Chapter 4: Meeting an old friend

"Just agree Gauri!" Anika said frustrated, "You love him! There's no other explanation!"

Anika was tired of her ranting on about things that made no sense to her brain. Gauri was being too philosophical that she seemed to ignore the obvious. That she liked him!

"I don't..." Gauri started but stopped immediately as she looked at Anika who was glaring at her.

"You do Gauri. I've seen it. I've felt it." Anika said in a matter of fact tone, trying to calm herself as people were now looking at them.

What a place to discuss such things. I can't even express myself in this cafe! Anika thought.

"I don't and we're poles apart." Gauri defended herself.

"Opposites attract."

"It may not work in the long run."

"I'm still in love with Shivaay and so is he. We're poles apart and we've been in love for five years and married since one year." Anika shrugged.

"That's different." Gauri replied uncomfortably

"How so?" Anika asked frowning.

"Well...you were sure about him.." Gauri hesitated as she tried to come up with better explanations.

"Well unlike you, I didn't overlook my feelings."

Gauri frowned at her, "I'm not overlooking, I know I don't feel like that. My feelings are not constant!" She got up from her seat and then turning to Anika, she continued, "I'll be back. I need to go to the washroom."

Anika just nodded and looked at her friend's retreating figure.

Her friend. Gauri. Her best friend. One of the people she cared the most about. She had always been someone who firmly believed that relationships were sacred and not something to be playing around with. Even when most of their friends got into relationships because they liked eachother, she would always say that she would get into a relationship only when she was sure that it was love. That is, as long as she was not sure that she could love the other person for her whole life, she wouldn't be in one.

Sometimes, she was too innocent for this cruel world. Anika sighed.

This thing about Gauri, about being sure of love was what was chasing her away from the one man who loved her whole heartedly.

Anika was definitely shocked and a little angry at Omkara when he had first confessed his feelings to her. Angry because of the emotional turmoil he had put Gauri in. She knew it wasn't his fault but Gauri thought it was her fault for giving away signs when she didn't mean to.

Anyway, now she was sure Omkara was the man for Gauri as his wait for all these years clearly stated his true love for her. She had checked up his friends and collegues, did a little research on him, and well to her utmost relief she was right, he had never in his life been in any relationship. Not that it mattered, but it made her feel good to know that he meant what he said - that he could never feel for anyone except Gauri.
He was loyal to Gauri despite the fact that she rejected him.

And Gauri well...it was obvious he mattered to her, the way he affected her, they way he was always in her thoughts, the way she would unknowingly bring him up in conversations. Omkara and Gauri weren't in contact for 11 years and yet, she hadn't forgotten him or thought less about him.

Why would she not accept her love for him then?

Anika stood up from her seat and walked up towards the restroom and saw a tall muscular figure with long hair talking on the phone. Curious to see a man with long hair, she kept looking at him until he turned around a little, still unaware of her gaze on him. Looking at his face, Anika stood frozen on her spot.