Boiling Fire

(Fifteen years ago)

Flame grabbed the orange staff and walked out to the bowling Solarflares. Their heads were down in respect, eyes facing the ground. Time to talk to his subjects.

He impatiently tapped the magma floor below him with my staff, and the peasants, the army, looked up at him. The head general spoke, in a nervous, scared voice,"Orders, sir?"

"War." Flame barked, glaring at him. "We're getting rid of the Hydroblasts. They're getting more and more powerful by the day."

"Sir... So many dragons will be killed by that!" One Solarflare protested.

"No. We can defeat the earth with a solarflare from the sun! Use your logic, guys!" Flame cried. "I'm sick of being outclassed. Are you guys not?"

From the looks on their snouts, he could tell that he won the argument. Their noses were pointed down to the ground, and the general sighed, "Yes, sir."

————————————————————————————————————————————

[15 years later]

A tongue of flame. A flash of fire. My life had hurtled to this point from where.. where my parents left me forever...

I honestly didn't remember much about my life before that fatal day, and never would. I wrapped my arms around my legs, wishing that there was something that I could lean against.

Why was I alone in this world? What am I supposed to do? And must I be-

Thundering overhead broke my train of thought. The fiery dragons were on the move again. I sighed in relief. I could make my move soon. I had such the intense craving for meat...

The grass rustled above me, sagging under the weight of the dragons trampling over it. I pointed my finger at the grass and it steadied with a wall of water. The clear liquid splashed over me, wet the ground and I held my breath, hoping that no one heard.

"MOVE! We've a report of the other species!"

I rolled my eyes. Why not call us 'the pieces of poop that are gonna so be gone in a matter of 10 seconds after the report is given' while they are at it?

Rustling. The dragons paused.

"I heard that!" Snapped one, and my heart dropped.

"Come on." Yelled another. "Listen to the dragon!"

"I believe, that you are doing well in the Earthbound territory. The humans are fleeing and we wiped out half of Eu-"

"Now, I don't care about humans, what about the Hydroblasts? The Hydroblasts!" Someone roared in fury.

"The Hydroblasts... they have been mostly killed by us, but I know that many have escaped into the mist!"

"Are you trying to get us to die? No dragon ever survived through the mist, you idiot! Give me something real, or I'll kill you!"

"Okay. Okay. I know for a fact a dragon is around here! A water dragon, hiding under your radar!" A quiet voice answered, the panic in his or her voice sounded carefully measured, none of it overdone.

"THATS YOU, AIN'T IT?" I pictured the scene of the group of fire dragons, battle scared, blood splatted, surrounding the poor reporter, probably about to kill him, their claws thirsty for blood.

"No! Wait! I sense a Hydroblast somewhere here... PLEASE!" Now the voice had real, actual panic, and I heard the scrabbling of claws.

Slashing and roaring. The screaming stopped. A thump above echoed in my ears, and my inner dragon trembled, pushing slightly at my thoughts which were forcefully keeping it down.

"Now we're done with that..." The voice above called, full of impatience. "We search."

My anger boiled like steaming water above warm magma.

Why can't the world be peaceful? What had the Hydroblasts done to deserve this?

The fire dragons, or Solarflares, or as the others always said, the 'fires of the sun on earth' were savage.

Solarflares had hated the other dragons from the beginning of time, the Skyclouds, Earthbound, and Hydroblasts.

They wanted the earth for theirs and their's only. It was threatening the balance of the elemental powers as they began taking over, and the Water dragon tried standing up against them, but it just failed miserably. They were forced to flee to the mist, and the Solarflares assumed that they would never return.

Fire dragon were suspiciously good at restraining Hydroblasts and killing them. The Hydroblasts were able to kill the Solarflares with a powerful tide of water.

Too bad water dragons needed a lot of recharging time to attack once more.

Solarflares mostly killed Hydroblasts by tying the snouts with flaming hot wire so the water ball ability would be disabled for a moment and this bought them some time to attack. They had to be careful about that too, as the Hydroblast veins were full of water instead of blood.

If they wanted to not be disintegrated into ash, they have to be careful.

A sudden thought flashed in my mind. Or more like a memory.

The charred bodies on the ground, ever burning fires flaring from the dirt which was caked in ash and dust.

My consciousness faltered, and the grass fell. My protection was gone. Before the Solarflares noticed me, I leapt from the hole in the ground and began running, pushing out small water bursts as I darted towards a patch of trees, but a sharp claw seized me from behind. Fighting? It was like a fly that struggled valiantly on a spider web. I tried dragging the water to the corner of my mind and pushing it out, but I only managed to cause random bright flashes as my concentration failed me. I got thrown towards the boiling hot fire burning in the earth. "I'm going to enjoy this." Hissed the fire dragon. "Finally get that scum off the earth."

Yeah, buddy, you're right. I was the last water dragon.