Annoying dragons

"Woah! New dragon!" Squealed a tiny Solarflare, tugging at his wings and tail. "Oh, hello." Said Ash unenthusiastically, yanking his tail away from another dragon's tiny claws.

"Out of the way! I say, OUT OF THE WAY!" Snapped Amber, swiping her claws at the hatchlings, causing them to scatter. Ash watched sadly as the young dragons backed away, retreating into the small holes in the rock. Amber yanked Ash into the side chamber of the cave

"So there you are. Your annoying sisters and brothers."

Hmm, Ash thought wryly, I don't think I was this annoying when I was younger.

An image of his younger self biting his mother's tail floated around his head.

"Um, Amber?"

"Yeah?"

"Why is Flare in power?"

She let out a laugh. "Don't worry, I like you better. He overthrew the old Power."

She obviously thought that Ash wanted to know who Flare was to see if they were friendly in a romantic way. Well, Ash muttered inwardly, she's not Sky. Another picture drifted around in his mind. Ice-blue eyes, the soft rustling of pearl white wings-

No, he told himself firmly. Stop thinking about her. He was certain that she liked him as a brother. Even if she liked him liked him, Solarflares were not allowed to mate with other dragon species.

Just there and then his thoughts were distracted with a loud scuffling, and with a splash, Amber was surrounded with a water cage. She winced and tucked her wings. Ash glanced around, expecting- Winter? Blackberry? Oh, let it be Marsh! If only-

A certain Earthbound landed on top of Amber, a low growl filling the dark, humid cave. He sat neatly on her back, leaving his tail to flop onto Amber's snout. Her scales dimmed slightly and the fire on her wings vanished.

"Aaaah. My behind hurts." Grumbled Leo. Amber snorted a puff of smoke into the air, and received a slap in the nose with his tail.

"Hi Ash." Leo said cheerfully like he was sitting in a field and not on top of a hostile Solarstorm. "Did Marsh curse you to next month when me and Hurricane dramatically disappeared?"

Ah. So THAT was why he purposely set the obnoxious dragon on fire once. Ash shook himself, glancing at Amber, who looked mildly pissed off.

"Is this your friend? Or am I allowed to bite her?" asked Leo curiously, nudging Amber's side with a claw. Amber grumbled in a squashed voice, "Girlfriend." The Earthbound cocked his head. "Ash, then why did you go-" no, don't say it, Ash begged in his head- "Hankering after-" Right. Someone was getting bitten later- "Sky if you have a girlfriend?"

Idiot.

Amber glared at him. "Silence, you tiny earth mound."

"Shut up u hostile bug which totally-is-not-burning-my-butt or I'll bite your snout.'

Amber sniped, "Like to see you try."

"I think she's actually being serious." Warned Ash. "Burning scales, you know."

"You're lucky I can control it to some extent. Also, Ash, did you teach this disobedient dragon how to say shut up?"

Yeah. If Amber wasn't bothering to control her fireflare, Leo will be a pile of ashes and Ash would actually be cursed into next year or something. And no, I did NOT teach that Earthbound how to tell someone to be silent. It was probably Sky or Winter. Or Coral.

That brought up another question: WHY was Amber bothering to control it? He remembered that she used to complain that controlling the ability would suck up a lot of energy. Maybe she thought that Flare would kill her if she fried the captured Earthbound.

Back to the point, Ash. No point daydreaming.

"Also, are you the dragon who decided to dump me in lava and leave me unattended? I could literally go wherever I wanted in the volcano. Saw a blue dragon become black. And the other Water dragons. Your lack of guards in the king blah blah's living space is hilar-"

"Quiet, child."

"Hilarious, cuz dragons could literally come in and yeet him out of the volcano hole along with the lava. Why is he blue, by the way? Is it cause-"

Ash could literally see Amber's blood boiling and her patience reaching the end of its tether. Before the young dragon could be harmed by being bitten, boiled, fried, baked, roasted or whatever Amber was about to do, he yanked Leo out of the way and tucked him under his wing. The tiny dragon wasn't deterred and continued chirping, though his voice was a little muffled.

"You know what I was saying about your little siblings? Never mind. This ridiculous dragon is even more obnoxious."

Huh, and you never met Hurricane yet. He would say that the Earthbound was at level 10 of annoyingness and the Hydroblast with a level of 100.

"So what do you wanna do? I can follow you."

"Not gonna rat me out, are you?" Asked Ash suspiciously.

"Nah. I can be a real help as well, you know? The place changed a little."

"The Solarflares won't kill you?"

"I'm too powerful and important. It's at my expense, anyways. It's really boring here. I need an adventure, not sitting in a cave counting hatchlings."

Fine.

"Okay, lets go and see my friends."