040

Dylan

"I didn't want her to go."

I stare at my mother, brows furrowed in thought as I watch her shed tears of guilt. The party had ended an hour ago, and I agreed to help clean up so neither of us would have to in the morning. I toss the stack of empty solo cups into the trash bag, making my way towards her. "Mom..." I breathe, earning a shake of her head as a response.

"No, just let me say this," She sobs, eyes bloodshot and glassy. She was drunk but, I knew she'd never say anything while sober. "I should have never made your sister go through with it. I didn't want her to marry that sorry excuse for a man. Not even your father wanted her to. I didn't mean a single thing I said to her that night." Olivia takes a random bottle from the counter, taking a swig of whatever was left-mascara staining the face she gave to my sister.

"I put so much on her, and she didn't deserve anything I threw her way. Kat was just a kid-you kids lost Landon when you needed him most, and I completely shut my children out because I didn't know how to grieve. I took my pain out on my daughter, and that wasn't fair to her."

"Mom," I say firmly, reaching for the neck of the bottle to take it from her grasp. "Why are you telling me this?"

My mother's eyes meet mine, drawing in her bottom lip to chew on it-contemplating what to tell me.

"The one who deserves to hear this is Katherine. The least you could do is give her a call and tell her how you feel." I rip the empty bottle from her tight grip, and I toss it into the trash bag. "You could apologize and let her know you didn't mean a damn thing."

"I...I can't take back what I said." Mom whispers, lowering her head in shame. "I lost her the minute I blamed her for Jacob."

"You didn't lose her, mom," I say softly, taking hold of her upper arms to get her to look at me. "All that Katherine has been wanting is an explanation, an apology. A reason as to why you weren't there for her."

"It's been seven years, Dylan." She replies, sniffling loudly. "There is nothing I could say to her that will make it better."

"All the more reason to give her a call," I say, reaching for my phone in my back pocket to pull up Katherine's contact. I turn over my phone into my mom's palm. "Why don't you fly back to New York with me?"

Katherine

"...And then, Stratford ran in front of it, like some kind of idiot!"

I choke out a laugh, tears brimming my waterline as I stare at the screen of my TV. Watching with a widened smile as my dad's best friend continued to tell the story of how Landon ran in front of a moving car.

"Do you want to put the candles on the cake, or should I?" Jennifer's voice chimed in. I reach for my cell on the coffee table, pausing the screen-share to glance over my shoulder. Just as I was about to answer, the doorbell rings-Jen sets the box of candles down, muttering about how she'll get it.

My eyes follow her figure to the front door, turning my body to see who was at the front door. I didn't want to get it since I'd been crying, and I didn't need a stranger to see me like this. Her fingers twist the nib before turning the knob to pull the door open, revealing my boyfriend.

I scramble up to my feet, Jennifer's head moving in my direction as I join her side. "Hey," I mumble, wiping my tear-stained cheeks with my sleeve.

"Hey, sweetheart," Jesse smiles warmly, carrying a paper box in his grasp. "I come bearing gifts." He says, gesturing to the item in his hands.

"I'm gonna put the candles on the cake, okay?" Jen whispers beside my ear, patting my shoulder gently. "I'll give you guys some privacy." She steps away, trailing into the kitchen, and I shift my focus back to the man on my front porch.

I step aside, gesturing Jesse to come inside, and he does. "I know you said you wanted to be alone," He starts, and I close the door behind him. "But, I couldn't just leave you like that." The day had come to an end, the city lights flickering on-one by one, reminding me of the way my dad used to describe it. I had wanted to save his cake for last. Jesse offers me the paper box, beckoning me to take a peek.

"What is it?" I asked lowly, lifting the tab just a smidge before I meet his eyes. "Cake?"

"I know how bummed you were that you couldn't spend your father's birthday at his favorite place. So," Jesse says, noting what I had said to him last night. He sure had one hell of a memory. Jesse slowly lifts the tab, revealing an array of soft pretzels and corn dogs. "I thought I'd bring it to you."

I step closer, my heart swelling from the kind gesture. "You didn't have to," I murmur, my eyes flickering to his. 'How'd you even get these?"

"The rides are closed," Jesse replies, a soft expression crossing his features as he stares down at me. "Not the concessions, besides," He says, shrugging his shoulders. "I wanted to. Anyway, I should get going." Jesse hikes down his jacket as I take the box from his hands, setting it on the console table beside us. "I just wanted to bring those-"

I close the space between us, cutting him short with my lips once I go in for a kiss. My arms come up around his neck, on my tip-toes to reach his level-warm tears falling down my cheeks. I loved him, god, I loved him. And if that made me a fucking idiot, then so be it. "That is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me," I sniffle, drawing away from his mouth for a moment before going for another kiss.

It was strange, unexpected-how quickly I fell in love with Jesse. All I've ever known is heartbreak for the past seven years, and in four months he had swept me off my feet. How was it possible that in the shortest amount of time, he had my entire heart in the palm of his hand? It had taken more that four months to even agree to a date with Jacob, and with Jesse? It was just so easy to let myself release control. I wanted him to have everything I could give.

"I hope," Jesse pipes up, leaning back to grab my face in his hands. "I hope I'm the last person who kisses you like that."

I let out a breathy laugh, pecking his mouth one last time. "I hope the same. Do you...do you want to stay?" I glance over my shoulder, watching Jen place each candle so meticulously.

"A...are you sure? I don't, I mean..."

"I'd like you to stay."