010

Katherine

Incessant chatter surrounded us, the clinking of utensils and wine glasses as we sat around the table. The light jazz was barely audible underneath the many voices that filled the ritzy atmosphere. It was a gorgeous view, vines wrapped around the overhead along with twinkle lights, the stars viewable from below.

"I have to admit this, Jesse," Mr. Glabello's voice pulls me back as I tune in. "When you called and said you wanted to buy my company, I thought you were a little crazy."

"Why's that?" Jesse's eyes flicker to me, making sure I was listening. 

"Well, I was just so used to your father running things, I had forgotten that you took over some time ago. If I'm being honest," He grunts, hiking down his tux. "I didn't think you could handle it. But," He continues, holding his finger up to silence Jesse's obvious protest. "Seeing you again after all this time and hearing what you have to offer, I'm deeply sorry I ever doubted you." 

"I wholeheartedly appreciate that, Mr. Glabello." Jesse takes his glass, clinking it with Mr. Glabello. "Taking over for my father wasn't always the goal but, I'm grateful he trusted me with the empire he'd been building since before I was born." 

Jeez, has Thomas Enterprises really been around for that long? I pick up my glass, staining the rim with my red lipstick as I take a sip of my wine. 

"He couldn't have picked a better man, and luckily for you," Mrs. Glabello's eyes flicker to me. "You have a beautiful woman by your side. How long have you been married?" 

Our eyes snap to each other, taking in his widened eyes and he mine. "Oh! We're not...I'm not..." I stammer, my panicked, and pleading eyes on Jesse. 

"We're not married, or together." He corrects, "She's my confidant, Teresa. My right hand....woman." He finishes, rendering a hasty nod from me. 

"Mmm," I hum in agreement, gesturing to Jesse and his statement. "What he said." 

"Ah well," Teresa exclaims, shrugging her shoulders as she throws her cloth napkin down. "Wife or not, It's still wonderful to meet you, Katherine." 

"I couldn't agree more," I breathe, a smile forming in my mouth. "So, how long have you two been together or married, I should say." 

"Well right now it seems like we've been together our whole lives," Teresa looks to her husband, smiling warmly as their eyes meet. It looked as if they never fell out of love. It tugged at my heartstrings, realizing that there was a chance I could've had that. "But if anyone is keeping track-" 

"Forty-three years." Mr. Glabello answers, placing a chaste kiss on his wife's lips. "And I fall harder every day." 

I could practically melt at the spot, fighting the urge to aww right in front of them. 

"I was just fifteen years old when I met my husband, and I knew since the first day I saw him, he was going to be mine." Teresa's eyes shift back to me, her fingers intertwined with her husband's. "What about you, mia bella? Is there somebody special in your life?" 

My eyes break away from hers, looking down at my plate of half-eaten dessert. "I uh...I thought there was," I whisper, "But, it wasn't meant to be." 

"Why?" Teresa asks, frowning suddenly at my changed demeanor. "What happened?" 

"Trust me," I sigh heavily, looking back up at her. "You don't want to hear this," I say as a matter of factly. "It's not something I'm dying to talk about." 

"Darling," Teresa starts, leaning a bit more forward, her eyes boring into mine. "If I didn't want to hear it, I wouldn't have asked." 

My eyes flicker to Jesse, noticing that his eyes were on me. Almost as if he wanted to hear it too. It was then that I noticed all eyes were on me. "Okay," I huff, taking a swig of my drink to prepare for my shit show of a story. Here we go.