The edge before the endless fall

[Coral's POV]

I didn't feel afraid. Just... empty. My heart pumped rapidly in my chest, trying to get back the beats from my going to be lost years in the last days I had.

This was a death sentence.

[Flashback]

Wait. Why was the ground moving?

Earth rumbled, deep and low. Small chunks of wet dirt flew into the air, flinging up small creatures. Wind whistled as the sky darkened. The wind-whipped trees fell back, pressed into the earth by the strong gusts. Windstorm woke with a yelp and a large wave of water crashed over us. I could barely hear anyone over the howling of the wind.

"All the Hydroblasts. Bring them here. Now."

[End of flashback]

All. They said All. The Hydroblasts would be the first to go.

Once they killed us, they would have wiped out the Hydroblasts. The balance of power will topple all over, the world would probably combust into flames and burn away the ground.

The cage opened with a soft creak and a couple of Skyclouds stared at us through the small gap.

"Y'all look miserable.

"Wouldn't you, if you were trapped in a cage and carted off to the Solarflares so we can die?" I asked.

"Good point." The largest Skycloud beckoned us out and we all spread our wings, wincing as they hit each other. After we all ascended to the sky, I noticed that we were still trapped in a large greyish bubble. I tapped the side of it curiously. It gave the feeling of it being solid but liquid at the same time. We were hovering way above a large... a VILLAGE! I looked down upon it.

Wow. It was bright. The houses were practically shining. But the house at the very end stood out. It was dark. Black like Shadowground scales, giving off the feeling of specialty. I also spotted two humans standing far below us. Two people. Black hair. Were they related in any way?

"Bright. Like when I blind dragons.' Said Blackberry looking down at the town.

The Skycloud agreeably said, "Yeah. I dont know why they want to live in somewhere like THAT bright. Anyway, the village with all the black blocks are there." He pointed somewhere further from the village. Snow village, I think. "These two villages are what's left of the human population... we think. So yeah. They're pretty rare."

Considering that the Skyclouds lived in a range of fifteen kilometres of their homeland, although occasionally heading out to hunt.

Honestly though, the first time I met the Skyclouds, I thought they were merciless and didn't care about the balance of the elemental powers. But now... them talking to us... letting us see the outside world, actually hunting for food to give us... these dragons clearly were leaning towards harmony.

Or they wanted us to enjoy life before leaving the world behind.

As we flew slowly across the world towards the fire dragons, towards our death, I began talking more to the Skyclouds. These dragons were in the higher class, so they were trusted to bring us to the Solarflares. They explained that there were five classed, the lowest having them live on the large wisps of cirrus clouds, and the highest class allowing them to live on their own altocumulus cloud. The highest was techincally the Mistress, and most Skyclouds lives on cumulonimbus clouds.

[and WOW, that was a lot of clouds.]

The surrounding temperature increased sharply and the lush green stopped abruptly and a land of rocky ground showed itself. No life, other than the occasional fire salamander crawling over the dusty dirt.

Then a mountain loomed out from nowhere. It was sharp and tall with jagged peaks stretching through the horizon, threatening to eat up the blue to replace it with black. We were close. I glanced up to the sky. Was this gonna be the last time I was to see the trees, grass, water, and feel the relaxation of smooth waves touching my scales again?

————————————————————————————————————————————

The Skyclouds left us at the very edge of the Teeth of flame, before it was too hot that it will kill us, and hovered above us, occasionally glancing down and making sure we were still there.

The heat was sweltering, boiling and burning our cool scales. I tried to get a wave of water, but it was way too hot. Winter was huffing softly under his breath. We were silent and did not dare to say a word. I spotted cracks in the ground, from under my claws to the very tip of the tallest, sharpest, most evil looking mountain. The cracks were glowing, and the earth was shaking a little.

That wasn't a mountain. That was a volcano. Sparks spewed from the top of the volcano and approached us. Just as it almost hit blackberry, who was also acting like a droopy leaf, the sparks vanished and disappeared into the stuffy air. I glanced up to look to the sky which was full of grey- black smoke. Red instead of blue to white figures circled us and landed heavily around us.

"You're coming with us."

Here we go.