Luisa x Mermaid! Reader

Me and Luisa had known eachother since we were both little. She happened across me when we both were about 5.

"Hello!" I jumped and looked at her "hi" I was shy and hid slightly under the bridge "are you ok?" She took a step closer "yes I'm ok." I was quiet "are you sure?" I nodded "ok. Wanna be friends?" I looked back at my tail and when I looked forward again she was practically up against me "I dont know." She smiled "I can keep your secret. No one would believe me anyway." I came out into the sun a little "you know I'm-" she smiled "a fish?" I giggled "im not a fish. Im a mermaid. They may seem like the same thing but they aren't."

I smiled as I thought about that day. She tried her hardest to convince everyone I was real after that, but naturally no one believed her. Now that we were older she always apologized for it and I'd just laugh. She just turned 19 today and I had to surprise her at her party tonight.

"Hey Mirabel." I waved at her "hey Y/n." I could change my tail into legs whenever I wanted and whenever I needed to go somewhere "you coming to Luisas party tonight?" I nodded "wouldn't miss it for the world." She smiled "good. Shes expecting you there anyway." I always felt bad for Mirabel. She didn't have a gift and often tried a little to hard to please her grandmother.

"If you're headed to buy her something she said she doesn't want anything. I'm going to make her something like a skirt though." I knew exactly what Luisa wanted. "Its ok I'll figure something out for her." She nodded then went on her way while I headed back to the bridge to collect some things I needed, but when I got there Luisa stood by the water leaning with her back against the bridge "hello Luisa." I walked over and wrapped my arms around her "hello Y/n." She was just in the shadow of the bridge "how have you been today?" I huffed "good I just-" Luisas name was called interultimg out conversation.

"There you are Luisa. Can you rerout the river?" I had to be nice. "Si señor." She gave me a sad, tired, and sorry look all in one. She knew I hated it when the river was rerouted. "Why do they always have to have you rerout the river?" I waited until he left to say anything "I dont know. I hate doing it to you because I know how much it messes everything up for you." I sighed "its whatever. I've gotten used to it over the years." She sighed "but its not whatever Y/n. That'd be like having Casita wrecked by the townsfolk then saying thank you in a bitter tone."

I knew about everything that went on in the family from Luisas gift faltering at times to what everyone told Luisa when they came to her because they needed to vent. Luisa was also quite the sneak when she wanted to be. She could tell a person alot or even blackmail someone with how much she knew from always sneaking around to hang out with me.

"You better get the river rerouted. You have a long night ahead of you." She nodded then did what was asked. This was her last thing to do for the day then she could go home and help there. It may sound crazy, but I've thought about asking Luisa if I could move into her room since it has a beach side venue, but I also felt like that was overstepping boundaries. I mean her tio was already living in the walls undetected other then Dolores and im sure I could pull off staying in Luisas room too. Her family wouldn't even notice I was there anyway. They never notice Bruno sneaking around.

"You'll be there tonight right?" I chuckled "si Luisa I will. How many times have I missed your birthday?" She smirked "once." I huffed "I technically didn't miss it. I was just late." She laughed "by a day." I rolled my eyes "I showed up at midnight. Thats not by a day thats by an hour." She chuckled "see you Y/n." She waved at me "see you Luisa."

Time to work on that birthday gift of hers. I wouldn't give it to her infront of anyone, but I know she'll still like it.

"Psst Luisa, hey." She looked at me from where I stood in a shaded corner of the house just watching everything "you ok?" I nodded "yeah I just wanted to give this to you away from others." I handed her a decent sized bag filled with little surprises for her "whats in it?" It wasn't anything bad, but no one else in Encanto knew about her love and obsession over stuffed animals and I knew as of now she wanted to keep it that way. "Can I open it now or does it have to wait?" I shrugged "its up to you. Its your gift after all and-" a young gentleman came over and cut between me and her not realizing I was here and nearly knocked me over.