Thirty-Seven

I walked back into the room blankly, trying to decide how I felt about leaving. My heart was running in uneven beats which only happened when I was nervous or overthinking something.

    I closed the door behind me barely hearing the soft click as it closed. My sister had thrown a fit after the news, she had attempted to convince Tamlin to let us stay, though her attempts were futile. The two had gone upstairs together afterward and I loathed to know what happened after that.

    I knew that there would be no changing the High Lord's mind. He had a familiar glint of determination in his eyes and I just knew we would be leaving tomorrow.

I would be glad to see Nesta, Elain, and our father again. But I guess...maybe I'd miss Prythian. I wasn't fond of Tamlin—at all. But Lucien wasn't so bad, I suppose. He still annoyed me and sometimes I wanted to stab his eyes with steak knives. But I did like our constant banter, it was a good reprieve from being so serious all the time.

    But going home... it would be hardest because I knew exactly what was coming. I had gone to Prythian and been here for months, yet I made no move to escape. That was not what I was taught. That was not what I was supposed to do.

    And I'd be punished for it.

    Mother above, I hated punishments—or as they so loosely called them, lessons. I'd only been taught a lesson a few times and those were for minor inconveniences, for this level of treachery to the Flame...

    I didn't think I'd be able to get out of bed for a good long while.

I let out a long sigh as I walked toward my closet. I was conflicted.

    The only thing I wasn't conflicted about was stealing all the clothes from my closet before I left and keeping them for my own. At least I had my priorities straight. I began rummaging through the closet searching for some type of bag I could stuff things in until I heard the creak of the bedroom door opening. I wasn't entirely sure if I was supposed to be stealing the clothes so I practically ran from the closet plastering on a soft smile.

    I stepped into the main room searching for whoever just entered when my attention was snagged by Sereh looking at me. Before I had time to process Sereh was in front of me wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug.

    I wasn't expecting it. But I wrapped my arms around her anyway.

    In such a short time Sereh and I had become great friends. I would miss her.

    I hated goodbyes. They were nearly unbearable.

    "What's wrong?" I asked.

    Sereh shook her head and released me from her embrace, "Well, you're leaving." she said matter of factly, "and as much as I absolutely loathe to admit it. You're not so bad for a mortal."

    I laughed and pulled her into another hug, "You're not so bad for a faerie," I laughed a bit.

    "Stay safe, alright?" Sereh cautioned me and it sounded a bit like a threat.

    I nodded and told her the same before she left the room and I realized that was the last time I'd see her.

    But there was one last piece of business I needed to take care of.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    Traveling through the dark and enchanting woods was no longer frightening, nor was the large wooden structure I now stood in front of. I hadn't dared to go back to this place whether it was out of fear or guilt, I didn't know. The last time I'd gone, I'd flown, and it was a new type of high.

    But then the guilt of being happy to set in—a problem I'd had for years. I wanted to be happy. I really did. I just didn't know how.

I closed my eyes hearing the wind as it rustled the leaves on the large tree branches above me. The chirping of the crickets as they hid on the grounds. It was surreal here.

    Opening my eyes I raised my hand to the maze of branches and watched as they detangled themselves for each other and created a path just for me. I walked through the dark tunnel, hearing the branches entangle themselves again behind me. I came to the wooden door and pushed it open without hesitance.

    I felt them before they even looked at me. When they did it was odd, like they knew it was the last time I'd see them. I heard the large thump of footsteps on the grass turned dark by the night. I looked over and came face to face with Azail.

    I smiled softly at the Wyvern and finally spoke, "I wanted to say goodbye."

    Azail tilted his head at me as though he could understand—who knows, maybe he could.

    I took a few steps forward until I was face to face with my scaly friend, "I'm being forced back to the mortal lands and I don't know..." I trailed off, "I don't know if I'll be back."

    I continued, "I know I haven't come much but I was...scared." I hated how the words felt, the weakness they held.

    Azail leaned down and rested his head on my shoulder and I swore it was a wyvern-y version of a hug, "Until next time. Maybe we'll fly again."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: Writing is hard.