059

Jesse

I watch her closely, carefully—deliberately. 

I hadn't the slightest clue what she was feeling, nor could I imagine how hard it must have been—to sit there in a hospital wing and wait for news on your loved one, especially a parent. 

Her eyes are glued to the porthole, letting the fact that we were flying over Connecticut distract her. It was going to be a brief flight, an hour or two before we landed in Massachusetts. From there, it was just a drive down to Cape Cod. My family owned a summer home over there, which hadn't been used since my siblings and I were teenagers. One phone call to my parents and the house was set. 

Though, I was starting to regret even asking her on this trip in the first place. I knew she just agreed to make me happy, just as she had when I asked her to move in with me, and a big part of me wanted her to stop. I didn't want her to say yes to my benefit. I wanted honesty for herself and me. 

"Can I ask you something?" I find myself talking before the chance to think it through. 

Katherine's eyes meet mine in a sweep—turning her attention and body toward me. I sat in front of her, and the only thing keeping us apart was the small table between us. She hums in response, eyebrows raising with curiosity. 

"You'd tell me if something was bothering you, right?" I ask, cautiously treading with my words. She doesn't reply, her green eyes flickering to the surface of the table and then to me. "I like to think that we've gotten far enough into our relationship that you'd let me know when something's not right or if I'm doing something wrong. The same goes for me."

"I..."

"I hope to God you tell me when I'm wrong because the last thing I want to do is hurt you." 

Her eyes soften, and a heavy exhale makes her shoulders drop from the tensity. "You could never," She says softly, her arm reaching across the table to offer me her open palm. I take it, wrapping my fingers around her hand. "You're not in the wrong, Jess. My birthday is always going to be hard for me. Plain and simple. But, being with you? It makes it that much more tolerable." 

My worry settles with the soft smile she gives me, her words quieting the negative voice in the back of my mind. As long as she was okay, so was I. "I meant what I said about turning around." I lean over the table, grabbing both of her hands. "Say the word, and we'll go back home." 

"And I meant what I said," She says firmly. "I want to see this through. Besides," Katherine leans in slowly, our faces just inches apart. "You still haven't told me where we're going." 

I smirk slowly, taking her chin between my fingers—the pad of my thumb grazing her soft bottom lip. "It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you, would it?" 

Katherine's smile drops, the lightest frown crowding her eyebrows as she jerks her chin away from my grasp—sitting back in her seat. "No," She crosses her arms, returning her gaze to the porthole. "I guess it wouldn't." 

"All in good time, my love," I say, somewhat amused with her changed demeanor. "We're halfway there." 

"Yeah, whatever." 

My smile only grows as I lean back into my seat, admiring the sight of her in front of me. 

It was still early, the sunrise peaking under the clouds. Katherine wasn't a morning person, and I learned that quickly—flashbacks of her chucking a pillow at me when I woke her up one morning. And judging by her grumpy attitude, it was still too early. 

She was quiet—drifting off for the rest of the flight to get some more hours in. I didn't bother to wake her until the bags were in the car for the drive through Massachusettes. 

"Are you hungry?" I ask her, glancing at the side of her face before turning back to the road. "We could stop anywhere you'd like."

Katherine didn't answer me, and from my peripheral, I could see that our surroundings piqued her interest. "Jess?" Her head turns to me. "Where are we?"

"Boston," I answer truthfully, meeting her curious gaze as the car approaches a red light. "We're an hour from where we need to be."

"Boston?" She repeats, and I answer her with a nod. Her hum graces my ears as she leans back into her seat, a small smile tugging her lips. 

"What?" I muse, the light above going from red to green. 

"I'm thinking," She says firmly, going to touch her chin—eyes narrowed in thought.

"About what?" I say, chuckling at her gentle determination.

"All the places that are an hour away," Katherine chirps, a smile returning to her face. "That could be anywhere. And you're not going to tell me until we get there, right?" 

As we roll past the city, I pull my attention away from her, a smirk on my lips. "That is correct." 

She sighs heavily beside me, visibly slumping against the passenger seat. "Fine." She grumbles in defeat, turning her head toward me in my peripheral. "I could eat." 

>>>>>>>>

I know this one's short but, I promise you, the next chapter is going to be extra long and extra spicy for you guys! Thank you for your dedication and patience. - Angela xoxo