Forty-two

3 years ago

    "What do you mean?" Astrid asked me as we sat in the dark corner of a crowded club. The music danced through my mind while I watched the people do the same.

    "Well, I just wonder where thoughts go when they're forgotten," I looked at her as I leaned in as though it was some big secret, "Like is there just a giant hole that you can find them? Because I don't want people to find mine, those are secret." I put my finger to my lips and shushed her as a gesture of just how dire the situation was.

    Ok, so maybe I'd had one or two or seven drinks, but I was barely even drunk. I was just wondering about the thought thing because I was smart. Was someone reading my thoughts right then?

    That was so mean.

    "I–I don't know," Astrid started off trying to think about how that would happen as she furrowed her brows, "We–we have to figure this out, Dani, if someone finds my thoughts they'll see all of them. We can't let it happen."

    She'd had just as much—if not more to drink than I had and I was sure this was making her crazy just as much as it was me.

    I sat up straight as I held my hand to my brow and saluted her, "I'll get right on it, Captain." The two of us burst out laughing, finding that so funny for some reason.

    Astrid's eyes wandered to the dance floor and mine did as well, immediately finding Flynn with his new boo thang on the dance floor. Flynn had met him at the bar only seconds ago and now they were dirty dancing and it was slightly scarring.

    "I can never un-see that," I spoke immediately looking away and rubbing my eyes, hoping the image would disappear from my brain.

    Flynn was like my brother, and Astrid my sister. They were as much my family as the ones that I looked forward to seeing when I went home.

    I couldn't help myself when my eyes wandered to the bar seeing Kai and his blonde hair sitting there sulking, "Typical." I scoffed, he had been pissy all day because I'd beat him at our

bet. When We came to the bar he immediately ordered a round and had sat there all night in his misery.

    He was such a baby.

    Yes, that was mean but it was true. If he was gonna act like a baby because he decided to make a bet that he couldn't win, then I was going to call it out for what it was.

    "Can you two just kiss and make up already?" Astrid groaned as she followed my line of sight.

    I rolled my eyes at her. Kai and I were friends and nothing more as of the moment, and my feelings for him were complicated but the four of us were as close as friends could be and there was nothing I'd do to jeopardize that.

    "He's just being a prick because he lost our bet."

    "Which one? You two are the most competitive people in the cosmos."

    "The one where he said his aim was better than mine, and I said he could go fuck himself. And then he bet me 70 coins that he was better but I won."

    "Oh, that one." She looked as though she had an epiphany. We didn't make that many bets, did we?

    I looked back at my best friend admiring her blonde hair and caramel eyes. She and Kai sometimes looked like twins, though they were nothing alike. The only defining feature was their eyes while Astrid was a light brown, Kai's were a dark blue.

    We all had different eyes, and I always found it ironic, as we fit together like a puzzle. Astrid's were brown. Kai's blue. Flynn's Hazel. And mine Green.

    We all met at different times yet it was like we were meant to be friends.

    A thought struck my brain and I sobered a bit, "Do you ever think about running away?" I asked her.

    "From what?"

    "Everything. The Flame. All these responsibilities." I realized the way my statement was phrased and if anyone who words for the Flame heard surely be reported. I began to laugh in an attempt to soften what I'd said, "Forget it. I'm drunk."

"Yes." Astrid answered my question and I regarded her with curiosity, "They're Evil, Dani. We were young and they manipulated us. It's not right." Astrid shook her head but her eyes were alight with a new determination, "Promise me something."

    I nodded for her to continue, "If anything happens to any of us. To Kai. To Flynn. To me. You make sure our deaths weren't in vain. I have no doubt our dear masters will have something to do with it. You're invaluable, Dani, they'll keep you alive. But we're leverage and that's ok. I just need you to promise me," She paused before she whispered, "Promise me You'll destroy them with your bare hands."

    "I will." I agreed.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

And I intended to keep that promise even if it took a thousand years. I'd rip the Flame apart until they were left crawling and begged me for the mercy I'd never give them.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: ooooOOOOoo