Forty-Six

I didn't let myself think about my decision as the three of us traveled. This was my—our, responsibility, and even if it wasn't I wouldn't let Pryithian stay enslaved to a monster. Feyre wouldn't budge about going no matter how hard I tried—though, all my attempts were half-hearted, no matter how much I feared for my little sister. Selfishly, I didn't want to be alone when I entered the lion's den.

Alis had stayed quiet as we traveled only speaking when necessary. I watched as the pale mountain grew closer in the distance, and my nerves had been increasing.

I'd walked into many death traps and walked about, but something felt...different about this one. Like it was a one-way ticket.

Alis had to lead us to a dark hill with a cave mouth that I believed we'd have to enter through. Alis stopped as she looked at it, turning to us, "All dark and miserable roads lead Under the Mountain," she said so quietly her voice was but a whisper on the wind. She pointed to the cave, "it's an ancient shortcut—once considered sacred, but no more."

I took a steadying breath, refusing to show my fear as I looked at the dark cave mouth that seemed to hold an air of silence.

"I reckon you're regretting your hotheadedness right now," Alis spoke from behind me, I turned my head slightly bringing her into view.

I looked at her, "I don't regret it. That doesn't mean I don't think before I decide to jump into something I know will likely lead to my death." I told her before looking back to the cave. I clasped my hands together.

I heard Feyre speak behind me, "we will free him."

"You'll be lucky if she gives you a clean death. You'll be lucky if you even get brought before her." I sucked in another breath. Alis really wasn't helping right now. But at least she was being honest and I knew what I was walking into. "A few rules to remember girls," I turned around to look her in the eye, "Don't drink the wine—it's not like what you had at solstice, and will do more harm than good. Don't make deals with anyone unless your life depends on it—and even then, consider whether it's worth it. And most of all: don't trust a soul in there—" she looked at Feyre, "Not even your Tamlin. Your senses are your greatest enemies; they will be waiting to betray you."

I nodded my thanks to Alis, I knew most of that, but it was kind of her to even tell us.

"Do you have a plan?" She asked.

"No," I spoke. Not really. I don't know what it's like in there, there's no plan I could make.

Alis glanced at my weapons, "Don't expect that steel to do you any good."

I grinned at the faerie, "I think you'll find they're quite useful when dealing with the inhabitants of these lands." Alis narrowed her eyes on my dagger as if she was trying to see what was so special about them.

She continued, "There was one part of the curse. One part we can't tell you. Even now, my bones are crying out for just mentioning it. One part you have to figure out...on your own...one part she, she....she..."

"It's alright Alis," I told her, softening my expression, "We appreciate the help you've given us. Thank you."

"Keep your ears open, girl. Listen to what you hear," she advised, I offered her a tentative smile and nodded before turning to my sister.

"Thank you," I repeated, I wanted her to know that I didn't take this lightly. She was putting herself on the line for us, and most people wouldn't do that.

"It's a rare day indeed when someone thanks you for bringing them to their death." I laughed a little. A rare day indeed. "I'll wish you luck nonetheless."

Feyre stepped up, "Once you retrieve them if you and your nephews need somewhere to flee," she said, "cross the wall. Go to our family's house. Ask for Nesta—our eldest sister. She knows who you are. Knows everything. She will shelter you in any way she can."

Nesta would do it. She does it hesitantly and she wouldn't be happy about it. But she'd do what's right.

I spared Alis one last look before Feyre and I spared each other a fearful glance as we began walking towards the cave.

"Are you ready?" I asked her.

"Are you?" she countered.

"Hell no," I answered, Feyre's lips lifted a bit at that.

But all remaining humor disappeared as we entered the cave.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The cave had no sound. Like even the air was afraid to whisper in here for fear of being found. My breath echoed through me, the only disrupting sound was our boots on the rocky floors. We kept close to the wall to navigate the dark, my hand had turned numb from the cold, but I'd dealt with worse.

After what felt like an eternity, a crack of orange light filtered the dark. And then there were voices.

Hissing and braying, eloquent and guttural. They burst the coat of silence like a bomb. I grabbed Feyre and pulled her closer to the wall. The two of us stopped walking. Stopped breathing. But the sound passed and faded.

We crept toward the light. Blinking against the light coming from a crack in the stone. It opened onto a crudely carved passageway. We lingered in the shadows. The crack in the wall was large enough for someone to fit through—it was jagged enough I could tell that it was not often used.

The passageway was deathly quiet. But I didn't trust my ears, I felt no heat or chill on my flesh, telling me that there was no one nearby. I hated my childhood, but I was grateful for the skills I'd been taught. There had been enough times where Stijn snuck up on me to try to kill me that I knew when High Fae was near. I knew that particular feat would be useful here.

I looked to my sister and gestured silently to the opening, she looked hesitant and considered it for a moment before she nodded.

I took small steps toward the opening, careful to conceal the sound my boots would make. I eased towards the tiny opening, sucking un my stomach and scuffling through until I was in the open hallway. I looked around taking in the hallway, it was a mix of luxury and ancient. You could tell these walls were carved from stone, but the sparkling chandeliers that hung from the ceiling told me the halls were cared for.

Feyre came through shortly after, her weapons hissed against the wall and she cringed, but I didn't sense anything coming...yet. She hurried out and the two of us scuffled down the hallway. We paused at the bend of the hall. I had made sure Feyre was in front of me, I didn't want her at the back, I was trained and could sense when someone was sneaking up on me.

She looked around the hallway and her face contorted in frustration, the hallway went on the pale stone still lined with bright lights. This place was like a maze, twisting and turning until you came to a dead end.

And then I felt it. A scaly, slithering presence on my back reached for me. I spun, grabbing the bony hand before it could touch me. I looked at the person...no not a person.

I recognized the creature that I'd seen in so many books instantly and had to consciously school my face into neutrality.

The Attor looked at where I'd caught its hand and I squeezed harder, the Attor winced a little bit and covered up its pain quickly as it looked at me, "What are two pretty little humans like you doing down here?" it whispered.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: OMG, OMG, OMG