Confrontations And The Alpha

"Okay. Now, put this on." Stiles said as the three of us reached the empty lacrosse field.

"Isn't this one of the heart rate monitors for the track team?" Scott asked us.

"Yeah, I borrowed it." I shrugged.

"Stole it." Scott pointedly replied.

"Temporarily misappropriated!" Stiles defensively told him before he continued. "Coach uses it to monitor his heart rate with his phone while he jogs, and you're gonna wear it for the rest of the day."

"Isn't that Coach's phone?" Scott warily asks looking at the phone in my hand.

I nodded. "That I did steal."

"Why?" Scott looked between the two of us.

"All right, well, your heart rate goes up when you go wolf, right? When you're playing lacrosse, when you're with Allison, whenever you get angry... Maybe learning to control it is tied to learning to control your heart rate." Stiles told him the theory we had discussed.

"Like The Incredible Hulk?" He asked.

"Kind of like The Incredible Hulk, yeah." Stiles shrugged.

Scott smiled as he talked. "No, I'm like The Incredible Hulk!"

"Would you shut up and put the strap on?" Stiles replied annoyed.

He put it on, and Scott duct taped his hands behind his back, making me smile to myself. Before Scott looked over his shoulder, "This isn't exactly how I wanted to spend my free period."

"All right. You ready?" Stiles asked as he grabbed the lacrosse stick and the bag before grabbing my hand and pulling me with him as he backed up.

"No." He said making me laugh.

"Remember-- don't get angry." Stiles dropped my bag and pressed the heart rate tracker.

"I'm starting to think this was a really bad idea." Scott stared at us.

I watched Stiles scope up a ball and fling it a Scott making him groan. Stiles laughed to himself as he scooped up a second ball.

I watched Scott take one in the chest. "Oh, man. Okay, that one kind of hurt."

"Quiet. Remember, you're supposed to be thinking about your heart rate, all right? About staying calm." Stiles interjected.

"Stay calm. Staying calm. Staying totally calm. There's no balls flying at my face." He groaned as another ball hit him in the chest.

Stiles launched another one hitting Scott in his balls. "AHHH! Son of a bitch!"

"You know what? I think my aim is actually improving." I couldn't stop the laugh that tumbled out of me at Stiles's comment.

"Wonder why." Scott snapped.

Stiles mockingly scolded him. "Don't get angry."

"I'm not getting angry." Scott replied clearly frustrated before Stiles began hitting him again.

"Stop. Just-- can we just hold--" Scott tried but was cut off by another hit to the balls.

He dropped to his knees groaning.

"Oh shit." I muttered as I looked at coach's phone Scott's heart rate spiking.

Stiles knelt down looking at the phone before he looked back up at Scott. "Scott?"

He broke out of the duct tape making me look at Stiles. "You better be ready to run." I told him.

Before Scott's heart rate started to drop. We walked over towards him Stiles leaning down putting his hand on Scott's shoulder. "Scott, you started to change."