Sixty-Three

If I squinted the ceiling of my cell looked like the night sky. It was void except for the small bits of light that escaped from the hallway that reflected the rock on the ceiling.

I wished I could see the real night sky. Wished I could see that stars one last time.

I knew I was going to die down here.

Rhysand had alerted me that Feyre's next task was in two days and that I was going to be forced to attend. Why would Amarantha force me to attend if other than to make me suffer? If Feyre's trial killed her, I would never be able to forgive myself for allowing it to happen. I would never be able to live with myself.

I felt as though I was standing on the edge of a cliff, teetering between life and death. The feeling wasn't entirely unfamiliar. I'd felt that way my entire life and yet somehow this time it felt so real.

There was a faint whisper of something through the walls. A soft melody that flowed like the ocean. I listened harder as the sound grew louder, as the music grew triumphant.

I was sure I must have been hallucinating the sound because it was a piece that I had played only once on the pianoforte years ago and yet I remembered it so well. When I first played it had felt like it was born from an ember of memory in the back of my mind, so small I was never able to play it again.

The sound bounced off the walls and I closed my eyes allowing myself to feel the music in my bones as I lived it. As I breathed it.

Suddenly I didn't feel so alone anymore as the music comforted me like an old friend.

I was again taken to that place so deep in my mind, the place of starlight and happiness. The mountains were so stark against the dreamlike place as I looked at the vast expanse of water beyond. I felt at peace.

And for a moment—only a moment, I was okay.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: baby chapter for the plots sake.