Epilogue

James had always believed that he would see them again. He hadn't known where, or when, but he knew it would happen.

     He'd hoped it to be on his wedding day. As he'd no family in Narnia other than Caspian, James knew he would have to walk down the aisle alone. His nerves had amounted so high that he thought he was going to be sick.

    All he wanted to do was hug his brothers and sisters. But they weren't there.

     When Caspian and James adopted their son, Tumnus, the same thing happened. The blonde could imagine the look on Lucy's face when she would've found out. No one would have been more excited than she. The future King of Narnia was the son of two of the greatest rulers their world had ever known.

     As Tumnus grew, James shared all of his Narnian adventures. The great and the ugly alike, all containing the most vivid depictions of his uncles and aunts. The King and Queens of old wouldn't be forgotten. They wouldn't be subject to history.

     And all through his final days, James had whispered to Caspian all about his plans to see them again. To see his family.

     To anyone else, they would have just been the natterings of an old man, but Caspian knew. The years had blended into this large mass of time, and James didn't care to work out how old he was.

    He was old enough to know that he was too elderly to rule, but he was young enough to remember that no one ever came back.

     Not even Eustace.

     Narnia had no need for them anymore.

    When the time finally came, and every word has been spoken time and time again, James transcended.

    He didn't feel as old anymore. His hands weren't as wrinkly with extra skin as they once were, but instead, just held the scarred tissue from his teenage days. The best time of his life.

     Then he looked up.

     James recognised the room. It was Cair Paravel. The place in Narnia he held in highest regard as that was where everything changed.

     His mind was cast back to that day, though it didn't feel so far gone, when he strode the halls beside his brothers and sisters, a new destiny assigned to them. He, High King James the Arcane, Heir of Narnia and of Aslan, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Table and the Emperor of the Lone Islands, was only a child when he was given that title. But he lived up to the promise he had made.

     James had never once thought of breaking it.

     Despite it being all those years ago, the urge to walk the halls once more was so compelling that he couldn't help himself.

     The five stone thrones stood as tall as the day they were built, and James smiled. He could've sat on his, but caught sight of the balcony, and knew that was his calling instead.

     He's enjoyed standing there in his first set of teen years. He and Tumnus, the Faun, often laughed there when he needed to clear his mind. It brought him much joy to be there once again, just as it would bring joy to anyone.

     James could've stood there for years, and time would never have caught up with him. He would have never noticed, and maybe, he had allowed himself to be so immersed in the place that it had been years- there was no way to tell.

    But sometime between then and forever, things changed.

     Warmth embraced him, one at a time, the best growing as the years passed. Arms engulfed him, keeping him safe, as smiles flees through the air in a way they'd yet to see.

     When the end finally came, the real end, James wasn't alone anymore. He wasn't alone, and he wasn't the only Pevensie looking at the ocean from the balcony of Cair Paravel.

     And, at last, he wasn't the only one at peace. 

• - - •
706
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.