061

Jesse

"What do you mean you can't deliver it today?!" 

The dull hammering against my cranium walls was starting to cause me aggravation. How hard was it to deliver a cake? 

"Sir, it is short notice. I mean, we're happy to fulfill your order for tomorrow." 

I could hear the distress behind the employee's professionalism. I knew I was causing it, and I needed to calm down. It wasn't her fault that I was terrible with timing.

 "Look," I sigh heavily, my eyes shifting to look through the double doors—Katherine's figure coming into view. I had left her at the beach for a moment to order the cake. And right now? It seemed like the impossible. "I can't wait until tomorrow. Her birthday is today, and I want it to be perfect."

"I understand that sir," The baker replies, sounding somewhat sympathetic and annoyed. "But as I told you before, it is short notice to change locations. Perhaps if you picked it up yourself—"

"I can do that!" I say too excitedly, earning an awkward laugh from the other end of the call. "Sorry, yes, I'll pick it up." 

"The order is still for Thomas, Jesse, correct?" 

"Yes," I exhale with relief, going to stand from the dining room chair. "Thank you." And I hang up the call, making my way down the beach. 

I reach my girlfriend, kneeling beside her on the deckchair. I can hear the soft guitar strumming through her headphones, her lips syncing to the lyrics. I sit back for just a second, adoring the candid sight of her. It was almost a glimpse of her without the walls or barriers that I knew she kept up around me. That wasn't her fault, and it never would be.

I gently place my hand on her arm, and her eyes flicker open. 

"Oh, hey," A nervous smile appears on her lips as she removes the headphones, her eyes shifting to mine. "Were you there for long?" 

I shake my head, shifting my position to rise on my feet. "No," I say with a grin. "I have to make a quick trip to the store since the delivery man forgot some things. I wanted to know if you needed anything while I'm gone." 

Katherine sits up, glancing at her phone to pause the music before looking back at me. "You're leaving?" 

"I won't be gone long," I say, trying to reassure her with my tone. "It's only a few things, baby. I promise." 

Her shoulders visibly dropped as if my promise meant more to her than she wanted to admit. She nods, then puckers her lips for me to kiss. I didn't need any more confirmation. I bend down, meeting her soft lips for a peck. 

"Drive safe, okay?" She mumbles against my mouth, earning a chuckle from me. 

"Always," I reply, kissing her one last time before I head back inside the house. I grab my keys with haste as I race out the front door. I slip into my car and drive to the local bakery. 

It took longer than I thought to reach the bakery—the traffic backed up from corner to corner. For a beach town, it was exceedingly packed with people. My fingers tap against the wheel, my eyes trained on the streetlights, waiting as they go from yellow to red. 

"Come on!" I exclaim, growing impatient with the ill-timed lights. I could see the shop from the corner of my eye. It was taking everything in me not to run the red. But, if I do, I'd be breaking my promise to drive safely. Finally, as if the universe read my mind—the light turned green. 

I went over the list of things I had to do while turning the corner, and my thoughts were packed with all things...Katherine. Despite her saying she didn't want any presents, I wasn't planning on listening. Even if she had told me many times before we arrived, I didn't have it in my person to do it.