029

"Mom?"

My stomach flipped, my eyes rounding at the word that fell from Jesse's mouth. Shit. She was so elegant, arrayed in a creme, tweed pantsuit. Pearls daintily sitting on her collar bone, earrings to match. Light brown hair fading into a soft gray, pinned into finger curls against her head. Everything about her screamed old money, even the obvious fragrance of Chanel whirling around us.

"Jesse," She began, holding her tan Birkin against her chest. "Who is this woman before me?" I was so fucking glad I had clothes on.

"Ma, this is-"

"Nah-uh," She interrupts, holding up her finger to silence her son. "I don't want you to tell me. I want the lady to introduce herself."

I exchange looks with Jesse, swallowing hard before I turn back to his mother. I take a step forward, outstretching my palm for her to shake. "It's wonderful to finally meet you, Mrs. Thomas," I assure her, smiling softly. "I'm Katherine."

Jesse's mother cocks a brow at me, looking to her son before meeting my eyes once again. Her hand slips into mine, gripping gently before giving it a shake. "And who are you to my son?"

"I'm-"

"This is my girlfriend, ma. " Jesse responds quickly, cutting me short, stepping close to stand beside me, his arm wrapping around my shoulder. I awkwardly smiled and before I knew it, I was being lugged into her arms.

"Oh, thank god!" She rejoices, pulling a nervous chuckle from me as I pat her back. "You have no idea I've wanted Jess to find himself a girlfriend, I've prayed every night."

"Mom..." He groans almost as if he were scolding her. I pull away slowly, my cheeks blushing, footsteps backtracking just a smidge. "Don't embarrass me," he pleads, expression pained. It was quite amusing to watch, I'd never seen him so...child-like.

"My name is Eleanor but, you can call me Nell or mom," She sends me a wink, taking a hold of my hands as she looks at Jesse. "When were you planning on cluing me in?" Eleanor frets, shaking her head at both of us. "How long have you been seeing each other?"

"Why are you here, mom?" Jesse interrupts once again, running his fingers through his hair. "-And why the hell did you just walk in? A knock would've been nice."

Eleanor sends Jesse a glare, letting go of my hands to walk up to her son. "Just because I'm old, it doesn't give you a right to speak to me like that."

Jesse hangs his head in shame, nodding slowly at his mother. "Sorry, ma," He grumbles, crossing his arms over his chest. I look between them, my eyes rounding at the view before me. 

"Now," Eleanor's smile reappears, her eyes landing back on me. "You and I have lots to discuss. I would love to take you shopping sometime or, you can come over and I'll be happy to show you every photo album Jesse is in. He had the cutest butt-"

"Mom!" Jesse presses, his cheeks turning a slight shade of pink. "Anything but that, please."

"Fine," She sighs in defeat before her face lights up again. "Oh, I have a great idea!" Eleanor exclaims, looking at Jesse. "Why don't you bring her over for dinner tomorrow night?"

"Uh-"

"Oh don't be such a sour puss," Nell readjusts her bag in her grasp. "Henry is flying in with the kids and Caleb is coming too. I'd love for everyone to meet her."

"Mom, I don't know if Katherine appreciates the Thomas family ambush, I mean..." Jesse glances over at me, noticing the twiddling of my thumbs. A tell of mine. "She just met you,"

Nell follows his line of vision, pressing her lips together firmly. "You're right, I'm sorry to ask that of you, sugar."

I wave my hands in dismissal, smiling reassuringly. "Oh no, I'm perfectly fine. I'd love to, Nell...honest."

She grins widely, eyes wrinkling from her smile. "It's settled then?" I nod in agreement, wanting nothing more than to please her. "I've got to start prepping now, I'll see you both tomorrow at eight." And with that, she pecks both of our cheeks and makes her way out the door.

Jesse sighs heavily, rubbing the fatigue from his eyes before turning to look at me—an apologetic gaze in his eyes. "I'm so sorry about her, sweetheart," He takes my hands in his, interlacing our fingers. "She means well."

I shake my head, smiling softly at his worried features. "Don't worry about it," I mumble, taking my thumb to soften out the worry lines on his forehead. His frown dissipates. "I like her, she's sweet."

"Listen," He begins, leaning into my touch—my hand cupping his jaw. "We don't have to go to that mini reunion tomorrow night," Jesse promises. "I know family can be overwhelming, I just don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

"I appreciate the concern, but I'll be okay," I mention, my hand falling to his bare shoulder. "I'd love nothing more than to meet your family."

Jesse slowly smiles, leaning forward to place a chaste kiss on my cheek. "I'm glad but, just so you know," He warns, smile thinning out. "We have to fly there because there is no way in hell I'm driving six hours. I can't be that long in a car."

"Where exactly do your parents live?" I mumble, tilting my head to the left.

"Great Falls, Virginia."

I sigh, brushing my hair back with my fingers, my thumb falling beside my mouth—beginning to chew on my nail.

Jesse frowns softly, wrapping his fingers around my wrist to pull my nail from my mouth. "What is it?"

I glance up at him, worry crossing my features. "What am I gonna wear?"

He laughs heartily, shaking his head at my concern. "I'm sure you'd look beautiful in anything."

"Oh, that's good. I heard garbage cans are in season," I quip, putting my hands on my hips. "I'll make sure to hit up the dump while I'm at it."

"As I said," He begins, pecking the back of my hand. "You have nothing to worry about. Just wear whatever you want."