Chapter 17- Temptation

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen
Give him the word that I'm not a rover
Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over
Sandman, I'm so alone
Don't have nobody to call my own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
Mr Sandman • The Chordettes

Within the week, the storms had cleared ahead of the Dawn Treader. This was brilliant for more than one reason, but now they could see an island ahead of them. Clearly, they were going to have things to do on the island.

    Since the nightmare, James had refused to leave Caspian's side. So, when they were put on the longboats, and had to decide who went where, James made sure that he was sat beside Caspian. He couldn't let his eyes stray to far from the King. The blonde had to know he was safe. It couldn't happen any other way.

     From the boat opposite, Reepicheep sighed in relief. Caspian, Edmund, Harvey and James were all rowing vigorously so they could get to the island. They were all curious.

  "I doubt the Lords stopped here, my liege." Reep called. "There's no sign of anything living."

  "Right." Caspian thought for a moment, before nodding. "Well, once we get shore, take your men and search for food and water. The five of us," he said, meaning the men and Lucy. "will look for clues."

  Eustace, who had been positioned at the front of the longboat, so to be out of sight, suddenly became wide eyed. "Hang on, you mean the six of us." When the group turned to face him, he shied away, speaking again in a hushed tone. "Come on, please don't send me back to the rat."

  "I heard that." Remarked Reepicheep.

  Eustace scoffed. "Big ears."

  "I heard that too."

  There was a collective chuckle from the group, especially from James. "I admire your candour, Reep."

  With a courteous smile as always, the royalist mouse continued. "Thank you, Your Majesty."

    It didn't take very long at all for the longboats to arrive at the barren shore, and swiftly, Caspian whisked away his friends. They were to explore the island, and find whatever they could about the Lords. However, it seemed that James' injury was still bothering him due to the fact that he hadn't been able to stretch it and work it like usual.

     Due to this, Caspian had grabbed a hold of the blonde Pevensie's hand so that he was more steady. James appreciated it, and the black haired King had been made well aware.

     "Look, we're not the first ones on this island." Caspian remarked as they found a ditch in the sand-like stone. It was almost a verticals tunnel, with a length of rope dropped down.

  Edmund was the first to reply, despite James' curiosity. "The Lords?"

  "Could be." The Telamarine shrugged.

  "Be careful." Warned James, holding back Caspian with a soft touch to his shoulder. "I don't want you to break anything."

  Nodding, the King knew that the blonde was right. With that, he grabbed one of the beige rocks from the ground, and threw it into the hole. The group heard it clash of various other rocks, but it was a far fall. "What do you think could be down there?"