I've been found...

A strong claw gripped my shoulder just as the warmth felt almost unbearable and the tip of my human foot touched the flames and pulled me away.

Flap.

Flap.

Flap.

For a moment, I did not feel anything. Then searing hot pain spiked through my body and I restrained my yell. My entire body felt like it was on fire.

If I'm dying right now, I'm not giving them the satisfaction of hearing me suffer.

My saviour dropped me in a heap on the ground and flew off. Everything was blurry. My bones shifted and muscles bulged, as I took the form of my dragon self. The tugging at the back of my mind told me to let go, to lie there forever. Roaring and fire breath faded into white noise, and I let the blackness cloud my eyes. The world was light, then the light was the world, and then there was nothing at all.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

Air?

I was curled in a spiky ball of scales.

"We gotta fly soon... he can't hold on much longer... wake up! Up, I say!"

Claws were poking at my side, finding the places which hurt the most. Or my nose.

How was I supposed to do that, exactly? Wake up? I was pretty focused on breathing. Still, I tried.

One breath. Another. Yet another one. My lungs filled itself gratefully, giving itself as much time to expand as possible.

I opened my eyes.

A large figure was flying in circles around me, throwing me into the dark shadow. Then I noticed the pain, like tiny claws gripping at my belly, but that was the least of my worries.

A Solarflare was leaning over me. But... something in his eyes were different. They were full of kindness the other solarflares did not have. blue eyes. Somehow. The dragon dipped down and yanked at my tail, "COME ON, DO YOU WANT TO DIE OR NOT?"

"I... can't."

"What do you mean? HECK, PUSH YOURSELF. DON'T ACT LIKE A DEAD FISH."

"Ugh. Fine."

"By the way, I'm Ash."

I wobbled to my feet and leaped into the air. The mountain below me shrank, the trees swaying, like it was waving me goodbye and wished me luck. Just then, we heard a resounding roar of triumph from the dragons below. Horrified, I glanced down towards the corpse left on the mushy, reddish brown dirt as red- gold dragons soared away. His cold dead eyes glinted in the bright sunlight, his bloody body leaving a pool of water. Piles of bones and ashes were also littered around the battlefield. As we shot off, I saw the Solarflare bow his head, fly in a circle around the body and join my side. My heart ached for the dead dragon, who saved my life.

"Coral." I muttered.

Ash cocked his head. "Your name?"

I nodded.

As we flew across lakes, mountains, more lakes and mountains, I felt the warmth of Ash's wings burning get far too close...

Ash let out a piercing roar and turned backwards wildly, arching his back at the perusing Solarflares. "GO!" He yelled. "To the mountain over there!" Then, as one caught hold of his horns, rage smoke from his burning wings blocked my sight of the fight as I fled towards the mountain, but soon enough, I saw the tell-tale sign of a Solarflare that fell towards the ocean, his wings extinguished.