive. I take in the expression on his face, suddenly giving in without a word falling from his mouth. A simple look could break me. "Tonight, it's tonight."

"Right, then," Jesse smiles victoriously, reaching to grab his phone across the desk. "Table for three? Or will your brother be joining us as well?"

"Table for three." I beam, staring down at his fixated demeanor. I find my brows furrowing in thought as I readjusted myself on his lap. "Thank you for doing this with me," I say suddenly, staring down at my lap. "I mean, the fact that you're even willing to meet her...means a lot to me."

"How could I not?" Jesse draws me closer, tucking my hair behind my ear as he smiles warmly at me. "She gave me you."

I roll my eyes, playfully shoving at his chest with a bashful grin pulling my cheeks. "Okay, I'm going to head back to my office now." I rise from his lap and turn around to face him. "Text me the reservation so I can let my mother know, okay?"

"Or, I can just send a car for her," Jesse takes both of my hands in his, interlocking our fingers together as he stands tall. "Where is your mother staying again?"

"Jess-"

"Sweetheart," Jesse shakes his head in disapproval, deterring my tone of objection seeping through the first sound that fell. "I don't want you to worry that pretty little mind of yours. Let me take care of you. Please?"

I chew on my bottom lip as I mull it over, taken by his altruism. He tugs my hands close to his lips, kissing the tops of my knuckles, and my stomach flutters. I sigh, smiling at the hopeful gleam in his eyes. "Fine," I grumble defeatedly, rendering satisfied smugness to cross his features. "Thank you, Jesse. You're amazing."

Jesse's eyes search mine, dropping my hands before he leans forward to press a gentle kiss onto my forehead, his lips lingering for a moment-my eyes flutter closed at the warmth that surrounded me. "You seriously need to stop thanking me." He murmurs, drawing back to look at my face. "There isn't a single thing that I wouldn't do for you."

"Is that a fact?" I quip, ignoring the sound of my heart booming against my chest. Was it possible to fall in love with a person all over again?

"It is in my book, baby." He shrugs, pecking my cheek this time just as the piercing ring of the landline echoes in his office. He sighs, flashing me an apologetic gaze, and he steps away to answer his phone. "What?" He grunts, gripping the edges tightly.

I walk a few steps back, gripping the door knob behind me while I stared at view before me. His eyes meet mine, sending me a wink and I almost melted at the sight. "I love you." I say softly and his head snaps in my direction.

Jesse covers the mic. "I love you, too...No, not you Anthony!"

I shake my head and step out of his office.

> > > >

Please don't be mad at me!

I know this shit is taking forever to update and I know that it's my fault, I've just been so distracted with so many other things...I'm sorry, okay?

But, it's only gonna get better from here...I hope, honestly? Idek, I change my mind a lot so please bask in this breadcrumb of my story and I promise you'll get the full loaf😭🥰✌

As always,
Vote and comment!

XOXO- Angela