~ 35 ~ Maneuvered Chess Piece

Hoseok entered the palace in the middle of the night

The emperor waited many days for his sons to make a move. Finally one of his sons dared to unlock palace gates after curfew. He got out of bed and wore his outer robe.

"Your majesty, the Third prince asked to see your majesty," an imperial guard said. "Third prince said it was important."

"I understand," the emperor said.

The emperor was disappointed it was only one of his sons.

Hoseok entered his father's chamber and bowed. "Imperial father, have you recovered?"

The emperor feigned a cough. He didn't believe Hoseok's filial son act. "Third son, what is so important that you needed to see me in the middle of the night?"

"Imperial father, I found out Fifth brother is prepared for a rebellion!" Hoseok said.

The emperor assessed Hoseok. He needed to see for himself if Taehyung truly intended to rebel as Hoseok reported.

"Imperial father, my guards have followed Fifth brother's suspicious activities for many days," Hoseok said. "Fifth brother is hiding Lee Jonghyeok's men in his manor. Imperial father, what are you going to do?"

"Do what?" the emperor asked.

Hoseok shivered to see his father's intimidating aura.

"Imperial father, I have a request," Hoseok said.

"Say it," the emperor said.

"Imperial father, if Fifth brother truly wants to rebel... imperial father please forgive fifth brother for his ignorant offense," Hoseok said.

The emperor narrowed his eyes.

"Imperial father, I believe others are forcing Fifth brother to rebel," Hoseok said. "This is why I wanted to report to imperial father so imperial father can persuade Fifth brother not to commit treason. Imperial father... I don't want to lose another brother."

"Come with me to your Fifth brother's manor!" the emperor ordered coldly.

The emperor didn't care about Hoseok's motives. He knew he wasn't young anymore and if one of his sons wanted to rebel then he needed to uproot their resources before a rebellion.