033

Katherine

"So, you're the one he wouldn't shut up about?"

"Henry..." Jesse sighs, almost scolding his older brother as I drop his hand. I stifle a giggle, glancing at Jesse beside me-his cheeks redder than I've ever seen them, his head hanging low. It seemed as if his whole family was out to get him.

Henry was tall as well, with broad shoulders, a wide chest. Bright blue eyes-hooded, and a killer smile. Dark hair sat effortlessly at the top of his head, a full beard to match.

"What?" Henry raises his hands in defense, grinning cheesily at his younger brother. "Oh, lighten up, Jess. Katherine knows I'm kidding." Henry beams, sending me a wink. "No, but, seriously. It was constant. Complaining and nagging, going on and on about-"

"Okay, babe," A woman calls out, waddling in-cradling a full belly as a couple of kids ran past her, chasing a dog down into the living room. "I think that's enough teasing for the day." She scolds him, his arm coming around her shoulder. Her eyes flicker over to me, flashing me a bright smile. "You must be Katherine?"

I nod, offering my hand for her to shake but instead, I'm yanked into a small hug, careful not to crush her pregnant belly. "It's nice to meet you," I groan, her clutch rocking me side to side.

"Welcome to the family. I'm Veronica!" She gushes before letting me go, her hands grasping my shoulders. "But, you can call me Ronnie. That right there," She gestures to the little girl sitting on the tile beside what looked like a golden retriever and a younger boy. "Is Isabella, my four-year-old, and her brother Niklaus, he's almost three." She drops her hands, placing both of them over her belly, caressing softly. "This little one, due any day now-Asa. Works for a boy or a girl."

"It's beautiful," I say softly, smiling at the happy couple. "How long have you two been married?"

Henry blows out a breath, glancing down at the whiskey in his glass-Jesse snakes his arm around my waist, hurling me a tad closer to him. I shake my head at him, shifting my attention back on the couple. Veronica narrows her eyes in thought, it must have been a while if she had to think about it.

"It seems like forever ago when we got married," Ronnie begins, looking to her husband for confirmation. "What...? Eight years now?" She whispers and he nods.

"Yeah, that seems about right. Ronnie and I met in college- I was twenty-three, she was twenty. We've been together ever since and decided to tie the knot." Henry looks over his wife, gently pulling her in to press a kiss against her temple. "I've only loved one woman, and that's my Ronnie."

"Aww, babe!" Veronica crows, her eyes glistening over. I almost awed as well but, I refrained. "I told you not to make me cry, baby hormones are on overdrive!" She frets, wiping at the newly formed tears.

"Sorry, honey." He smiles sheepishly, rubbing her shoulder. "So, when you decide to officially ask her out, Jess?"

Jesse and I lock eyes, both of us knowing damn well what led to us starting a relationship. He wouldn't tell his brother what actually happened, right? His cheeks tint slightly, mine heating up at the memories of Italy. Looking back, I'm so glad it happened. "We're heading into four months now," I begin, tearing my attention away from Jesse. "Had I known how he felt about me early on, I'd of dated him a long time ago."

Henry's brows raise in surprise, his eyes flickering over to his brother. "And you said she hated you."

I chuckle, leaning closer to Jesse. "Oh, trust me," I mumble. "It was rough going there for a second..." I shrug, looking down at my glass of pinot noir. "He got under my skin and sometimes I felt like tearing my hair out with his up and down attitude but, I don't know...he's charming, makes me laugh," I glance at him, his eyes already on me. "He's patient, kind, and gives me the space I need. He's persistent but, never tries to push me past my limits. He's respectful...and that's more than I can say about certain people."