Forty-Four

Elain—to my great surprise—had two horses and food ready when Feyre and I had come down in more suitable clothes to brave the woods of Prythian. Our father was nowhere in sight, but I didn't expect him to be there anyway. Elain threw her arms around the both of us, hugging tight, "I remember—I remember all of it."

    I wrapped my arms around her and Feyre spoke, "Be on your guard. All of you."

    She nodded and looked at my younger sister with tears in her eyes, "I would have liked to see the continent with you, Feyre." I looked between the two, smiling sadly at each other.

    I hated to leave them all, but it was safer for them if we weren't here. And I wouldn't risk them for the selfish reason of wanting to stay with my family.

    I stepped away, letting my sisters have their moment to say goodbye as I did with Nesta. I walked over to the horse, kind of wishing it was Amaris but I was grateful anyway.

    I reached my hand out, petting the creature before I attached my small bag of things, putting one foot in the stirrup and swinging myself up and over onto the horse. I looked behind me slightly to see Feyre walking over to her own horse and mounting it. The two of us gave each other a sharp nod before we took off towards the direction of the wall that separated mortals and immortals.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    We rode all day, barely stopping to sleep—which turned out to be very hard—then we took off again riding to the manor. I wasn't thrilled to go back, but it was what was best. There was something afoot and we needed to figure out what it was, what better place to do that than a High Lord's home?

    We rode and rode until we passed the Forrest and entered Spring, I had resisted Tamlin's puny attempt to make me fall asleep when we left and things began to look familiar again.

    The wall took some maneuvering as we passed, but we did it. And we kept going.

    But as we grew closer a silence fell over the land, like a blanket covering sounds, even the wind ceased its whispering as the manor came into sight.

    But there was something...wrong with it. The servants that had been tending and caring for the grounds the last time we were here had seemed to pick up and leave, the bushes had overgrown and vines grew from the ground and up the house, maybe Tamlin had a fit.

    The two of us abandoned our horses in the yard running into the house Feyre began yelling for Tamlin, calling out his name but there was no answer. I even yelled for him and Lucien a few times with her, but the house was dreadfully empty.

    The house was ruined, tossed to pieces, the table was in pieces and the walls had been marred with red stains and tears. Something really, really bad had happened here. But Feyre had refused to stop calling for her lover.

    I walked over to her, placing a comforting hand on her arm she looked at me with silver-lined eyes and I saw in her eyes as she realized.

    Everyone was gone.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: short chapt, but we're getting somewhere.