The time of the year

Winter prodded Marsh's tail with a stick, trying to get him to move the island. Marsh grunted and rolled onto his back. Then he almost had his eyes poked.

"Whaaaat. I'm mourning. Leave me alone."

Winter continued to poke him, demanding that Marsh told him what he had said in that 'gibberish human language'. Marsh just swiped his tail at Winter who left him alone. With an impending wave.

"I dunno, it IS the time of the year anyway. It's been a decade and a half now, come on." Winter nudged him under the wing.

As Marsh looked through the small gap that showed the tiny chunk of the world, he thought that Coral... really could be right after all. They had placed the last Hydroblasts in possibly more danger than they already were in.

(Wrap this up mate, I want Coral to have a flashback of what happened the day her parents got oofed.)

(Oops I left an authors note)

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

[Coral's POV]

The current gently pushed a small group of shrimp into a cluster of seaweed before a large multicoloured lobster, which snapped at the largest one, grabbed it. It scuttled towards a large piece of coral and pushed it aside. It hesitated a moment too long before heading into its hidey-hole, which gave me some time. I lunged towards the lobster and my claws snagged on its shell. The lobster tried to escape in a panic and I wanted to end its suffering, and quick.

I sliced my talons across the lobster's back and it struggled, its feelers flailing desperately before it slumped and stopped moving, blood billowed in the water, and a terrified looking octopus slowly inched away, its tentacles wrapped around a bright blueish- green sea cucumber.

Mmm. Dinner.

Ignoring the fishes who fled before my eyes into holes in the seabeds, sea anemone, or just another clump of seaweed or kelp, I fused my wings and left the water, the blasts of wind blowing me off course immediately, playing with me.

My wings were buffered around by the howling wind, throwing me off course. I desperately flapped my wings, trying to get back on track. Seriously, the moment I start flying I'm thrown around like a baked potato in the wind.

I was pretty sure that although that mountain was in sight for at least ten minutes, I was still struggling against the strong and powerful winds and barely made any progress towards the oversized hill.

I hate rain. Don't care about others saying I should REVERE the rain or something, they can dive into a boiling pot of tar.

Maybe if I think about rainbows and butterflies, the freaking clouds will cooperate.

Nope.

I dragged myself slowly towards a small nook in the large wall of rock, slow like glue till I was through, relieving myself from the horrid rain. I dropped the dead lobster on the cave rock and watched the rain cascade down from the sky, and the wild, uncontrollable wind blew through the entrance. Today was extra gloomy

Today marked the day when the war had started.

I crawled over the roots, looked around the boring bare stone walls. I snorted and nibbled on a small patch of grass. The smooth grass blades slipped between my teeth with soft crunches which echoed around in the silence. I felt lonely.

Maybe I'll go see what Mom and Dad are up to, I thought. I wobbled to my feet and took some steps to the outside. Just as I neared the exit, I paused. Mom and Dad told me not to go out alone! But who am I not to break the rules? I'll go! What's the worst that could happen?

I sniffed curiously at the ground and winced. I smelt blood. I bravely took another step and immediately stepped onto a twig. It let out a screech and in a flurry of movement, small stick like animals came out of the ground and ran off into the trees. I squeaked and fell over, tumbling down the hill where we were situated and bumped against something mushy. And hard. I giggled and stood up on my hind legs, thinking that it was my mother. I poked her back excitedly.

"Mom! I saw something SO COOL!"

No response.

"Mom?" I asked softly, pushing her wings.

Then all, all of it, collapsed into ash on the earth. I gasped. Was this a joke, or was this real?

l turned to dad. I gently nudged him. With a flurry, dad crumbled, falling, and I realised what it meant.

Sitting down on the ground in shock and pain, my brain felt like it was fried, filling with boiling lava and melting me to the core. The Solarflares did this. It was the only logical reason.

I decided it on that very day.

I would hunt down the Solarflares.

Every last one.